K3: Rough audio with amp even using voice recorder- SOLVED

K3: Rough audio with amp even using voice recorder- SOLVED

Ignacy
KPA3 had only 100mA idle current. After adjusting to 400mA (R11 on top of KPA3) the signal is very good at any power level.

I also found by testing on the other radio that CM500 sounds very different close (bassy) and a bit apart (more balanced).

Thank you all for the comments.

Ignacy, NO9E

Re: K3: Rough audio with amp even using voice recorder- SOLVED

Jim Brown-10
On Wed,9/17/2014 3:52 PM, Ignacy wrote:
> I also found by testing on the other radio that CM500 sounds very different
> close (bassy) and a bit apart (more balanced).

For most voices, a good starting point for TXEQ with the CM500 is to
fully cut the lowest three bands, cut the 4th band about 6dB, leave all
the others at 0 dB. Then get some critical signal reports from hams you
trust to have good ears.

73, Jim K9YC

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3: Rough audio with amp even using voice recorder- SOLVED

Ignacy
Very good suggestions. When listening on teh other radio, I used your settings and added 4 db to 1.6 and 2.4. But could sound only good with my ears that have some treble weakness.

But CM500 1 inch and 2 inches away sound completely different.

Ignacy

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 8:53 PM, Jim Brown-10 [via Elecraft] <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed,9/17/2014 3:52 PM, Ignacy wrote:
> I also found by testing on the other radio that CM500 sounds very different
> close (bassy) and a bit apart (more balanced).

For most voices, a good starting point for TXEQ with the CM500 is to
fully cut the lowest three bands, cut the 4th band about 6dB, leave all
the others at 0 dB. Then get some critical signal reports from hams you
trust to have good ears.

73, Jim K9YC

Message delivered to [hidden email]

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/K3-Rough-audio-with-amp-even-using-voice-recorder-SOLVED-tp7593179p7593180.html
To unsubscribe from K3: Rough audio with amp even using voice recorder- SOLVED, click here.
NAML

Re: K3: Rough audio with amp even using voice recorder- SOLVED

The TXEQ settings for the KX3 are the same as for the K3.

On Wed,9/17/2014 6:19 PM, Ignacy wrote:
> Very good suggestions. When listening on teh other radio, I used your
> settings and added 4 db to 1.6 and 2.4. But could sound only good with my
> ears that have some treble weakness.

I don't usually recommend boosting the highs except for a pro mic that
needs it for ham radio. While it may sound better for your hearing loss,
it can cause overload of the audio path.

> But CM500 1 inch and 2 inches away sound completely different.

Yes. I always recommend that the mic be 2-3 inches above and to the side
of the mouth. This avoids bass build-up from being too close, and also
breath pops.