K3 Serial Port

ni0c
Another solution is provided by Eterlogic's "Virtual Serial Port Emulator,"
a free download from Eterlogic's web site.  You can create a serial port
"splitter," for using diifferent software programs that talk with the K3.

I use it to run DXBase 2007 and DXLab's Commander program
simultaneously.

73,
Chuck  NI0C
K2/10 s/n 5853
K3/100 s/n 1061

"Umm, adding a second serial port won't help if both apps need to talk to
the K3!

Try running LP-Bridge, and connecting the two apps to (different)
virtual serial ports that it uses.

I don't use DX4WIN nor Digipan, but other combinations of apps seem to
work quite well.

http://www.telepostinc.com/LPB.html

     ~Iain / N6ML"

Re: K3 Serial Port

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: K3 Serial Port

hf4me
A friend put me onto EDGEPORT USB to serial devices.  Run 300-400 new.  Ebay
has them (take-outs I think) and I bought a 4 port one for 25 and an 8 port
one for 35.  Love them.  Hardware has comm 1 and 2 and the Edgeport software
configures to comm 5-8 or 5-12.

Using the 4 port one with Windows XP Pro to K3, PSKMETER, and TM-D710 right
now.  Works FB.  The 8 port is for my second shack PC and will connect the
remaining radios, TNC, rigblaster to my 746, and my other 2 meter rig.

73, de Jim KG0KP

Re: K3 Serial Port

W0FK
I can echo Jim's "endorsement" of the Edgeport device. I have the Edgeport/8 on my XP machine, and it has worked flawlessly.

Lou, W0FK

hf4me wrote
A friend put me onto EDGEPORT USB to serial devices.  Run 300-400 new.  Ebay
has them (take-outs I think) and I bought a 4 port one for 25 and an 8 port
one for 35.  Love them.  Hardware has comm 1 and 2 and the Edgeport software
configures to comm 5-8 or 5-12.

Using the 4 port one with Windows XP Pro to K3, PSKMETER, and TM-D710 right
now.  Works FB.  The 8 port is for my second shack PC and will connect the
remaining radios, TNC, rigblaster to my 746, and my other 2 meter rig.

73, de Jim KG0KP
St. Louis, MO

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that
genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Re: K3 Serial Port

K7TV
I use an EdgePort with 2 serial ports and can testify to their quality.
Bought this years ago when the cheap versions didn't work very well (at
least that was my experience).
In contrast, the EdgePort worked right from the start, and the EdgePort
people provided great support when I wanted to change the configuration.
This is the expensive Rolls Royce of serial ports, and these days the cheap
ones seem to work fine.
But if the EdgePorts can be had cheaply on ebay I wouldn't hesitate to
choose the same brand today.

73,
Erik K7TV

>A friend put me onto EDGEPORT USB to serial devices.  Run 300-400 new.
>Ebay
> has them (take-outs I think) and I bought a 4 port one for 25 and an 8
> port
> one for 35.  Love them.  Hardware has comm 1 and 2 and the Edgeport
> software
> configures to comm 5-8 or 5-12.
>
> Using the 4 port one with Windows XP Pro to K3, PSKMETER, and TM-D710
> right
> now.  Works FB.  The 8 port is for my second shack PC and will connect the
> remaining radios, TNC, rigblaster to my 746, and my other 2 meter rig.
>
> 73, de Jim KG0KP

Re: K3 Serial Port

N8LP
Eterlogic can work as long as the two programs don't poll much, reducing the chance of collisions. It takes all incoming data and mixes it together, which can cause lost or corrupted commands. It also sends all K3 responses to all connected programs, which can be a problem with some programs, which may not support all the incoming commands. Some programs also require a proper response to each command in sequence, and will be confused by a response that was not just polled for.

It is a very useful program for many things, though, and should make a good addition to LP-Bridge for some of the more exotic setups requiring bridges between programs and hardware, a second PC, etc. As long as the connection is one-to-one (or one-to-many under some circumstances) it should be fine, but I haven't tested it.

73,
Larry N8LP

Message: 18