K3 Time for Users of XP Home?

ALAN GARD
Hi to Group

The more frequent correction of computer time in XP seems to apply only to XP Professional.  Is this right and, if so, is there an acceptable solution for XP Home?

Regards
Alan G4LWA

Re: K3 Time for Users of XP Home?

w0mu
You have to go into the registry and change a value.  I am sure someone just
posted that link.  If not Google it.  I just went through this with XP home
and it can be done.

CC Packet Cluster W0MU-1
W0MU.NET or  67.40.148.194

never get over." Ben Franklin

Re: K3 Time for Users of XP Home?

Julian, G4ILO

ALAN GARD wrote
The more frequent correction of computer time in XP seems to apply only to XP Professional.  Is this right and, if so, is there an acceptable solution for XP Home?
I recently posted to the list recommending a program called NTP for Windows. I cannot see anything in the documentation for it to suggest that it won't run on the Home version of XP, although I only have the Professional version so I haven't tried it.
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222 KX3 #110
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html
* KTune - http://www.g4ilo.com/ktune.html

Re: K3 Time for Users of XP Home?

Ed K1EP
I use Dimension4 for a time server.  Works great for both client and
server on XP, W2K, W98, etc.

At 3/16/2009 02:15 PM, Julian, G4ILO wrote:

>ALAN GARD wrote:
> >
> > The more frequent correction of computer time in XP seems to apply only to
> > XP Professional.  Is this right and, if so, is there an acceptable
> > solution for XP Home?
> >

>I recently posted to the list recommending a program called NTP for Windows.
>I cannot see anything in the documentation for it to suggest that it won't
>run on the Home version of XP, although I only have the Professional version
>so I haven't tried it.

Re: K3 Time for Users of XP Home?

David Woolley (E.L)
Julian, G4ILO wrote:

> I recently posted to the list recommending a program called NTP for Windows.
> I cannot see anything in the documentation for it to suggest that it won't
> run on the Home version of XP, although I only have the Professional version
> so I haven't tried it.

I first used the reference implementation (which is what NTP for Windows
is), on Windows, on NT 3.5.  It is possible that support for 3.5 has
been broken in later versions, but it should certainly work on all
recent versions of NT, and XP is just a version of NT.  (I'm not 100%
sure if the Meinberg installer has been modified for the more
restrictive directory choices imposed by Vista - most professional users
are trying to stick with XP.)

As I missed last time, and Julian has hinted at, a proper implementation
of NTP, like this, uses adaptive polling intervals, so, with the default
configuration, will start at 64 seconds and increase to 1024 seconds, if
it thinks that that will give the best compromised between phase and
frequency error.

--
David Woolley
"The Elecraft list is a forum for the discussion of topics related to