K3 V3.03 Two band receive question

Joel R. Hallas
The ability to have the sub receiver on a different band is great, but I am
having some problems getting it to do one thing that I had hoped it could
do.

A big plus would be to be able to communicate on one band, using the VFO B
for transmit and the sub-receiver for receive, and then use the main
receiver IF output to view a second band on the IF connected panadapter.
Since there seems to be no way to get to the sub receiver IF. (?)

The only way that I can seem to get the K3 to transmit on the VFO B
frequency is in split mode. If I'm in split mode and change the bands on VFO
A, it drops out of split and transmit goes back to VFO A. If I try to go to
split mode while on different bands, it says "split N/A."

I have found a way to do it. If I start up with VFO A and B on the same band
with the sub rcvr on, I can engage split mode and then manually spin the VFO
A dial until I get to the second band. Even with course tuning, this takes a
lot of spinning.

Am I missing something here??

Regards, Joel
Joel R. Hallas, W1ZR

Re: K3 V3.03 Two band receive question

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604
   Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 17:17:32 -0400
   From: "Joel R. Hallas" <[hidden email]>

   A big plus would be to be able to communicate on one band, using the VFO B
   for transmit and the sub-receiver for receive, and then use the main
   receiver IF output to view a second band on the IF connected panadapter.
   Since there seems to be no way to get to the sub receiver IF. (?)

You can add an IF output for the second RX.  Below is a quote from an
earlier message about this.  And Wayne told me there is a TMP
connector on the subRX board for an IF out, although Elecraft has no
current plans to provide such.  You could get a spare cable from them
to hack up for the purpose, though.

73, doug

-quote from earlier message-

W3SZ posted about that in the LP-Pan group:

(don't know if you have to be a member of the group to read that)

Basically:

HTH,

     ~Iain / N6ML

Re: K3 V3.03 Two band receive question

wayne burdick
Hi Joel,

You can only use VFO B for transmit when you're in split mode, at
present. You found a clever work-around, but I don't recommend doing it
this way. Be sure to monitor your TX signal if you do; the synth or
filters may not be set up correctly on TX.

As someone else already posted, it is possible to get a buffered I.F.
output from the sub receiver, but this has not been tested by Elecraft.
It'll probably work, based on what I read, and we did provide a
connector for it on the sub RX itself.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

Joel R. Hallas wrote:

> A big plus would be to be able to communicate on one band, using the
> VFO B
> for transmit and the sub-receiver for receive,... and then use the main
> receiver IF output to view a second band on the IF connected
> panadapter.
> Since there seems to be no way to get to the sub receiver IF. (?)
>
> The only way that I can seem to get the K3 to transmit on the VFO B
> frequency is in split mode. If I'm in split mode and change the bands
> on VFO
> A, it drops out of split and transmit goes back to VFO A. If I try to
> go to
> split mode while on different bands, it says "split N/A."
>
> I have found a way to do it. If I start up with VFO A and B on the
> same band
> with the sub rcvr on, I can engage split mode and then manually spin
> the VFO
> A dial until I get to the second band. Even with course tuning, this
> takes a
> lot of spinning.
>
> Am I missing something here??
>
> Regards, Joel