K3 and JT65 (JT9) power instability problem

K3 and JT65 (JT9) power instability problem

OH9VD
I have set the K3/100 output power to 10W.

When I start to send in JT65-mode the power rises slowly from 2W to 10W after few send/receive periods.
After reaching the 10W the power stabilizes.

Everything seems to work properly except the power instability, anyway I can have qso's with JT65 and JT9.

The problem is not dependent of band I use (at least bands from 20m up).

I wonder if there anything I can do for the little anoying problem?

I have the newest firmware installed and  I use the newest version of WSJT-X.

73 de OH9VD, Jarmo

Re: K3 and JT65 (JT9) power instability problem

k5oai
the K3 is not like other rigs
you must first set the K3's ALC
to show 4 bars with the 5th bar flickering

then set the pwr out to the power level you want to use

On 5/12/2014 8:59 AM, OH9VD wrote:

> I have set the K3/100 output power to 10W.
>
> When I start to send in JT65-mode the power rises slowly from 2W to 10W
> after few send/receive periods.
> After reaching the 10W the power stabilizes.
>
> Everything seems to work properly except the power instability, anyway I can
> have qso's with JT65 and JT9.
>
> The problem is not dependent of band I use (at least bands from 20m up).
>
> I wonder if there anything I can do for the little anoying problem?
>
> I have the newest firmware installed and  I use the newest version of
> WSJT-X.
>
> 73 de OH9VD, Jarmo

GB & 73
K5OAIS
am Morgan

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 and JT65 (JT9) power instability problem

Doug Ellmore Sr.
I set my Mic gain to 30-32 to get in the right range.  I use an external
Signal Link which is set at 9'oclock for input and output.

73, NA1DX
Doug Ellmore
[hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 and JT65 (JT9) power instability problem

Rick WA6NHC
Hi Doug,

It's better to  use the line in/out on the back of the K3 than the mic.
Also you will want to use Data A mode.

Once you have made that connection, what I use is Lin Out set at 1 and
the SLUSB set at noon (delay at zero).

Then adjust your audio DRIVERS (IN and OUT) in the software to max.
After that is done, adjust the Lin In (mic control in Data mode) to get
four full ALC LEDs showing with the fifth flickering) with transmit.
Then leave it alone.

Adjust your power output AFTER going through all that.

As has been stated numerous times, the K3 is not like any other radio in
this regard (and many others).

73,
Rick WA6NHC

On 5/13/2014 9:01 AM, Doug Ellmore wrote:

> I set my Mic gain to 30-32 to get in the right range.  I use an external
> Signal Link which is set at 9'oclock for input and output.
>
> 73, NA1DX
> Doug Ellmore
> [hidden email]

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 and JT65 (JT9) power instability problem

Doug,

It may be as simple as increasing the audio drive.
The K3 power control works differently than other transceivers, and the
audio must be sufficient for the K3 to properly set the power output
level.  Do not attempt to adjust the audio in an effort to control power
- use the power knob to set your desired power level.

You must drive the audio enough to produce 4 bars with the 5th
flickering on the ALC meter.
That *is* the no-ALC point - the 1st 4 bars of that meter are there only
to indicate the audio level.
You can set the audio level without transmitting by turning on TX TEST.

On 5/13/2014 12:01 PM, Doug Ellmore wrote:
> I set my Mic gain to 30-32 to get in the right range.  I use an external
> Signal Link which is set at 9'oclock for input and output.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 and JT65 (JT9) power instability problem

k6dgw
I made a little mark at the 4th bar position on the display with a
dry-erase black marker.  I have a really hard time counting them in
real-time as I'm adjusting levels.  And yes, I have a math degree, no
need for snarky "counting" comments. :-))

This subject of K2/K3/KX3 power control comes up often.  Maybe some
editing in the Users' Manuals to make it very obvious and clear that
"You really need to read and understand this part" would help?

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
- www.cqp.org