K3 audio

Ralph Parker
>...the K3's audio was hissy and sharp and not nice and smooth.
>We could hear it using the built-in speaker as well as on a Heil Pro Set

I think so too.
The high hiss level is the thing I like least about my K3 :-(

VE7XF
(retired after 45 years of sound recording)

Re: K3 audio

Don Wilhelm-4
If I may throw my two pennies into the discussion -
I use medium quality amplified speakers on my K3, and with the speaker
amplifier turned up and the K3 connected to a dummy load, I hear no
evidence of any "hissy" receiver noise - very quiet.
My conclusion from that is the "hissy" sound is not from the K3 internal
noise.
BTW, the internal speaker is difficult for me to listen to, but that is
the fault of the speaker and not the K3 audio.

When I connect an antenna, I hear sounds that are directly related to
the DSP bandwidth I have dialed in (only the 2.7 kHz filter in this K3),
and also related to the AGC parameters that I have selected..  Sometimes
the band noise is objectionable, but what I am saying is that is band
noise and not K3 noise.

There was a change to the AGC in firmware MCU release 3.03 that in
crowded band conditions could be interpreted as "hiss" or "muddiness",
and I would encourage those who are hearing "hissy audio" to try an
upgrade to the latest beta level firmware.

Ralph Parker wrote:

>> ...the K3's audio was hissy and sharp and not nice and smooth.
>> We could hear it using the built-in speaker as well as on a Heil Pro Set
>>

> I think so too.
> The high hiss level is the thing I like least about my K3 :-(
>
> VE7XF
> (retired after 45 years of sound recording)

Re: K3 audio

John N1JM
I guess I would have to listen to another K3, but the audio is no better than my TS480 with internal speaker.

Don Wilhelm-4 wrote

Ralph Parker wrote:
>> ...the K3's audio was hissy and sharp and not nice and smooth.
>> We could hear it using the built-in speaker as well as on a Heil Pro Set
>>

> I think so too.
> The high hiss level is the thing I like least about my K3 :-(
>
> VE7XF
> (retired after 45 years of sound recording)

Re: K3 audio

Evert Bakker (PA2KW)
Hi Don,

It is definitely not band-noise what I'm talking about.
You need a decent signal level (audio strength) to hear it.
For me, I'm quite sure it has to do with the digitalization. That sound is
far from natural and is ADDITIONAL to the normal audio signal. That addition
sounds sharp, metallic, like these "extreme low cost" jingle bell" sounds in
all kind of gifts (sorry for the comparison between these two). But it is
"next" to the normal signal and many db's down. That's why I called it the
silver line around the cloud in the beginning.
The normal signal sounds OK, not as "comfortable" like my TR7 audio but very
good for normal use as we do (at least for me). I just would like to get rid
of this higher freq component which doesn't like to be influenced by
whatever control except the power and volume button :-) .

I've got 2 K3's and they both give me the same result.
I played with all kind of controls (RX-EQ, AGC-SLP/THR, AGC-S/F, AGC ON/OFF)
and there is no difference whatsoever!

I apologize for being persistent in this.

73's, Evert PA2KW

Re: K3 audio

Jack Smith-6
There is a 3.9 KHz digitization artifact about 78 dB down from normal
audio level. Is this what you hear?

It's quite visible in a spectrum analyzer view of the K3's audio output.

http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/elecraft_k3_receive_audio.htm - about
half way down the page under Headphone Port SSB Mode with 500 Hz Tone -
Harmonics

Jack K8ZOA

Evert Bakker (PA2KW) wrote:

> Hi Don,
>
> It is definitely not band-noise what I'm talking about.
> You need a decent signal level (audio strength) to hear it.
> For me, I'm quite sure it has to do with the digitalization. That sound is
> far from natural and is ADDITIONAL to the normal audio signal. That addition
> sounds sharp, metallic, like these "extreme low cost" jingle bell" sounds in
> all kind of gifts (sorry for the comparison between these two). But it is
> "next" to the normal signal and many db's down. That's why I called it the
> silver line around the cloud in the beginning.
> The normal signal sounds OK, not as "comfortable" like my TR7 audio but very
> good for normal use as we do (at least for me). I just would like to get rid
> of this higher freq component which doesn't like to be influenced by
> whatever control except the power and volume button :-) .
>
> I've got 2 K3's and they both give me the same result.
> I played with all kind of controls (RX-EQ, AGC-SLP/THR, AGC-S/F, AGC ON/OFF)
> and there is no difference whatsoever!
>
> I apologize for being persistent in this.
>

> 73's, Evert PA2KW

Re: K3 audio

Evert.

I have no intention to dispute your observations.  It is just that mine
are different.  You are justified in being persistent to find out if
there is a problem with some K3s or if it is a localized problem, or
exactly what, but as far as I can tell, it is not apparent on my K3.

In my observations, I have concluded that the AGC has a lot to do with
how the K3 sounds.
I particularly liked the way the K2 AGC response sounded, so I have used
Jack Smith's charts at
http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/elecraft_k3_agc_and_s-meter.htm to
modify my AGC parameters to have a response more like the K2 (strong
signals sound stronger, weaker signals weaker).  Those settings made a
great difference to me, and made the audio much smoother.

Secondly, the AGC improvements with MCU 3.03 (and higher) made an
additional difference.

Is it possible that the AGC settings make a difference in the perception
of "hissing audio" that we have been discussing?  I don't know the
answer, but provide it as "food for thought".

Evert Bakker (PA2KW) wrote:

> Hi Don,
>
> It is definitely not band-noise what I'm talking about.
> You need a decent signal level (audio strength) to hear it.
> For me, I'm quite sure it has to do with the digitalization. That sound is
> far from natural and is ADDITIONAL to the normal audio signal. That addition
> sounds sharp, metallic, like these "extreme low cost" jingle bell" sounds in
> all kind of gifts (sorry for the comparison between these two). But it is
> "next" to the normal signal and many db's down. That's why I called it the
> silver line around the cloud in the beginning.
> The normal signal sounds OK, not as "comfortable" like my TR7 audio but very
> good for normal use as we do (at least for me). I just would like to get rid
> of this higher freq component which doesn't like to be influenced by
> whatever control except the power and volume button :-) .
>
> I've got 2 K3's and they both give me the same result.
> I played with all kind of controls (RX-EQ, AGC-SLP/THR, AGC-S/F, AGC ON/OFF)
> and there is no difference whatsoever!
>
> I apologize for being persistent in this.
>

> 73's, Evert PA2KW

Re: K3 audio

Jack,

That may be the reason I do not hear any problem.  My hearing aids do
not have much response above 3.5 kHz.  If I do not use the aids, my
hearing drops off significantly above 1800 Hz although my low end
hearing is about normal for the general population.  Having 'built-in'
low pass filters is OK at times, but makes it difficult to understand
normal speech (particularly female and children's voices).

I bow to those with better high end hearing than mine, but to me the K3
has no audio problems.  Therefore I will make no further comments on
this subject.

Jack Smith wrote:

> There is a 3.9 KHz digitization artifact about 78 dB down from normal
> audio level. Is this what you hear?
>
> It's quite visible in a spectrum analyzer view of the K3's audio output.
>
> http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/elecraft_k3_receive_audio.htm -
> about half way down the page under Headphone Port SSB Mode with 500 Hz
> Tone - Harmonics
>
> Jack K8ZOA

Re: K3 audio

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

As I recall some of the "sharpness" in the audio can be
attributed to the impedance of the headphones used.  Low
impedance transducers (particularly 8 and 16 Ohms) require
the headset amplifier to run harder which brings up not only
the broadband noise but results in higher levels of distortion.

Use of high sensitivity, high impedance transducers with
AF Gain = L should result in considerably lower levels
of high frequency noise.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

Re: K3 audio

Bill W4ZV

Jack Smith-6 wrote

Evert Bakker (PA2KW) wrote:

> For me, I'm quite sure it has to do with the digitalization. That sound is
> far from natural and is ADDITIONAL to the normal audio signal. That addition
> sounds sharp, metallic, like these "extreme low cost" jingle bell" sounds in
> all kind of gifts (sorry for the comparison between these two). But it is
> "next" to the normal signal and many db's down.

K8ZOA replied:

There is a 3.9 KHz digitization artifact about 78 dB down from normal
audio level. Is this what you hear?
I suspect Jack has identified Evert's problem.  The 3.9 kHz artifact should sound exactly as Evert describes.  To check, Evert could try setting RX EQ 8 (3.2 kHz) to -16.  If this reduces the sound he's hearing, it should prove that the 3.9 kHz artifact is causing his problem.

You should not have any reduction in intelligibility for SSB contests by setting RX EQ 8 as above.  For CW, I normally set RX EQ 1-2 and 5-8 at -16 dB, since I normally use a 300-440 Hz pitch.

73,  Bill  W4ZV

Re: K3 audio

Ignacy
This reminds me somethnig. The audio in my K3 sounded much better with noise-canceling phones than with regular headphones. The first one had high amplification and probably high impedance. So the problem may be due to inadequate AF amplifier in K3.

I the AF mod helping much?

Ignacy

Joe Subich, W4TV-4 wrote
As I recall some of the "sharpness" in the audio can be
attributed to the impedance of the headphones used.  Low
impedance transducers (particularly 8 and 16 Ohms) require
the headset amplifier to run harder which brings up not only
the broadband noise but results in higher levels of distortion.

Use of high sensitivity, high impedance transducers with
AF Gain = L should result in considerably lower levels
of high frequency noise.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

Re: K3 audio

Barry N1EU
Bill W4ZV wrote
Jack Smith-6 wrote
Evert Bakker (PA2KW) wrote:

> For me, I'm quite sure it has to do with the digitalization. That sound is
> far from natural and is ADDITIONAL to the normal audio signal. That addition
> sounds sharp, metallic, like these "extreme low cost" jingle bell" sounds in
> all kind of gifts (sorry for the comparison between these two). But it is
> "next" to the normal signal and many db's down.

K8ZOA replied:

There is a 3.9 KHz digitization artifact about 78 dB down from normal
audio level. Is this what you hear?
I suspect Jack has identified Evert's problem.  The 3.9 kHz artifact should sound exactly as Evert describes.
Maybe, maybe not.  Evert, can you please make a WAV recording while the sharp metallic audio is present?  Please email me a copy of the WAV file.

73,
Barry N1EU

Re: K3 audio

Evert Bakker (PA2KW)
Bill,

Thanks for support.
Unfortunately I do have to disappoint you about the suggestions.
I tried, but absolutely no effect when changing the RX-EQ setting.
Even when 2.4 and 1.6 were set at -16, it did not have any effect.
Except when the original audio signal became weaker due to the lowered
cut-off of the high side of the pass-band, the "hiss" became less as well.
This is already what I stated before, the level of hiss only seems to be
influenced by the audio level.

May be I introduced a misunderstanding when using the word hiss. As it seems
almost impossible for me to explain what I hear, it gave me the idea that
the word "hiss" may be not the right word for the phenomena I wont to share
we you. But I'm not able to make it clearer then I tried so far.

I can also say that it is not a pure additional sidetone but it's a
combination of several components.

73's, Evert PA2KW

> For me, I'm quite sure it has to do with the digitalization. That sound is
> far from natural and is ADDITIONAL to the normal audio signal. That
addition
> sounds sharp, metallic, like these "extreme low cost" jingle bell" sounds
in
> all kind of gifts (sorry for the comparison between these two). But it is
> "next" to the normal signal and many db's down.

K8ZOA replied:

There is a 3.9 KHz digitization artifact about 78 dB down from normal
audio level. Is this what you hear?

I suspect Jack has identified Evert's problem.  The 3.9 kHz artifact should
sound exactly as Evert describes.  To check, Evert could try setting RX EQ 8
(3.2 kHz) to -16.  If this reduces the sound he's hearing, it should prove
that the 3.9 kHz artifact is causing his problem.

You should not have any reduction in intelligibility for SSB contests by
setting RX EQ 8 as above.  For CW, I normally set RX EQ 1-2 and 5-8 at -16
dB, since I normally use a 300-440 Hz pitch.

73,  Bill  W4ZV

Re: K3 audio

Evert Bakker (PA2KW)
Hello Barry,

I will try. I saw some recording programs lately on the reflector.
I'll try to find them and install it.
W'll keep in touch.

73's, evert PA2KW

> For me, I'm quite sure it has to do with the digitalization. That sound is
> far from natural and is ADDITIONAL to the normal audio signal. That
addition
> sounds sharp, metallic, like these "extreme low cost" jingle bell" sounds
in
> all kind of gifts (sorry for the comparison between these two). But it is
> "next" to the normal signal and many db's down.

K8ZOA replied:

There is a 3.9 KHz digitization artifact about 78 dB down from normal
audio level. Is this what you hear?

I suspect Jack has identified Evert's problem.  The 3.9 kHz artifact should
sound exactly as Evert describes.

Maybe, maybe not.  Evert, can you please make a WAV recording while the
sharp metallic audio is present?  Please email me a copy of the WAV file.

73,
Barry N1EU

Re: K3 audio

Paul Fletcher
Hi Evert,

You are not alone - my K3 and another I tried experience the same symptoms. I can't work out the cause but inserting a low pass filter in the headphone output fixes the problem. I found the same as you in that increasing the AF gain makes things worse but I don't know if this is amplifier distortion or a digital artifact that is only audible when you turn the AF gain up. I know the measured performance looks acceptable but this doesn't help.

I periodically return to this issue to try and get to the bottom of it but so far no luck.

73 Paul M1PAF

Evert Bakker (PA2KW) wrote
It is definitely not band-noise what I'm talking about.

I've got 2 K3's and they both give me the same result.
I played with all kind of controls (RX-EQ, AGC-SLP/THR, AGC-S/F, AGC ON/OFF)
and there is no difference whatsoever!

Re: K3 audio

DaveL  G3TJP
Thanks, Wayne.  I wanted to ask about the hissy and brittle audio on my own
K3 a while back,
but at the time, certain forces on the reflector seemed intent on putting
down such audacious
critique (NOT, I emphasise, anyone from Elecraft "central").

Instead, I chose to take the coward's option and just wait and tinker.  I
have attached some pieces
of Dampamat, a material favoured by the car boom-box aficionados, to the
underside of the K3's
top cover.  This improved the internal speaker's sound a little.  Next, my
outboard recycled small
car pod speakers' cabinets were lined with Dampamat and their bass response
was vastly improved.

By way of a tip for others, I bought the Dampamat originally because the two
linear PSUs used to
power my K2 and K3 tended to hum appreciably on full load.  Steel cabinets
in a strong 50Hz
magnetic field around big transformers make excellent transducers.
Judicious application of
Dampamat to internal surfaces and on two out of four sides of the
transformer laminations has
worked wonders.  If only they'd had ali cabinets instead HI!

I intend to create an infinite baffle (fancy name for a box without holes)
around the K3's internal
speaker and cover it with Dampamat.  It's just a matter of finding a
suitable potting box cover,
or making one from materials to hand.  That should improve the internal
speaker's bass response
but will also reduce its efficiency a little.

I have many sets of headphones, so will address headphone audio in time, but
I suspect a change
of coupling capacitors will be on the cards.

73   DaveL  G3TJP

>wayne burdick
>Mon, 06 Apr 2009 10:25:29 -0700
>Maarten,
>
>If you send me recordings of your K3 audio (and if possible, recordings
>of your other rig's audio for comparison), Lyle and I will listen to
>them and see if we think there's anything wrong (excessive hiss,
>harshness, etc.). This is certainly not the case with my K3 or any of
>those I've tested in my lab.
>
>If it turns out that nothing is broken, but that you perceive another
>rig to be better in some way, then we will try to improve the K3 to
>your satisfaction. Comparative recordings are the first step.
>
>73,
>Wayne
>N6KR

---

http://www.elecraft.com

Re: K3 audio

Darwin, Keith
I've stayed out of this thread and have only skimmed it but I'll weigh
in a bit now.

I have very good hearing.  I listen to my K3 using high fidelity
headphones only - I never use the speaker.  I operate CW only.

My rig sounds very good.  I do have the Radio Shack level control
in-line with my Sony headphones (which are very sensitive) and if I run
the volume all the way up on the in-line level control, I get hiss from
the rig, but it has nothing to do with the K3.  Every device I listen to
with my Sony phones & the level control wide open (mixing boards, MP3
players, computers, stereo systems) produces hiss, and they all require
AF gain be kept very low.  Basically, since the phones are so sensitive,
I'm listening to the inherent noise floor.

The solution is simple.  Throttle back the in-line volume control and
the hiss goes away.  Turn up the AF gain (to a normal level) and you get
plenty of signal.

Great sound, no hiss - That's my K3.

- Keith N1AS -
- K3 711 -

My hearing aids do not have much response above 3.5 kHz.  If I do not
use the aids, my hearing drops off significantly above 1800 Hz although
my low end hearing is about normal for the general population.

I bow to those with better high end hearing than mine, but to me the K3
has no audio problems.  Therefore I will make no further comments on
this subject.

Re: K3 audio

KENT TRIMBLE
Folks . . .

The only way to determine whether the so-called hiss or other
aberrations are endemic to the K3 is to limit the discussion to one
common denominator, that being the stock K3 speaker which EVERYONE has,
and not the plethora of speakers and headphones everyone tries to have.

The K3 speaker may have its own limitations, but at least the
conversation, subjective as it already is, wouldn't labor under a bunch
of variables.

73,

K9ZTV