K3 external speakers

Ken Kopp-3
The following may well be obvious to most, but I know of
at least three K3 owners who've been "caught" by plugging
mono plugs into the (stereo) speaker jack.

There is a "gotcha" involved in the use of external speakers
with the K3.  It's addressed indirectly on page 20 of the D2
version of the manual in the 2nd paragraph under PHONES
when it reads "... if you use a stereo plug at the external
speaker jack .... but is easily glossed over by the reader.

Many / most monaural external speakers have a MONAURAL
plug on their cords.  DON'T plug one of these (monaural) plugs
into the speaker jack.  It's configured for stereo and the sleeve
of the mono plug will short the ring portion of the stereo jack
and thereby short one channel of audio.  I ... along with several
others ... have experienced a failure of the audio amplifier IC on
the front panel board due to one channel being shorted by the
sleeve of a monaural plug.  It seems to take many hours of
operation under this condition to cause the IC to fail ... over a
year in mine and another's case.  The IC is -NOT- an easy change!

Just remember that one audio channel is on the tip and the other
is on the ring of the plug and connect speakers in this manner
using -only- a stereo plug.  My particular "trap" was forgetting that
using a  stereo "Y" merely moved the "trap" six inches away from
the jack. (;-)

As others have pointed out, speakers from the two-radio field are
good choices, and the CB isle at truck stops usually sell nice
speakers.  Mine are Barjan 320-701's.  Radio Scrap 21-549B's
are OK, too.

73! Ken Kopp - K0PP
     [hidden email]
     http://tinyurl.com/7lm3m5

Re: K3 external speakers

w0mu
I guess I will have to check my speakers.  This is a warning that should be
in bold in the manual.

CC Packet Cluster W0MU-1
W0MU.NET or  67.40.148.194

never get over." Ben Franklin

Re: K3 external speakers

JayR
I have also had a similar need for external speakers.
The recommendation from an "unnamed source (heh heh) " on the left coast
was the following

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7314523&type=product&id=111884
3685964

they are not very expensive , to the delete of most of us
and seem to work quite well

Jay

Re: K3 external speakers

Ken Wagner K3IU
There is a mod on the website to fix this problem. Check out the K3
Enhancements and Application Notes page and look for K3 AF OutPut Mod
Kit. A simple installation of 2 resistors.
73, Ken K3IU

W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:

> I guess I will have to check my speakers.  This is a warning that should be
> in bold in the manual.
>

> CC Packet Cluster W0MU-1
> W0MU.NET or  67.40.148.194
>
> "A slip of the foot you may soon recover, but a slip of the tongue you may
> never get over." Ben Franklin

Re: K3 external speakers

JayR
I guess to many times hitting the "delete" key...should have been "delight"

Re: K3 external speakers

Ken Kopp-3
The AF Output mod had been made to (at least) two of  the
K3's that suffered the audio output IC failure, mine included.

Perhaps the mod only "helps" and that's why the problem took
months to come to failure.  My board is slightly scorched, and
the IC "burned up" on another board.

The audio IC is robust, so I'm told, but can only stand so much
for so long.  BTW, headphone audio still works after the output
IC's failure.

Perhaps I'm not too smart, in that I had / have two speakers, so
I chose "two speakers" from the menu. (;-).  Duh!

73! Ken  Kopp - K0PP
      [hidden email]

Re: K3 external speakers

Ralph Tyrrell

I have had these Best Buy speaker since Dec 1, small and sound great.
Am very pleased with them
73, Ty, K3 696