K3 mic cmp settings with kenwood mc-43s mic

K3 mic cmp settings with kenwood mc-43s mic

way235
I got distortion complaints of my SSB audio.
I am using a Kenwood MC-43s and had the settings at MIC 13 and CMP 30 when I got the complaints.
While talking on the air I changed to MIC 11 and CMP 3 and was told it sounds good now.
I would like to know what setting others are using but only with the MC-43s mic.
I am also using a signalink USB plugged into the rear line input but I am not sure if that makes any difference.
Thanks Wayne

Re: K3 mic cmp settings with kenwood mc-43s mic

Jim Brown-10
On Thu,10/1/2015 9:51 PM, way235 wrote:
> I am using a Kenwood MC-43s and had the settings at MIC 13 and CMP 30 when I got the complaints.
> While talking on the air I changed to MIC 11 and CMP 3 and was told it sounds good now.

You're looking at the wrong indicators. Don't look at the numerical
values of MIC and CMP, look at the indications of COMP on the meters as
you talk. Your results suggest that the mic you're using is pretty hot,
so you want to set MIC GAIN to Low in the Menu, then follow instructions
in the Manual for setting Mic Gain and COMP.

When setting COMP, watch COMP on the meter, and adjust the CMP pot so
that you see no more than 10 dB COMP peaks on the meter.

73, Jim K9YC

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 mic cmp settings with kenwood mc-43s mic

way235
Jim
I set MIC GAIN to Low in the Menu, then I followed the  instructions
in the Manual for setting Mic Gain and COMP.  I was just giving the number to indicate my settings I am using.  I can set the MIC by the instructions but if I set the CMP by the instructions I have distortion.
I know a lot of people use the Kenwood MC-43S but maybe it is not the best choice.  By talking on the air I had to set CMP to 3 to have good audio. 3 does not even give me an indication on the CMP meter scale.

Re: K3 mic cmp settings with kenwood mc-43s mic

Bob McGraw - K4TAX
First from your description, you may have RF getting into the transmit
audio.  This will sound like distortion and will get worse as the CMP
value is increased.

I use a Heil PR 781 mike which is a dynamic mike and has much lower
output level than the Kenwood MC-43.    I run with mike gain such that I
see 4 to 5 bars of ALC, no more, and 2 to 4 bars on the CMP scale.
This has the CMP value at 12 to 15.

With the Kenwood mike, the MIC SEL should be set to FP.L.  Then adjust
the MIC gain value such that you get 4 to 5 bars of ALC indication.
Then set the COMP value such that you get 2 to 4 bars of CMP.  In all
cases, the CMP indication should not be greater than 10 on the scale.

By pressing an holding the MODE switch to get to the TEST mode, and then
setting the MON value to about 30, while using headphones you can
activate transmit mode and listen to your audio with compressing, EQ and
ALC characteristics.  If it sounds good in TEST mode it will most likely
sound good over the air unless one is getting RF back into the audio.

73
Bob, K4TAX