K3, need help in UK

Robert Allbright-2
Hi K3 owners
On behalf of Mike M0FCG
I'm enquiring if there is a K3 owner living near
Barnsley who could check over Mike's K3?
Apparently, he has reset it and needs to do a power
calibration and update but doesn't have a dummy load or power meter.
I'm 125 miles away so a bit far!

Thankyou
Rob G3RCE

K2 #5219
K3 #2855

Re: K3, need help in UK

AD6XY
Sorry I can't help either, it is 200 miles for me, but surely someone can.

However, I thought it was a requirement for all amateurs in the UK to know their power and be able to demonstrate it to an inspector.  It is common sense to also have a dummy load.

I am surprised someone with a K3 would not have such accessories already. There is a radio shop in Barnsley where they can be acquired.

Mike

Robert Allbright-2 wrote
Hi K3 owners
On behalf of Mike M0FCG
I'm enquiring if there is a K3 owner living near
Barnsley who could check over Mike's K3?
Apparently, he has reset it and needs to do a power
calibration and update but doesn't have a dummy load or power meter.
I'm 125 miles away so a bit far!

Thankyou
Rob G3RCE

K2 #5219
K3 #2855

Re: K3, need help in UK

David Pratt
I'm about 25 miles away, Rob, so could help.  Ask him to get in touch
with me.

73 de David G4DMP

In a recent message, Rob G3RCE wrote ...

>Hi K3 owners
>On behalf of Mike M0FCG
>I'm enquiring if there is a K3 owner living near
>Barnsley who could check over Mike's K3?
>Apparently, he has reset it and needs to do a power
>calibration and update but doesn't have a dummy load or power meter.
>I'm 125 miles away so a bit far!
>
>Thankyou
>Rob G3RCE
>
>K2 #5219
>K3 #2855
>Post: mailto:[hidden email]

David G4DMP
Leeds, England, UK
------

K3 and PR6 question

Andy GD0TEP
Hello to the group.

I must be missing something in the manual...

If I use the K3 (and 2nd receiver) with the radio TX on the main, but RX on
the sub receiver that is connected to the antenna via the BNC RX antenna
(with the SUB indicated on the display) is the PR6 pre-amp in line with the
sub receiver or not?

73 Andy
http://www.gd0tep.com

Re: K3 and PR6 question

Bud Semon N7CW
Hi Andy,

There was a fairly long discussion between Wayne, W0MU and myself on this
subject, mostly on the reflector.  The answer was no - you can't use the PR6
(as installed on the radio) inline on the 2nd receiver to monitor 6M while
operating on other bands.

73, Bud  N7CW

Re: K3 and PR6 question

Andy GD0TEP
OK Bud, that answers that question then...  thanks.

73 Andy
http://www.gd0tep.com

Re: K3 and PR6 question

Greg - AB7R
I suppose if  you REALLY wanted to do this you could use a second PR6 and run your
RX ant to the PR6 input and the output connected to the AUX RF connector if its
installed and KRX3 set to BNC.  Then usinging a HOLD of the RX ANT button select
the AUX position.

-------------------------
73,
Greg - AB7R
Whidbey Island WA
NA-065

On Thu Apr  2  7:39 , "Andy GD0TEP"  sent:

>OK Bud, that answers that question then...  thanks.
>
>73 Andy
>http://www.gd0tep.com

Behalf Of Andy GD0TEP

>Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2009 5:57 AM
>To: [hidden email]
>Subject: [Elecraft] K3 and PR6 question
>
>Hello to the group.
>
>I must be missing something in the manual...
>
>If I use the K3 (and 2nd receiver) with the radio TX on the main, but RX on
>the sub receiver that is connected to the antenna via the BNC RX antenna
>(with the SUB indicated on the display) is the PR6 pre-amp in line with the
>sub receiver or not?
>
>73 Andy
>http://www.gd0tep.com

>Post: [hidden email]','','','')">[hidden email]

>Post: [hidden email]','','','')">[hidden email]

Re: K3 and PR6 question

Andy GD0TEP
Greg, what I was trying to do was use the K3 like my 756pro does, i.e. TX on
the main socket out, but receive on the RX antenna, all the time maintaining
the advantage of the PR6.

73 Andy
http://www.gd0tep.com

I suppose if  you REALLY wanted to do this you could use a second PR6 and
run your

RX ant to the PR6 input and the output connected to the AUX RF connector if
its

installed and KRX3 set to BNC.  Then usinging a HOLD of the RX ANT button
select

the AUX position.

-------------------------

73,

Greg - AB7R

Whidbey Island WA

NA-065

On Thu Apr  2  7:39 , "Andy GD0TEP"  sent:

>OK Bud, that answers that question then...  thanks.

>73 Andy

>http://www.gd0tep.com

net] On

Behalf Of Andy GD0TEP

>Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2009 5:57 AM

>To: [hidden email]

>Subject: [Elecraft] K3 and PR6 question

>Hello to the group.

>I must be missing something in the manual...

>If I use the K3 (and 2nd receiver) with the radio TX on the main, but RX on

>the sub receiver that is connected to the antenna via the BNC RX antenna

>(with the SUB indicated on the display) is the PR6 pre-amp in line with the

>sub receiver or not?

>73 Andy

>http://www.gd0tep.com

>Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm

>Post: [hidden email]','','','')">[hidden email]

>Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm

>Post: [hidden email]','','','')">[hidden email]

Re: K3 and PR6 question

Greg - AB7R
Yes, that I think you can do.  I don't have a PR6 to test it with though but if you are
set up like this you should accomplish what you want...

1.  Don't conntect the PR6 directly to the KXV3.  Use very short jumpers (6" is fine).
2.  Connect your RX antenna to the PR6 input that would normally connect to the KXV3 RX
OUT.  Have the PR6 set per the instructions otherwise so that its turned on via the
DIG0 output of the ACCY connector for 6M.
3.  Set the SUB antenna to MAIN.
4.  Tap the RX ANT button so that the main (and sub since it's sharing) RX is using the
RX antenna which is now going through the PR6 to the KXV3 RX IN.

When you transmit you are using ANT1 or ANT2 as selected.  But when  you are receiving
you are using the RX antenna through the PR6.

However with this setup you will notice a 3dB drop because of the sub and main sharing
the KXV3 RX antenna.  If you have the PR6 output connected to the AUX RF input you will
not have the 3dB drop but you will only have the RX ANT active on the sub receiver and
it will need to be set to AUX vice MAIN.  If you want the same RX antenna through the
PR6 on both receivers without the drop you can connect the RX antenna as I said to the
PR6 input and use a T adapter on the output of the PR6 to the Aux RF input and the KXV3
RX IN connection.

-------------------------
73,
Greg - AB7R
Whidbey Island WA
NA-065

On Thu Apr  2  7:57 , 'Andy GD0TEP' <[hidden email]> sent:

>Greg, what I was trying to do was use the K3 like my 756pro does, i.e. TX on
>the main socket out, but receive on the RX antenna, all the time maintaining
>the advantage of the PR6.
>
>73 Andy
>http://www.gd0tep.com

OK Greg, I'll be trying this tonight when I'm at the shack.

73 Andy
http://www.gd0tep.com

.

>net] On

>Behalf Of Andy GD0TEP

>>Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2009 5:57 AM

>>To: [hidden email]

>>Subject: [Elecraft] K3 and PR6 question

>>Hello to the group.

>>I must be missing something in the manual...

>>If I use the K3 (and 2nd receiver) with the radio TX on the main, but RX
on

>>the sub receiver that is connected to the antenna via the BNC RX antenna

>>(with the SUB indicated on the display) is the PR6 pre-amp in line with
the

>>sub receiver or not?

>>73 Andy

>>http://www.gd0tep.com

>>Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm

>>Post: [hidden email]','','','')">[hidden email]

>>This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net

>>Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

>>Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm

>>Post: [hidden email]','','','')">[hidden email]

>>This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net

>>Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

>Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm

>Post: [hidden email]','','','')">[hidden email]

Re: K3 and PR6 question

wayne burdick
But you can use the PR6 in-line between a 6-m receiving antenna and the
sub's AUX RF input if you switch it in/out with an external signal.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Apr 2, 2009, at 6:56 AM, Bud Semon N7CW wrote:

> Hi Andy,
>
> There was a fairly long discussion between Wayne, W0MU and myself on
> this
> subject, mostly on the reflector.  The answer was no - you can't use
> the PR6
> (as installed on the radio) inline on the 2nd receiver to monitor 6M
> while
> operating on other bands.
>
> 73, Bud  N7CW

---

http://www.elecraft.com

K3 and PR6 question

Ken Kopp-3
I use a 1/4-wave 6M GP connected to (only) the 2nd receiver's
antenna input via the added BNC antenna connector.  This lets
me listen for activity and if the band opens I can then switch the
radio to the "main" 6M antenna that's connected to the ANT 2
connector.  The PR6 is then available via the RX ANT BNC's.

Monitoring 6M is the only reason I added the 2nd receiver.  If
the band opens you'll hear activity without a preamp on 2nd
receiver.

Somewhat related ... I have a local source of a few short cables
with male TMP connectors attached and some board-mount
female TMP jacks to make "extension" jumpers that allow easy
connection to the 2nd receiver's input without either raising the
receiver or (better) removing the KIO3 panel and boards to gain
access to the 2nd receiver's input jack.

To my knowledge, cable-end female TMP's aren't available, but
one can use "modified" female board-mount connectors on the
end of the jumper cable.  I cover the female end with heat-shrink
tubing.

73! Ken Kopp - K0PP
      [hidden email]

Re: K3 and PR6 question

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
I do not find the need to use the PR6 on the sub when using the AUX ANT
jack. MDS is typically in the -139 to -140 range via that path.

In general, when running the sub RX via its dedicated AUX ANT connector,
it has better 6M sensitivity than the main RX antenna path. The AUX ANT
path does not have to go through the main T/R switching network or the
LPFs, as it does on the main board when sharing the path with the main
RX. This eliminates any rx path loss from those items.

73, Eric   WA6HHQ
Elecraft

> On Thu Apr  2  7:57 , 'Andy GD0TEP' <[hidden email]> sent:
>

>> Greg, what I was trying to do was use the K3 like my 756pro does, i.e. TX on
>> the main socket out, but receive on the RX antenna, all the time maintaining
>> the advantage of the PR6.
>>
>> 73 Andy
>> http://www.gd0tep.com

Ah...
See how a simple question results in a better understanding of what's
actually going on under the lid of the radio..  :-)

It's difficult to tell just what's best when only going by what you can
hear... In essence then, I've no need to worry about using the PR6 when
listening on the 2nd receiver. Thanks Eric.

73 Andy
http://www.gd0tep.com

I do not find the need to use the PR6 on the sub when using the AUX ANT
jack. MDS is typically in the -139 to -140 range via that path.

In general, when running the sub RX via its dedicated AUX ANT connector, it
has better 6M sensitivity than the main RX antenna path. The AUX ANT path
does not have to go through the main T/R switching network or the LPFs, as
it does on the main board when sharing the path with the main RX. This
eliminates any rx path loss from those items.

73, Eric   WA6HHQ
Elecraft

> On Thu Apr  2  7:57 , 'Andy GD0TEP' <[hidden email]> sent:
>

>> Greg, what I was trying to do was use the K3 like my 756pro does,
>> i.e. TX on the main socket out, but receive on the RX antenna, all
>> the time maintaining the advantage of the PR6.
>>
>> 73 Andy
>> http://www.gd0tep.com

[[hidden email]','','','')">[hidden email].