K3 no RF on FT8

Peter Chamalian W1RM

My K3S occasionally does not put out any power when transmitting FT8.  The
problem was usually resolved by turning the rig off then back on.  Now it
doesn't want to put out RF when in that mode.  It does transmit just fine on
CW.

The normal level of mic (Level) setting is 11-12 but now I have to crank it
way up to 58 to get any power out.

Any thoughts on what's wrong and how to fix?

Pete Chamalian, W1RM

[hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 no RF on FT8

Julia Tuttle
Just spitballing what I'd check:

Have you checked all the computer-side settings? There's output attenuation
in the app, per-app output volume (on some operating systems), and master
output volume.

If it can be toggled or there are separate jacks, are you using headphones
or line-out? Have you tried the other?

If you've got an audio interface with a hardware output gain knob, have you
checked the settings on that?

Have you checked the cables and connections, and perhaps tried another
cable?

If you're using SSB instead of DATA mode, have you checked the COMP and TX
EQ settings? (DATA mode avoids this problem.)

Have you tried transmitting some other computer audio, like a plain sine
wave of good volume? This would isolate the app, output attentuation, or
per-app volume.

Have you tried transmitting some plain mic audio in the same mode? This
would isolate the app, computer, or interface.

73,

Julie

On Sun, Jun 20, 2021, 13:10 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My K3S occasionally does not put out any power when transmitting FT8.  The
> problem was usually resolved by turning the rig off then back on.  Now it
> doesn't want to put out RF when in that mode.  It does transmit just fine
> on
> CW.
>

> The normal level of mic (Level) setting is 11-12 but now I have to crank it
> way up to 58 to get any power out.
>

> Any thoughts on what's wrong and how to fix?
>

> Pete Chamalian, W1RM
>
> [hidden email]

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 no RF on FT8

Peter Chamalian W1RM
That was it, Mike.  Dang windows messed with the settings.  I've been
restoring this computer for 3 days now and I'm punchy with it.

Pete Chamalian, W1RM
[hidden email]