K3IOBUFFKT

KG7FYI
Purchased my K3 last October. It came with Buffer Gain Mod resister. I'm a little confused. Reading the Mod sheet it says that, "This change has been incorporated into all new K3's beginning in September 2009". Am I reading it wrong? Shouldn't that mod already be done?
Stan KG7FYI

Re: K3IOBUFFKT

Don Wilhelm-4
Stan,

I am not certain why you are confused.  That mod has been incorporated
into all K3s beginning in September 2009.  If you purchased your K3
after that, the mod is already included.

To Elecraft's benefit, upgrade mods like this one are provided at modest
cost for owners of K3s that were purchased prior to the inclusion of a
modification.  That way all older K3s can be kept up to date if the
owner desires to add the mods.

On 2/15/2014 1:04 AM, KG7FYI wrote:

> Purchased my K3 last October. It came with Buffer Gain Mod resister. I'm a
> little confused. Reading the Mod sheet it says that, "This change has been
> incorporated into all new K3's beginning in September 2009". Am I reading it
> wrong? Shouldn't that mod already be done?
>

> -----
> Stan KG7FYI

Re: K3IOBUFFKT

Josh Fiden
Since Stan purchased his K3 after 9/2009, it has the mod. His question
is why was the resistor included with a K3 kit that doesn't need it?

Receiving the resistor would imply that it's needed, hence the
confusion. Perhaps there's a logistical reason for including it.

73,
Josh W6XU

On 2/18/2014 2:55 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
> I am not certain why you are confused.  That mod has been incorporated
> into all K3s beginning in September 2009.  If you purchased your K3
> after that, the mod is already included.

Re: K3IOBUFFKT

Stan,

OK on that being a part of the P3 shipment.
Yes, Elecraft does that when mods related to an additional piece of gear
might be needed.  For instance, the K2 10/12 meter and VFO ALC mod kit
is shipped with every KPA100 kit that is ordered.  In this day and age,
most K2s that are adding the KPA100 already have that mod installed.  It
is apparently less expensive for Elecraft to add the mod kit than to
expend the time and effort of the CS and office staff to supply the mod
kit only when needed.

Elecraft has always supplied whatever mods and firmware are required if
you order an option (different than an upgrade or a mod kit). That is
most notable with the K2 where firmware does have a price tag.  If you
order the K60XV option, it requires firmware 2.04 which will be provided
at no additional cost should your firmware be of an earlier level.  In
the example that I quoted, the K2 firmware is not automatically shipped
unless the customer tells sales that his firmware needs to be updated to
accommodate the new option.