K4 observation

John Harper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1XRaNpgQDI

John AE5X
https://ae5x.blogspot.com

>Noticed that when the antenna are disconnected, and the K4 turned off, I hear a local TV station in the headphones… Never happened on the K3.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K4 observation

wayne burdick
Administrator
John,

If the K4 is *off*, then there's no active circuitry involved. However, the headphone plug-insertion detect circuit may involve an IC downstream that could include a schottky diode junction -- a potential way a very strong signal could be rectified right at the radio end of the cable. We're looking at that.

If the cable is not very well shielded, and the TV station is *very strong*, I can imagine modern physics just barely covering this situation. It would help if the headphone cable was about the length of an end-fed dipole at the station's frequency.

As for the K4 chassis itself: It's very well sealed (far better than the K3/K3S).

Wayne
N6KR

> On Jun 18, 2021, at 3:36 PM, John Harper <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1XRaNpgQDI
>
> John AE5X
> https://ae5x.blogspot.com
>
>> Noticed that when the antenna are disconnected, and the K4 turned off, I hear a local TV station in the headphones… Never happened on the K3.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K4 observation

Paul Van Dyke
John

Would you put that under "Worked All Molars?"

Paul KB9AVO

On Fri, Jun 18, 2021, 10:35 PM Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> John,
>
> If the K4 is *off*, then there's no active circuitry involved. However,
> the headphone plug-insertion detect circuit may involve an IC downstream
> that could include a schottky diode junction -- a potential way a very
> strong signal could be rectified right at the radio end of the cable. We're
> looking at that.
>
> If the cable is not very well shielded, and the TV station is *very
> strong*, I can imagine modern physics just barely covering this situation.
> It would help if the headphone cable was about the length of an end-fed
> dipole at the station's frequency.
>
> As for the K4 chassis itself: It's very well sealed (far better than the
> K3/K3S).
>
> Wayne
> N6KR
>

> > On Jun 18, 2021, at 3:36 PM, John Harper <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1XRaNpgQDI
> >
> > John AE5X
> > https://ae5x.blogspot.com
> >
> >> Noticed that when the antenna are disconnected, and the K4 turned off,
> I hear a local TV station in the headphones… Never happened on the K3.

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K4 observation

W2xj

Wayne

I seriously doubt this is an RF issue. TV is all digital and has no discrete audio carrier. TV RF interference would sound like white noise. This sounds more like an audio ground loop of some sort.

> On June 18, 2021 10:33 PM Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> John,
>
> If the K4 is *off*, then there's no active circuitry involved. However, the headphone plug-insertion detect circuit may involve an IC downstream that could include a schottky diode junction -- a potential way a very strong signal could be rectified right at the radio end of the cable. We're looking at that.
>
> If the cable is not very well shielded, and the TV station is *very strong*, I can imagine modern physics just barely covering this situation. It would help if the headphone cable was about the length of an end-fed dipole at the station's frequency.
>
> As for the K4 chassis itself: It's very well sealed (far better than the K3/K3S).
>
> Wayne
> N6KR
>

> > On Jun 18, 2021, at 3:36 PM, John Harper <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1XRaNpgQDI
> >
> > John AE5X
> > https://ae5x.blogspot.com
> >
> >> Noticed that when the antenna are disconnected, and the K4 turned off, I hear a local TV station in the headphones… Never happened on the K3.

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K4 observation

Elecraft mailing list
Actually, it could be a radio station. I haven’t listened long enough to ascertain…

Frankly, I don’t care! The bigger problem is the rfi when I transmit.

Tom W4KX

Sent from my iPad

> On Jun 18, 2021, at 11:10 PM, w2xj <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Wayne
>
> I seriously doubt this is an RF issue. TV is all digital and has no discrete audio carrier. TV RF interference would sound like white noise. This sounds more like an audio ground loop of some sort.
>

>> On June 18, 2021 10:33 PM Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> John,
>>
>> If the K4 is *off*, then there's no active circuitry involved. However, the headphone plug-insertion detect circuit may involve an IC downstream that could include a schottky diode junction -- a potential way a very strong signal could be rectified right at the radio end of the cable. We're looking at that.
>>
>> If the cable is not very well shielded, and the TV station is *very strong*, I can imagine modern physics just barely covering this situation. It would help if the headphone cable was about the length of an end-fed dipole at the station's frequency.
>>
>> As for the K4 chassis itself: It's very well sealed (far better than the K3/K3S).
>>
>> Wayne
>> N6KR

>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1XRaNpgQDI
>>>
>>> John AE5X
>>> https://ae5x.blogspot.com

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> Message delivered to [hidden email]

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K4 observation

wayne burdick
Administrator

> On Jun 19, 2021, at 3:17 AM, Tom Doligalski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Actually, it could be a radio station. I haven’t listened long enough to ascertain…
>
> Frankly, I don’t care! The bigger problem is the rfi when I transmit.

Which *will* be fixed.

Wayne

> Tom W4KX
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Jun 18, 2021, at 11:10 PM, w2xj <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Wayne
>>
>> I seriously doubt this is an RF issue. TV is all digital and has no discrete audio carrier. TV RF interference would sound like white noise. This sounds more like an audio ground loop of some sort.
>>

>>> On June 18, 2021 10:33 PM Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> John,
>>>
>>> If the K4 is *off*, then there's no active circuitry involved. However, the headphone plug-insertion detect circuit may involve an IC downstream that could include a schottky diode junction -- a potential way a very strong signal could be rectified right at the radio end of the cable. We're looking at that.
>>>
>>> If the cable is not very well shielded, and the TV station is *very strong*, I can imagine modern physics just barely covering this situation. It would help if the headphone cable was about the length of an end-fed dipole at the station's frequency.
>>>
>>> As for the K4 chassis itself: It's very well sealed (far better than the K3/K3S).
>>>
>>> Wayne
>>> N6KR

>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>>> Message delivered to [hidden email]
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K4 observation

wa6vab
Did You Trying Transmitting in CW mode with the Mic disconnected ?
WA6VAB  ray

> On Jun 19, 2021, at 3:17 AM, Tom Doligalski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Actually, it could be a radio station. I haven’t listened long enough to ascertain…
>
> Frankly, I don’t care! The bigger problem is the rfi when I transmit.

Which *will* be fixed.

Wayne

> Tom W4KX
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Jun 18, 2021, at 11:10 PM, w2xj <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Wayne
>>
>> I seriously doubt this is an RF issue. TV is all digital and has no discrete audio carrier. TV RF interference would sound like white noise. This sounds more like an audio ground loop of some sort.
>>

>>> On June 18, 2021 10:33 PM Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> John,
>>>
>>> If the K4 is *off*, then there's no active circuitry involved. However, the headphone plug-insertion detect circuit may involve an IC downstream that could include a schottky diode junction -- a potential way a very strong signal could be rectified right at the radio end of the cable. We're looking at that.
>>>
>>> If the cable is not very well shielded, and the TV station is *very strong*, I can imagine modern physics just barely covering this situation. It would help if the headphone cable was about the length of an end-fed dipole at the station's frequency.
>>>
>>> As for the K4 chassis itself: It's very well sealed (far better than the K3/K3S).
>>>
>>> Wayne
>>> N6KR

>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>>> Message delivered to [hidden email]
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K4 observation

wayne burdick
Administrator
I'm glad you beat me to this, Ray :)

Wayne

> On Jun 19, 2021, at 11:50 AM, Ray <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Did You Trying Transmitting in CW mode with the Mic disconnected ?
> WA6VAB  ray

No difference with or without the microphone: of course, I never had an issue on CW in the first place!

Tom W4KX