KAT-500 (was: K3-Twin with Remoterig)

Edward R Cole
Just another "old guy" rememberance:

Being 14 years-old and a fresh new Novice,  I soldered at PL-259 on
the end of the TV twinlead coming in from my 40m folded dipole and
plugged into the DX-35.  The hardy old 6146 loaded it just fine with
the pi-net output circuit.  A few years later I learned that was
wrong.  I worked a lot of 40m CW while it was wrong!

Later I made two 8-element 2m yagi's using conduit and #8 aluminum
ground wire, hooked it to twin lead and was given a Television 4:1
balun to use for matching the 20w.  My two No. 47 pilot lamp SWR
indicator indicated a pretty good match!

I had under $100 in that 2m AM station which included antennas,
35-foot tower, ARC-1, power supply, and WWII tank radio mic.  I had a
lot of local ham help.  My big DX was Flint, MI (35-miles away).

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45