KAT100 ESD protection

John Rader
What is the best way to protect a KAT100 from ESD while in a Pelican case?
Last year I had to replace the1N5711s, D1 & D2, after flying with my K2.
John K5XTX

Re: KAT100 ESD protection

W9DHI
Put a shorting plug into the antenna jacks to short them all to ground, that
will protect the diodes on the bridge.

Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI, Un-Retired
K2/100 SN 3075
http://www.milwaukeehdtv.org

> What is the best way to protect a KAT100 from ESD while in a Pelican case?
> Last year I had to replace the1N5711s, D1 & D2, after flying with my K2.
> John K5XTX

Re: KAT100 ESD protection

John Rader
Gregg,
Thanks for the input. I had a short jumper with bannana plugs that plugs
into the ground post and SO-239.
Merry Christmas,
John K5XTX

Re: KAT100 ESD protection

Marcus Busch [DL1EKC]
Hi All,

On 25 Dec 2004 at 14:40, John Rader wrote:

> Last year I had to replace the1N5711s, D1 & D2, after flying with my K2. John

This is really interesting. I'm just facing the same trouble. During last
WAG field operation I used my K2 with everything being fine. At the end of
the contest I switched off the RIG. When I came back two days later D1 and
D2 in my KAT100 had broken down (Vr = 1.5 V as measured with my DMM). The
coax line had been connected during the two days, but they were connected
via a remote antenna switch, which grounds all inputs when not in use.

There was no thunderstorm and I can hardly believe it was an ESD issue.
Are the diodes really that sensitive?

Is there a more robust replacement available? What about a protection
circuit?

VY 73 de Marcus, DL1EKC