KAT2 C55 nul adjustment

VE3WDM

I have completed the KAT2 tuner and adjusted C55 but could only get it down to between 010 - 009. I did notice that when I got a reading to 010 any further adjustment would result in a large jump. I would then have to take time and fine adjust C55 to 010 and maybe hit 009. I continued on with the rest of the tests and adjustments and the tuner seems to work fine. The only thing I did noticed was when checking out the SWR on all bands on some bands I got as high as 1:5. But I did read that all bands may not read 1:1 SWR. So my question is should I had been able to adjust C55 lower than between 010 and 009? Also is the SWR rise on some bands related to this or as it says in the manual that this my happen and is just fine?MikeVE3WDM

Re: KAT2 C55 nul adjustment

Don Wilhelm-4
Mike,

The 009 to 010 on the balance is OK.
Under what conditions do you read an SWR of 5:1?  Is that after a TUNE
has been completed?  Or is that reading the SWR on your antenna with the
ATU menu set to CAL S?

What that statement in the manual is trying to say is that an SWR of 1.2
or even 1.5 is OK.
The SWR indication does not show the ":1" part - hopefully you are not
misreading the display - the ":1" is superfluous, it is sufficient to
say that the SWR is 1.5 (for instance)

If it is after a TUNE, then you may have some problem with the L/C
board, or more likely your antenna has a very high or very low impedance
on the band in question.  The KAT2 range is large, but it it not
infinite.  For example, it will not match the end of a half wave dipole
which has a very high impedance.

On 4/11/2012 9:13 PM, Mike Weir wrote:

> I have completed the KAT2 tuner and adjusted C55 but could only get it down to between 010 - 009. I did notice that when I got a reading to 010 any further adjustment would result in a large jump. I would then have to take time and fine adjust C55 to 010 and maybe hit 009. I continued on with the rest of the tests and adjustments and the tuner seems to work fine. The only thing I did noticed was when checking out the SWR on all bands on some bands I got as high as 1:5. But I did read that all bands may not read 1:1 SWR. So my question is should I had been able to adjust C55 lower than between 010 and 009? Also is the SWR rise on some bands related to this or as it says in the manual that this my happen and is just fine?MikeVE3WDM

Re: KAT2 C55 nul adjustment

VE3WDM
Good morning Don, thanks very much for taking the time to respond. Good to know the C55 cal is in spec. As for the SWR sorry for the confusion but I am getting as the book says 1.1 SWR and on some bands 1.5....so all is well I would assume?
Mike
VE3WDM

Re: KAT2 C55 nul adjustment

Don Wilhelm-4
Mike,

Yes, 1.5 is quite OK - your original email said 5:1 and that must have
been a typo.