KAT2 Debate

Curt
After purchasing a KAT2 kit together with my K2 kit in 2008, I never built
the KAT2.  After using K2 s/n 6424 for more than a year with a ZM2 tuner, am
debating whether to just sell the KAT2 kit.  Not sure what if anything am
missing by not having an autotuner installed in the K2.  Any advice?  73,
Curt KB5JO

Re: KAT2 Debate

John-483
At 02:55 PM 11/09/09, you wrote:
>   Not sure what if anything am
>missing by not having an autotuner installed in the K2.  Any advice?  73,
>Curt KB5JO

Curt,

I have the KAT2 in each of my K2's. I usually have them in line.
However, the main reason I have them is because they provide a port
for a second transmit/receive antenna. I suppose they provide some
band pass isolation when in line.

John
k7up

Re: KAT2 Debate

Johnny Siu
Hello John,

Agreed.  ATU is a preselector / filter in certain extend. It will improve isolation and selectivity though not significant but noticeable.

KAT2 is not cheap when compared with other antenna tuners say from LDG or ZM2.  However, the merit of having KAT2 is that you get everything in one box.  Just throw up a wire of say 30 ft and push the ATU bottom then you are doing your QSO.   This is the reason why K2 is my most favorite field day HF rig.

On the other hand, if you have a number of QRP rigs, then you may consider whether you would like to have an ATU which can also work other rigs apart from K2.

To this end, I always praise / admire Elecraft's talent in radio design / marketing / production cost control / price decision - a classic business school case worth studying.

cheers,

Johnny Siu VR2XMC

寄件人﹕ John <[hidden email]>
收件人 [hidden email]