KAT2 INSTALL - VOLTAGE AT U4, PIN1

CJA

KAT2 INSTALL - VOLTAGE AT U4, PIN1

CJA
After listening for a while and reviewing basic and advanced operation I am now beginning the install of the K2 accessories.  For the KAT2 I am getting .001 V at U4/PIN 1.  Is this "close enough" to zero?  If not, please advise the best way to trace back the origin of this voltage.  BTW, in TUNE I am at 3.8.  Thanks.

Chris
K7CJA
K2#6442
73,

K7CJA

Re: KAT2 INSTALL - VOLTAGE AT U4, PIN1

Don Wilhelm-4
Chris,

Unless you are really careful with your DMM leads and have zeroed your
DMM, *any* reading of .001 volts (or even up to .003) can be considered
zero under normal conditions because it is likely noise being coupled
onto the DMM leads from sources unknown.

So, yes, that is close enough to zero.

Additional hint: if you are ever going to install the K60XV, use a 470
ohm resistor at the R6 location rather than the 47 ohm value.  If you
have the K60XV in hand, you will find an extra 470 ohm resistor just for
that purpose packaged with the kit.

CJA

Re: KAT2 INSTALL - VOLTAGE AT U4, PIN1

CJA
Don:

Thanks again.  Good news.  And thanks for the hint I do have the k60xv to install so this is a big help.  I am kind of going by guess and by golly on what order I install things.  I have started with the KAT2 and had planned to move to the SSB2, but I may do the 160m accessory first.  Suggestions always appreciated.

73's
Chris
Don Wilhelm wrote

K7CJA

Re: KAT2 INSTALL - VOLTAGE AT U4, PIN1

Don Wilhelm-4
Chris,

If you have not already done so, when you take the heat sink off to add
the AUX RF connector for the KAT2, while you have it off, add the RF
Board capacitors and the header for the K160RX option.  These can be
done without any further changes.  Hold the K60XV installation until
last.  Install the K160RX and the KSB2 and then you can do all the SSB
filter setup and the bandpass filter alignment for 160 and 80 meters
(there is only one adjustment for both bands, so you may have to use a
compromise setting).   The other options may be installed in any order
you desire.
You will have to remove the heat sink once more to add the K60XV option.

Hint for removing the heat sink - the biggest danger is that the screws
come out and the PA mounting hardware scatters all over the bench.  To
prevent that, take 2 pieces of electrical tape and push them down over
the screw heads, sticking the edges to the RF board and T4.  The screws
will stay in place when you remove the heat sink, but put nuts on them
if you will be doing any extensive work.