KAT500 and KPA500

Arie Kleingeld PA3A-2
As soon as the KAT500 is available I'll order it together with the KPA500.
I wonder why the KX3 is on the Elecraft site as a 'coming soon' and
there's no mentioning of the KAT500?

73
Arie PA3A

Re: KAT500 and KPA500

w0mu
Because the KAT500 is/was still in Engineering.  They actually have a KX3.

On 8/9/2011 2:59 PM, Arie Kleingeld PA3A wrote:

> As soon as the KAT500 is available I'll order it together with the KPA500.
> I wonder why the KX3 is on the Elecraft site as a 'coming soon' and
> there's no mentioning of the KAT500?
>

> 73
> Arie PA3A

Re: KAT500 and KPA500

Gary Gregory
Considering the number of KPA-500 owners awaiting the KAT-500 along with
folks keeping their powder dry on ordering a KPA-500 until the KAT-500 is
released and the number of KPA-500 owners that have expressed a wish to
order a KAT-500 I would have thought we would have seen information start to
trickle out on more detail...:-(

Maybe I am being too simplistic but I thought that an auto-tuner would not
be all that difficult to design and that given the time that has passed
since word was released that the KAT-500 was coming we would have seen more
Ele-News...:-(

Gary

On 10 August 2011 07:08, Mike Fatchett W0MU <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Because the KAT500 is/was still in Engineering.  They actually have a KX3.
>
> On 8/9/2011 2:59 PM, Arie Kleingeld PA3A wrote:
> > As soon as the KAT500 is available I'll order it together with the
> KPA500.
> > I wonder why the KX3 is on the Elecraft site as a 'coming soon' and
> > there's no mentioning of the KAT500?
> >

> > 73
> > Arie PA3A
> > Post: mailto:[hidden email]

VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment
K3 #679, KPA-500 #018
Living the dream!!!

Re: KAT500 and KPA500

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
Our design team is actively working on the KAT500 right now, both on the
hardware and software.

Its certainly a bit more work than simply scaling up the KAT3 etc. :-)
Several members of the KAT500 team are also involved in parts the KX3
development, so the the two projects do impact one another a small amount.

We're shooting for having the KAT500 out before the end of the year and
will publish more info on it as we get closer.

73, Eric  WA6HHQ

---
www.elecraft.com

On 8/9/2011 3:53 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:

> Considering the number of KPA-500 owners awaiting the KAT-500 along with
> folks keeping their powder dry on ordering a KPA-500 until the KAT-500 is
> released and the number of KPA-500 owners that have expressed a wish to
> order a KAT-500 I would have thought we would have seen information start to
> trickle out on more detail...:-(
>
> Maybe I am being too simplistic but I thought that an auto-tuner would not
> be all that difficult to design and that given the time that has passed
> since word was released that the KAT-500 was coming we would have seen more
> Ele-News...:-(

Re: KAT500 and KPA500

k5oai
don't leave out those of us that
can't afford a KPA500 until we save for maybe a year or so
but we want the KAT500 to use with our existing amps

hopefully the cost of the KAT500 won't be another 2 grand :-(

On 8/9/2011 6:02 PM, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:
 > We're shooting for having the KAT500 out before the end of the year and
 > will publish more info on it as we get closer.

eeek by the end of the year....
never mind

GB & 73
K5OAI
Sam Morgan

On 8/9/2011 5:53 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:

> Considering the number of KPA-500 owners awaiting the KAT-500 along with
> folks keeping their powder dry on ordering a KPA-500 until the KAT-500 is
> released and the number of KPA-500 owners that have expressed a wish to
> order a KAT-500 I would have thought we would have seen information start to
> trickle out on more detail...:-(
>
> Maybe I am being too simplistic but I thought that an auto-tuner would not
> be all that difficult to design and that given the time that has passed
> since word was released that the KAT-500 was coming we would have seen more
> Ele-News...:-(
>
> Gary

Re: KAT500 and KPA500

wayne burdick
This will be our first high-power tuner, so we're taking the time to
do it right. We have to ensure that it's safe and reliable as well as
fast and accurate. Our KAT500 design experience will also lay the
groundwork for future ATUs that handle higher power and offer
additional features.

We have a small team working on it. Among other tasks, they've had to
completely model the L-network and its strays, ensure that all
components have a significant safety margin during worst-case
operating stresses, and evaluate electrical and physical interactions
with various radios and amplifiers. We're writing a new rapid-matching
algorithm to work with the ATU's special sense circuitry. We just
added an option module to provide a fully-protected sub receiver
output port, so the K3's sub receiver can use the non-transmit KAT500
antenna for diversity receive -- just like the KAT3.

Then there's the usual -- PCB, enclosure, manuals, and a considerable
amount of lab and field testing. Right in the middle of vacation
season :)

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Aug 9, 2011, at 3:53 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:

> Considering the number of KPA-500 owners awaiting the KAT-500 along
> with
> folks keeping their powder dry on ordering a KPA-500 until the
> KAT-500 is
> released and the number of KPA-500 owners that have expressed a wish
> order a KAT-500 I would have thought we would have seen information
> start to
> trickle out on more detail...:-(
>
> Maybe I am being too simplistic but I thought that an auto-tuner
> would not
> be all that difficult to design and that given the time that has
> passed
> since word was released that the KAT-500 was coming we would have
> seen more
> Ele-News...:-(

Re: KAT500 and KPA500

Tony Estep
On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 6:16 PM, Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ....a considerable amount of lab and field testing.....

Re: KAT500 and KPA500

Ken Alexander-2
Just as long as this doesn't get in the way of any KX3 development!   :-)

73 - Ken, VE3HLS

 > We're shooting for having the KAT500 out before the end of the year
and will publish more info on it as we get closer.

Re: KAT500 and KPA500

GREG WILSON
Wayne -- will the KAT500 be rated at 500 watts or will it handle more?  73
de Greg-N4CC

This will be our first high-power tuner, so we're taking the time to do it
right. We have to ensure that it's safe and reliable as well as fast and
accurate. Our KAT500 design experience will also lay the groundwork for
future ATUs that handle higher power and offer additional features.

We have a small team working on it. Among other tasks, they've had to
completely model the L-network and its strays, ensure that all components
have a significant safety margin during worst-case operating stresses, and
evaluate electrical and physical interactions with various radios and
amplifiers. We're writing a new rapid-matching algorithm to work with the
ATU's special sense circuitry. We just added an option module to provide a
fully-protected sub receiver output port, so the K3's sub receiver can use
the non-transmit KAT500 antenna for diversity receive -- just like the KAT3.

Then there's the usual -- PCB, enclosure, manuals, and a considerable amount
of lab and field testing. Right in the middle of vacation season :)

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Aug 9, 2011, at 3:53 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:

> Considering the number of KPA-500 owners awaiting the KAT-500 along
> with
> folks keeping their powder dry on ordering a KPA-500 until the
> KAT-500 is
> released and the number of KPA-500 owners that have expressed a wish
> order a KAT-500 I would have thought we would have seen information
> start to
> trickle out on more detail...:-(
>
> Maybe I am being too simplistic but I thought that an auto-tuner
> would not
> be all that difficult to design and that given the time that has
> passed
> since word was released that the KAT-500 was coming we would have
> seen more
> Ele-News...:-(

KAT500 and KPA500

Johnny Siu
I trust the KPA500+KAT500 combo also target at non-elecraft radios as well.  This will make products more marketable.

Apart from technical issues, from business point of view, the forthcoming KAT500 should have attributes better than those currently available in the market from LDG, THP and MFJ etc etc so that elecraft can justify any price differential.  Price skimming strategy is not the norm for elecraft.

TNX & 73,

Johnny VR2XMC

從︰ Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]>
收件人︰ Elecraft Reflector <[hidden email]>
傳送日期︰ 2011年08月10日 (週三) 7:16 AM
主題︰ Re: [Elecraft] KAT500 and KPA500

This will be our first high-power tuner, so we're taking the time to
do it right. We have to ensure that it's safe and reliable as well as
fast and accurate. Our KAT500 design experience will also lay the
groundwork for future ATUs that handle higher power and offer
additional features.

We have a small team working on it. Among other tasks, they've had to
completely model the L-network and its strays, ensure that all
components have a significant safety margin during worst-case
operating stresses, and evaluate electrical and physical interactions
with various radios and amplifiers. We're writing a new rapid-matching
algorithm to work with the ATU's special sense circuitry. We just
added an option module to provide a fully-protected sub receiver
output port, so the K3's sub receiver can use the non-transmit KAT500
antenna for diversity receive -- just like the KAT3.

Then there's the usual -- PCB, enclosure, manuals, and a considerable
amount of lab and field testing. Right in the middle of vacation
season :)

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Aug 9, 2011, at 3:53 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:

> Considering the number of KPA-500 owners awaiting the KAT-500 along
> with
> folks keeping their powder dry on ordering a KPA-500 until the
> KAT-500 is
> released and the number of KPA-500 owners that have expressed a wish
> order a KAT-500 I would have thought we would have seen information
> start to
> trickle out on more detail...:-(
>
> Maybe I am being too simplistic but I thought that an auto-tuner
> would not
> be all that difficult to design and that given the time that has
> passed
> since word was released that the KAT-500 was coming we would have
> seen more
> Ele-News...:-(

Re: KAT500 and KPA500

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
It will work with most amps.

73, Eric

---
www.elecraft.com

On 8/9/2011 4:14 PM, Sam Morgan wrote:

> don't leave out those of us that
> can't afford a KPA500 until we save for maybe a year or so
> but we want the KAT500 to use with our existing amps
>
> hopefully the cost of the KAT500 won't be another 2 grand :-(
>
> On 8/9/2011 6:02 PM, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:
>   >  We're shooting for having the KAT500 out before the end of the year and
>   >  will publish more info on it as we get closer.
>   >

Re: KAT500 and KPA500

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
More. Stay tuned.

73, Eric

---
www.elecraft.com

On 8/9/2011 4:37 PM, Greg wrote:
> Wayne -- will the KAT500 be rated at 500 watts or will it handle more?  73
> de Greg-N4CC

Re: KAT500 and KPA500

Gary Gregory
Damn.....I drooled on my shirt agin.......:-(

Gary

On 10 August 2011 10:50, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> More. Stay tuned.
>
> 73, Eric
>
> ---
> www.elecraft.com
>

> On 8/9/2011 4:37 PM, Greg wrote:
> > Wayne -- will the KAT500 be rated at 500 watts or will it handle more?
>  73
> > de Greg-N4CC

VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment
K3 #679, KPA-500 #018
Living the dream!!!

Re: KAT500 and KPA500

w0mu
We would expect nothing less than doing it right from the Elecraft team!