KAT500

haircutter@verizon.net
Been setting up my Kat500 with my K-line.
all cables seem fb and the kat utility seems to recognize everything. But can't get the kat500 to sense any rf. if i push the tune button it blinks. I tried transmitting on my antenna and into a dummy load. checked to coax between the KPA500 and the KAT500. fb....
 Is there a setting that I am missing ??

Don...w2xb

Re: KAT500

N5GE-2
Don,

If all cabling is correct you should be able to tune by doing the
following:

1. Do this once.  Set the tune power by going into the CONFIG menu by
holding the MENU button. Select TUN PWR and use the Main VFO to set
the power at 025 (watts).  I now keep my TUN PWR at 25 watts because
the KAT500 tunes best at that power level.

2. On the KAT500, select the ANT port your antenna connected to.
3. Select the frequency you want to tune with K3 VFO A.
4. Make sure the KAT500 MODE is set to AUTO.
5. HOLD the XMIT button on the K3 to begin tuning and the tuner
should begin to tune.
6. Let the KAP500 tune until it finds a match.  After it has tuned at
that particular frequency it will set itself back to that frequency
any time the frequency is shown on the K3 VFO A with usually one
click.

Repeat steps 2 through 5 for all of your favorite frequencies and
you're ready to play.

My antenna system setup:

Port One connects to my multiband loop because the loop is used for
all bands below 20m.

Port Two is connected to my switch box which chooses the antennas for
20m Up.

Port Three is connected to the dummy load here.

I hope that helps.  You're going to love your new toy.

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
ARRL Lifetime Member
QCWA Lifetime Member

On Sat, 10 Nov 2012 11:43:09 -0800 (PST), W2XB
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Been setting up my Kat500 with my K-line.
>all cables seem fb and the kat utility seems to recognize everything. But
>can't get the kat500 to sense any rf. if i push the tune button it blinks. I
>tried transmitting on my antenna and into a dummy load. checked to coax
>between the KPA500 and the KAT500. fb....
> Is there a setting that I am missing ??
>
>Don...w2xb

Re: KAT500

WB4SON
Tom,

Just curious if setting the CONFIG/TUN PWR actually does what you think?
 I've never tried that, but I would expect it would set the power used for
the internal K3 tuner and the tune button the the K3.  Since you can't tune
the KAT500 that way, and must use the XMIT button to send a carrier
(leaving the KAT in Auto), doesn't that just output a carrier at whatever
power level you have set with the Power knob?

I've heard from Wayne that the communication exists between the K3 and KAT
to fully integrate it (no idea what that means, although I have my wish
list), but it hasn't made it into the firmware yet.

73, Bob, WB4SON

73, Bob, WB4SON

Re: KAT500

Dick Dievendorff
I think I have this right:

If I set my CONFIG:TUN PWR to "nor" and dial the K3 PWR knob to 100 watts, I
get about 100 watts out when I hold the K3 TUNE button (I have the KPA500
off for this).  The KAT500 can tune with 100 watts, but it's more than is
needed.

If I set my CONFIG:TUN PWR to 20 and dial the K3 PWR knob to 100 watts, I
get 20 watts out when I hold the K3 TUNE button, which is about right for
the KAT500.

My rig K3 PWR is set to 100 watts when the KPA500 is not present and about
25 watts with the KPA500 in "Operate".

If CONFIG:TUN PWR is set to NOR, power output during TUNE follows the
setting of the PWR knob. If you set CONFIG:TUN PWR to another fixed value,
that's the level used for TUNE, regardless of the current PWR setting.

73 de Dick, K6KR

Re: KAT500

haircutter@verizon.net
Kat500 problem solved.....
reset the parameters in the utility program (EEINIT;)
That did it. Kat500 is working great..

thanks to all that responded.

Don...w2xb

P.S. great reflector!!!

Re: KAT500

Pierfrancesco Caci
Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Tom,
>
>Just curious if setting the CONFIG/TUN PWR actually does what you
>think?
>I've never tried that, but I would expect it would set the power used
>for
>the internal K3 tuner and the tune button the the K3.  Since you can't
>tune
>the KAT500 that way, and must use the XMIT button to send a carrier
>(leaving the KAT in Auto), doesn't that just output a carrier at
>whatever
>power level you have set with the Power knob?
>
>I've heard from Wayne that the communication exists between the K3 and
>KAT
>to fully integrate it (no idea what that means, although I have my wish
>list), but it hasn't made it into the firmware yet.
>
>73, Bob, WB4SON
>Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Hold XMIT to access the TUNE function which works at this preset level he's talking about. This is NOT the same as pressing or holding ATU

--
Pierfrancesco Caci

Re: KAT500

k6dgw
On 11/10/2012 11:43 AM, W2XB wrote:
> Been setting up my Kat500 with my K-line.
> all cables seem fb and the kat utility seems to recognize everything. But
> can't get the kat500 to sense any rf. if i push the tune button it blinks. I
> tried transmitting on my antenna and into a dummy load. checked to coax
> between the KPA500 and the KAT500. fb....
>   Is there a setting that I am missing ??

I'm doing a field test on the KAT500 assembly/owner's manual and had the
same issue.  The Owner's Manual on pg 11 says, "Apply RF Power between
10 and 100 watts."  Most of us when using the KAT3, have TUNE PWR set to
5W or so, and then we forgot about TUN PWR and happily operated.  :-)

Go to CONFIG:TUN PWR and set it to something like 20W.  That's where
mine is now, and KAT500 works great.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2013 Cal QSO Party 5-6 Oct 2013
- www.cqp.org