KDSP2

richard gilley
Your opinion is valued.
I recently completed my K2.  And was thinking of  adding DSP.
As a CW op only, would the KDSP2 be a good addition?

Best regards
Dick AD1G

Re: KDSP2

Bob Nielsen-2
I suspect there are different opinions, but mine is that it
definitely improves performance.  I was amazed at the effectiveness
of the noise reduction, for example.

Bob, N7XY

On Jul 28, 2009, at 6:09 PM, richard gilley wrote:

> Your opinion is valued.
> I recently completed my K2.  And was thinking of  adding DSP.
> As a CW op only, would the KDSP2 be a good addition?
>
> Best regards
> Dick AD1G

Re: KDSP2

Johnny Siu
Hello Richard,

In terms of lessen operation fatigue, KDSP2 is good.  Compared with modern DSP rigs, the noise reduction is just basic though workable.  For the amount spent for KDSP2,  in my opinion, I don't think it is not value for money because I need it good in both CW and SSB.

I once installed a KDSP2 for my K2 but I sold it later without regret.  Yes, I may be subjective but it is exactly what I feel.

Every operator has his own preference. What is good for me is not necessary the same for others.  Perhaps, the merit of K2 is that you have been given the choice to tailor fit.

cheers,

Johnny VR2XMC

________________________________
寄件人﹕ richard gilley <[hidden email]>
收件人 [hidden email]
傳送日期﹕ 2009 年 7月 29 日 星期三 上午 9:09:28
主題: [Elecraft] KDSP2

Your opinion is valued.
I recently completed my K2.  And was thinking of  adding DSP.
As a CW op only, would the KDSP2 be a good addition?

Best regards
Dick AD1G

      Yahoo!香港提供網上安全攻略,教你如何防範黑客! 請前往 http://hk.promo.yahoo.com/security/ 了解更多!

Re: KDSP2

OE5CSP-Chris

<quote author="richard gilley">
Your opinion is valued.
I recently completed my K2.  And was thinking of  adding DSP.
As a CW op only, would the KDSP2 be a good addition?

Best regards
Dick AD1G

Dick,

I own both, the analog filter and the DSP filter.In my opineon the analog filter sounds  much better than the DSP Filter on CW. On SSB the DSP filter is defenitely an improvement.For me, the K2 is a superb CW rig, so I installed the analog filter.

73, Chris-OE5CSP

Re: KDSP2

David Pratt
Dick - I agree with Chris, for CW-only operation the KAF2 filter would
be a better option than the KDSP2.

73

David G4DMP

In a recent message, OE5CSP-Chris <[hidden email]> writes
Dick said...

--
David G4DMP
Leeds, England, UK

Fwd: KDSP2

richard gilley
Thank you all for your input.  Your vote was 4 to 3 in favor.
More importantly the additional information you all provided is very
helpful.
73
Dick
AD1G

Begin forwarded message:

> From: richard gilley <[hidden email]>
> Date: July 28, 2009 9:09:28 PM EDT
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Elecraft] KDSP2
>
> Your opinion is valued.
> I recently completed my K2.  And was thinking of  adding DSP.
> As a CW op only, would the KDSP2 be a good addition?
>
> Best regards
> Dick AD1G

Re: Fwd: KDSP2

.k8dd.-2
richard gilley wrote:
> Thank you all for your input.  Your vote was 4 to 3 in favor.
> More importantly the additional information you all provided is very
> helpful.
> 73
> Dick
> AD1G

Make it 5 to 3 in favor!
If I ever get the second K2, which may happen soon, it will definitely
have a KDSP2.  It really makes a difference on 160 and 80 CW!

72  73    Hank    K8DD

Re: Fwd: KDSP2

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Fwd: KDSP2

KK7P
I might as well weigh in, too :-)

Disclaimer: I have a pecuniary interest in the KDSP2!

One nice feature of the KDSP2 is if you set the bandwidth of the K2 to
wide, and tune to an area of a band that is normally active when there
is activity at all.

The NR function then acts like a smart squelch.  If the band is dead,
you hear nominal silence.  If a signal comes up anywhere in the
passband, the NR will build a filter around it and you'll hear it.

In these days of low sunspot activity, this can be a great way to
monitor for a band opening without staring at a computer screen, or
listening to fatiguing band noise.

73,

Lyle KK7P

Re: KDSP2

Johnny Siu
Hello David,

I would agree with you and had in fact sold my KDSP2 without any regret.  With A/B side-by-side comparison with my other DSP rigs, Noise Reduction NR of KDSP2 is just average and nothing outstanding.  I experimented various settings of the KDSP2 as suggested by the Group.  Regrettably,  I did not achieve a satisfactory result.

I now keep the KAF2 mainly for clock function.  KAF2 can be obtained from the used market at an attractive price.

BTW,  I shall soon depart for London, Uk.  Are there any ham shops in London that I can have a look?

73

Johnny Siu VR2XMC

________________________________
寄件人﹕ David Pratt <[hidden email]>
收件人 Elecraft Reflector <[hidden email]>
傳送日期﹕ 2009 年 7月 29 日 星期三 下午 6:32:13
主題: Re: [Elecraft] KDSP2

--
David G4DMP
Leeds, England, UK

      Yahoo!香港提供網上安全攻略,教你如何防範黑客! 請前往 http://hk.promo.yahoo.com/security/ 了解更多!

Re: Re: KDSP2

KK7P
 > BTW, I shall soon depart for London, UK.  Are there
 > any ham shops in London that I can gave a look?

< URL:http://www.hamradio.co.uk/ >

and

< URL:http://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/amateur.html >

Neither is in London, but these are the two largest Amateur radio
dealers in the UK.  Nothing to see there, really, since they don't stock
Elecraft...

:-)

73,

Lyle KK7P

Re: KDSP2

Bill Coleman-2

On Jul 28, 2009, at 9:09 PM, richard gilley wrote:

> I recently completed my K2.  And was thinking of  adding DSP.
> As a CW op only, would the KDSP2 be a good addition?

For CW-only, perhaps not so much. I owned a KAF2 originally, and
swapped out to the KDSP2.

I never used the filtering features of the KAF2. It sounded too ringy
to my ears.

On the KDSP2, I don't use the NR option often. However, I used the
notch filter (SSB-only) all the time, and I use the narrow filtering
options often in CW, RTTY and SSB.

I think every K2 ought to have one or other other, just to get the low-
pass filter in the audio chain.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: [hidden email]
Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

Re: Re KDSP2

David Woolley (E.L)
Johnny Siu wrote:

> BTW,  I shall soon depart for London, Uk.  Are there any ham shops in
> London that I can have a look?

The last one in central London disappeared over a decade ago.  I'm not
sure if there ever were others in the centre, although, when I was
young, there used to be components and surplus shops (including some on
Lisle Street, in Chinatown).

After that, there used to be some about 8 miles out, but, at least on my
side of London, they have also moved out.  The nearest I can find is in
Chertsey, which is at least 15 miles out, near the far side of Heathrow
airport.

You might be able to get VHF handies at Maplins, who have an increasing
high street presence, including central London, but, for anything else,
you will have to go out of London.

Is this just a brief visit, as I know at least one radio club (in outer
London) that I am sure would appreciate a talk on amateur radio in Hong
Kong and South China.  They have several Elecraft rigs amongst their
members.
--
David Woolley
"we do not overly restrict the subject matter on the list, and we

Magnetic Loop antenna...off Elecraft topic

KM6XZ
Hello Elecraft'ers
I have been trying to figure out a decent antenna that can be used indoors
with my K2(until I can get permission to install an antenna on the roof) to
use on the 3rd story of a 5 story 1828 apartment house in downtown St
Petersburg Russia. Being such an old brick building the walls are 1 meter
thick at their thinnest. The leakage from cable TV, DSL and electric trams
cause a high noise level and the poor antenna options make for weak signals.
I went to the woods this weekend and tried a new 40m dipole and heard a lot
more with the low noise level out there.
When I returned to the city I was more determined than ever to get something
up that was more effective than the 20m inside dipole I have been using.

I found a small plumbing shop open late and bought 4 meters of 1/2in copper
tubing and made a loop this evening. I had no high voltage capacitors so cut
various lengths of RG-58A to use as coax caps and kluged a Faraday shielded
loop coupling system to drive the main loop. None of it is permanent yet but
after only working on it for 30 minutes total, I have been amazed how well
it works with the low power version K2. Comparing the loop sitting vertical
in my living room the noise level is 10db lower than the indoor dipole and
signals are steadier and much easier to copy. The difference in fading depth
is dramatically improved. The bandwidth for 2:1 SWR on 20 is 80khz without
retuning the center of which is 1:1. I only set it up for 20 and 40 but
using fixed lengths of coax as the tuning capacitor but during my experiment
I found the loop worked on 80m also but with higher SWR. Obviously I need a
real variable cap which the electronics parts stores here don't have(all the
experimenters it seems were born in the digital age).
So back to the plumbing shop tomorrow for parts to make some piston caps.
I'll build the caps with 5kv or higher so if I get the 100watt K3 I'll be
ready. A big plus is being able to match the antenna directly bypassing the
KAT2 for higher efficiency. My built-in K2 tuner is more efficient than my
MFJ tuner even though the MFJ has some usefulness for use with balanced
lines and built-in dummy load.

Anyone else build small loops for use with their QRP rigs for a while? The
only down side I've seen is the need for more complex remote tuning and
narrow range before needing to retune. What has been your experience? What
am I missing, since the magnetic loop seems to solve so many problems for
antenna restricted stations why are they not talked about more often?

Stan
KM6XZ
St Petersburg Russia

Re: Magnetic Loop antenna...off Elecraft topic

Jon Kåre Hellan
Stan Jacox wrote:

> Anyone else build small loops for use with their QRP rigs for a while? The
> only down side I've seen is the need for more complex remote tuning and
> narrow range before needing to retune. What has been your experience? What
> am I missing, since the magnetic loop seems to solve so many problems for
> antenna restricted stations why are they not talked about more often?

Never tried one. It sounds like you've come up with something that will at least improve your
reception. You should do some systematic measurements to see if transmission is better or worse
than with the dipole. There are many magnetic loop success stories, but my impression is that
even more hams find them inefficient for transmission. Your 80 kHz 2:1 SWR tuning range on 20m is
a warning sign to me. I believe it should be narrower for an efficient magnetic loop. But building
a better capacitor should improve that.

Good luck
Jon LA4RT

Re: Magnetic Loop antenna...off Elecraft topic

David Cutter
In my experience magnetic loops and QRP are incompatible UNLESS we are at a high sunspot situation.  Lots of articles have been written over the years and a good one was in QST using a trombone-shaped tubing for the tuning capacitor with PTFE between the parts.  Use minimum 22mm copper tube and very few or no junctions.

The bandwidth is very narrow indicating very high Q and very high voltages across the capacitor and very high currents in the tubing.  A very slow motor control is needed.

They are quiet due to mainly being sensitive only to the magnetic portion of the wave, ie discriminating against electic field noise.

Conclusion I would make is:
good for reception where the low gain is easy to make up in the rx
poor for transmission, I've heard 20dB down on a dipole.

So, keep your dipole for transmitting and use the loop for rx.  Watch out for feedback from transmitter antenna back into rx: use a relay changeover.

You can turn the loop to reduce interference from particularly bad sources.

David
G3UNA

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Magnetic Loop antenna...off Elecraft topic

Augie "Gus" Hansen
Stan Jacox wrote:
> I found a small plumbing shop open late and bought 4 meters of 1/2in copper
> tubing and made a loop this evening. I had no high voltage capacitors so cut
> various lengths of RG-58A to use as coax caps and kluged a Faraday shielded
> loop coupling system to drive the main loop.

Coax capacitors made from RG-213 can handle up to 150 watts or so before
arcing over if the open end has good separation between the shield and
the center conductor. RG-58A probably won't do that well, but can easily
handle QRP levels as you have reported.

> ... The bandwidth for 2:1 SWR on 20 is 80khz without
> retuning the center of which is 1:1. I only set it up for 20 and 40 but
> using fixed lengths of coax as the tuning capacitor but during my experiment
> I found the loop worked on 80m also but with higher SWR. Obviously I need a
> real variable cap which the electronics parts stores here don't have(all the
> experimenters it seems were born in the digital age).

With a good quality capacitor and a 0.5 inch copper loop conductor about
13 feet long, the instantaneous bandwidth on 20 meters should be about
24 kHz with 4.3 kV across the capacitor at 100 watts. Efficiency would
be around 66% provided all connections are solid and the capacitor has
very low series resistance. That means either a properly welded
butterfly or split stator cap, or better yet, a vacuum variable
capacitor. Your 80 kHz value shows that losses are high in your
temporary configuration, but that is to be expected.
On 40 meters with a good quality capacitor a loop this size exhibits a 7
kHz instantaneous bandwidth and about 18% efficiency at best. On 80
meters bandwidth drops to 4 kHz and efficiency to less than 2%.

> Anyone else build small loops for use with their QRP rigs for a while? The
> only down side I've seen is the need for more complex remote tuning and
> narrow range before needing to retune. What has been your experience? What
> am I missing, since the magnetic loop seems to solve so many problems for
> antenna restricted stations why are they not talked about more often?

Small loops that are efficient can be made for QRP and QRO use. It's
just that the QRO version has to be able to handle very high loop
current and capacitor voltage simultaneously. Fatter conductors, such as
the copper outer of 7/8 inch hard line, raise the loop Q resulting in
higher efficiency but narrower bandwidth.

For what it's worth I wrote an article about a two-turn small
transmitting/receiving loop (STL), a.k.a, magnetic loop for antenneX,
the on-line antenna magazine, for their May 2009 issue. That article is
available only to subscribers, but I put two pictures on the web site
that anyone can view. They show 1) the loop hanging about eight feet off
ground, and 2) the remotely controlled vacuum variable capacitor (VVC)
unit that tunes it. This antenna covers 40-80 meters (actually 3-9.5
MHz) at up to 1KW. The VVC is rated at 15 KV at 65 amps. The pattern is
a tight figure eight with the nulls perpendicular to the plane of the
loop (i.e., along the axis).  Here are the URLs for the pictures:

    http://download.antennex.com/listarch/files/2T_STL.jpg
    http://download.antennex.com/listarch/files/2T_STL_vvc.jpg

By using two turns, the loop has been reduced to a 4.5 foot diameter
size. A comparable single-turn loop would be a bit over nine feet in
diameter.

I wish you great success with your magnetic loop efforts.

73,
Gus Hansen
KB0YH

Re: Magnetic Loop antenna...off Elecraft topic

Doug Person
All I can say is: WOW.

Doug -- K0DXV

Augie Hansen wrote:

> [...]
> ground, and 2) the remotely controlled vacuum variable capacitor (VVC)
> unit that tunes it. This antenna covers 40-80 meters (actually 3-9.5
> MHz) at up to 1KW. The VVC is rated at 15 KV at 65 amps. The pattern is
> a tight figure eight with the nulls perpendicular to the plane of the
> loop (i.e., along the axis).  Here are the URLs for the pictures:
>
>     http://download.antennex.com/listarch/files/2T_STL.jpg
>     http://download.antennex.com/listarch/files/2T_STL_vvc.jpg
>
> By using two turns, the loop has been reduced to a 4.5 foot diameter
> size. A comparable single-turn loop would be a bit over nine feet in
> diameter.
>
> I wish you great success with your magnetic loop efforts.
>
> 73,
> Gus Hansen
> KB0YH

Re: Magnetic Loop antenna...off Elecraft topic

Hello Ron
Thank you for your comments.
I had little choice in antennas or stay off the air until the roof was
accessible since the walls are so thick, apartment so small and the metal
clad roof combine to render a wire antenna useless. Even on receive the wire
antenna has worked little better than a dummy load.
The losses as you mention in the turner, either the T or L form is what I am
able to avoid by having a good match directly from the 50ohm unbalanced
feedline. I had used the MFJ tuner's watt meter alone in tuner-bypass mode.
I run the K2 with the KAT2 bypassed also. The match at resonance is 1:1 on
the loop, and the feedline is short, less than 15 feet.
I built a two gang piston capacitor yesterday using cooper pipe with Teflon
tape as a thin dielectric layer between the inner and outer pipes and the Q
improved quite a bit, and resulted in much narrower bandwidths.
On the air tests with a station about 20 miles away on 40 indicated a 1.5 S
unit difference in signal strength between the loop and indoor dipole
connected with the two halves of the 20meter dipole open wire balanced
feedline shorted together working against ground through the tuner. On 20,
with the dipole connected as a resonant conventionally balanced-line fed
dipole the signal was weaker for both but the other station reported 1 S
unit difference, both cases the loop was stronger. I was seeing his signal
stronger by about the same on the loop but the lower noise of the loop made
it seem much stronger.
Using the piston caps the tuning covers from about 5.5mhz to 22Mhz, and no
additional fixed caps in parallel. I don't think I will bother trying to
push it down to 80m. My girlfriend's family as a dacha outside the city and
we are planning a party for our friends there next weekend so that will be a
good test of the loop, in the clear compared to a wire dipole suspended
between trees in the woods. I would expect the loop to lose that comparison
test. The antenna problems could be all moot if I move in with my GF if I
get way. Her apartment is in a taller building where she has access to the
roof with no other antennas installed. That way I could put up a shortened
yagi or quad on a short tower. Besides her apartment is beautiful....just as
she is;>)

I am going back to California for a couple weeks at the end of this month
and will be able to bring back some parts or more test gear unless I blow
all my money on a K3 or new lenses for my camera. I need the lenses more
than a K3 since the K2 does all I really need, particularly if I add the DSP
filter.

I like running the 10-14 watts of the K2 but I also have a TS50s here
running 100watts if more power is needed. The K2 has a better receiver and
has a lot more features so I only use the TS50s for its AM short wave
broadcast capability. I did try the 100 watts with the loop and the
capacitor did not arc or heat so if I got the 100watt upgrade kit for the K2
I would probably be safe.

Thanks for the comments
Stan