KFK1-2 Question

Curt
I originally built my K1 using the KFL-4 for 40,30,20&15, and shortly
incorporated the KAT1.  I have a KFL-2 kit am wanting to build for 80&17,
but note that a C78 and RFC8 is to be incorporated onto the RF board.   This
has given me pause because the K1 works flawlessly, hate to screw it up to
allow using two other bands.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has walked the path I am
contemplating with advice about utility of it,  especially, switching out
filter boards from time to time.  What are the ramifications of not
incorporating the RF board changes?  If I incorporate these changes for 80,
will that foul up performance if later reinstall the KFL-4?

Regards, Curt, KB5JO

Re: KFK1-2 Question

Don Wilhelm-4
Curt,

Go ahead and install C78 and RFC8.  They are necessary for 80 meters,
but will do no harm to the other bands or any of your calibrations.

Curt wrote:

> I originally built my K1 using the KFL-4 for 40,30,20&15, and shortly
> incorporated the KAT1.  I have a KFL-2 kit am wanting to build for 80&17,
> but note that a C78 and RFC8 is to be incorporated onto the RF board.   This
> has given me pause because the K1 works flawlessly, hate to screw it up to
> allow using two other bands.
>
> I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has walked the path I am
> contemplating with advice about utility of it,  especially, switching out
> filter boards from time to time.  What are the ramifications of not
> incorporating the RF board changes?  If I incorporate these changes for 80,
> will that foul up performance if later reinstall the KFL-4?
>
> Regards, Curt, KB5JO

Re: KFK1-2 Question

Peter Wollan-2
Curt,

Switching filter boards on the K1 is quick, but enough of a pain that
I find I don't do it often.  Unscrew the top cover, unscrew the tuner
(if you have it, which you should, I think), lift out the tuner, lift
out the filter board, plug in the new board, screw in the tuner, screw
the top back on, go to the menu and reset the bands.  A tip:  use a
couple of toothpicks to line up the spacers under the tuner, and to
hold one of them while you're putting the long screw in the other.

Maybe only two minutes total, but not something you do just to see
what's happening on the band.

    Peter N8MHD

(snip) especially, switching out