KFL1-4 Options Question

Curt
Since the KFL1-4 module allows either 17 or 15 selected at build time, I'm wondering whether building say ??,20,17&15 (leaving out 30M or 40M)is workable. It seems to me that this ought to work fine.  With sunspot count increasing, am wishing for 4 band module more focused to the higher bands.

I personally find the K1 a really enjoyable little QRP rig to use, and have a bunch of gear dwarfing it's diminuative size sitting idle on the desk.  I actually like using  XIT on the K1 better than using split on my QRO rigs for working DX. Recently have had VK2, EA1, E51, 5N0, CT9, KL7, and GA5 QSOs with 3 watts on 17 and 15.  It would be nice to not need to change filters to QSO both of these bands.

73, Curt KB5JO

Re: KFL1-4 Options Question

Don Wilhelm-4
Curt,

Not practical.  Yes, that might work, but you would need to design your
own board (or highly modify the KFL1-4 board).
The reason is in the Low Pass filters - there are only 2 - the board is
wired for 2 bands to use the lower frequency LPF and two more bands use
the higher LPF.  The lower band LPF has a cutoff somewhere near 11 MHz.
The lower 2 bands use this LPF.  So the lowest low band must be higher
than 1/2 the cutoff frequency - and in ham band language, that means 40
and 30 are a good pair.  The higher band(s) Low Pass filter cutoff is
just above the 15 meter band, so it is usable for any bands between
about 12 MHz and 22 MHz - that means any two of 20, 17 and 15 meters.
are the possibilities, but the board is wired so only 2 of these bands
can be used.

You might want to consider a 4 band board plus an additional 2 band
board - say for 80 and 17, and configure the 4 band board for 40, 30 and
20,15m.  That would give you coverage from 80 thru 15 meters with a
filter board swap.

[hidden email] wrote:
> Since the KFL1-4 module allows either 17 or 15 selected at build time, I'm wondering whether building say ??,20,17&15 (leaving out 30M or 40M)is workable. It seems to me that this ought to work fine.  With sunspot count increasing, am wishing for 4 band module more focused to the higher bands.
>
> I personally find the K1 a really enjoyable little QRP rig to use, and have a bunch of gear dwarfing it's diminuative size sitting idle on the desk.  I actually like using  XIT on the K1 better than using split on my QRO rigs for working DX. Recently have had VK2, EA1, E51, 5N0, CT9, KL7, and GA5 QSOs with 3 watts on 17 and 15.  It would be nice to not need to change filters to QSO both of these bands.
>
> 73, Curt KB5JO

Re: KFL1-4 Options Question

Ross Primrose N4RP
Couldn't you just change the component values to raise the lower LPF to
say, 16MHz, and run 30m & 20m through the lower filter, and 17m & 15m
through the existing higher LPF?

73, Ross N4RP

Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Curt,
>
> Not practical.  Yes, that might work, but you would need to design your
> own board (or highly modify the KFL1-4 board).
> The reason is in the Low Pass filters - there are only 2 - the board is
> wired for 2 bands to use the lower frequency LPF and two more bands use
> the higher LPF.  The lower band LPF has a cutoff somewhere near 11 MHz.
> The lower 2 bands use this LPF.  So the lowest low band must be higher
> than 1/2 the cutoff frequency - and in ham band language, that means 40
> and 30 are a good pair.  The higher band(s) Low Pass filter cutoff is
> just above the 15 meter band, so it is usable for any bands between
> about 12 MHz and 22 MHz - that means any two of 20, 17 and 15 meters.
> are the possibilities, but the board is wired so only 2 of these bands
> can be used.
>
> You might want to consider a 4 band board plus an additional 2 band
> board - say for 80 and 17, and configure the 4 band board for 40, 30 and
> 20,15m.  That would give you coverage from 80 thru 15 meters with a
> filter board swap.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Since the KFL1-4 module allows either 17 or 15 selected at build time, I'm wondering whether building say ??,20,17&15 (leaving out 30M or 40M)is workable. It seems to me that this ought to work fine.  With sunspot count increasing, am wishing for 4 band module more focused to the higher bands.
>>
>> I personally find the K1 a really enjoyable little QRP rig to use, and have a bunch of gear dwarfing it's diminuative size sitting idle on the desk.  I actually like using  XIT on the K1 better than using split on my QRO rigs for working DX. Recently have had VK2, EA1, E51, 5N0, CT9, KL7, and GA5 QSOs with 3 watts on 17 and 15.  It would be nice to not need to change filters to QSO both of these bands.
>>
>> 73, Curt KB5JO

FCC Section 97.313(a) “At all times, an amateur station must use the minimum transmitter power necessary to carry out the desired communications.”

Re: KFL1-4 Options Question

wayne burdick
Administrator

On Nov 23, 2009, at 8:16 PM, Ross Primrose wrote:

> Couldn't you just change the component values to raise the lower LPF
> say, 16MHz, and run 30m & 20m through the lower filter, and 17m & 15m
> through the existing higher LPF?

Probably, though I haven't tried it. Our original intent was to cover
40 m as well.

73,
Wayne
N6KR