KNB2 Noise Blanker

Bill - K6WLM
Hello Elecrafters,

In the archives there are several messages regarding the effectiveness or lack of effectiveness of the KNB2 noise blanker for the K2.  Having just finished assembly of one for my recently completed K2 I wanted to share my findings.

This kit is an easy build with only three simple toroid coils to wind. There are no transformers. The one SMD device is pre-installed on its own small circuit board and caused no assembly problems.

Installation of the KNB2 caused a very small loss of sensitivity in the K2.  This is not noticeable with off the air signals but was detectable when checking MDS with a calibrated signal generator.  Sensitivity is still more than adequate for the HF bands.

The noise blanker is very effective in reducing my local power line noise. Weak signals on 20 meters that were not copyable before are now Q-5. According to the S meter the noise is being reduced from 20 dB over S9 to a level of only about S3 with no noticiable signal distortion.

I am very pleased with this accessories for my K2.

73,
Bill - K6WLM