KPA 500 Band buttons inop while rig is connected to Aux port

KPA 500 Band buttons inop while rig is connected to Aux port

WA6KEK
I made up a cable to go from my FT-2000 Band Data port to the Aux port of the KPA500. It works perfectly; changes bands on the KPA when I change them on the Yaesu and keys the amp too without the need for a line to the PA KEY port on the amp.
While set up this way, the band buttons on the KPA are inop. I am assuming this is by design to prevent transmitting on the wrong band, but I just want to make sure I didn't do something wrong.
73 Alan WA6KEK

Re: KPA 500 Band buttons inop while rig is connected to Aux port

Mike K2MK
Hi Alan,

This note is on page 9 of the KPA500 manual. Two way control only occurs with a K3.

"Band switching control in which the KPA500 follows the transceiver band selection without
transmitting is available with other popular transceivers such as Icom and Yaesu with the
appropriate interconnection cable. See AUX Connector Interface on pg 17. However, the control
is one-way. The KPA500 cannot command the transceiver to change bands."

73,
Mike K2MK

WA6KEK wrote
73 Alan WA6KEK

Re: KPA 500 Band buttons inop while rig is connected to Aux port

WA6KEK
Thank you very much for the response Mike. I had a clear understaning going into this that the KPA was not going to send data to my rig. It was just not spelled out that the band buttons would be inop. It certainly makes sense that they would be.
73 Alan WA6KEK

Re: KPA 500 Band buttons inop while rig is connected to Aux port

Jack Brindle-2
Page 13 of the KPA500 manual explains this. You need to change the Radio Menu selection from K3 to BCD. That will disable attempts to communicate with a K3 and enable the band buttons.

Jack B, W6FB
Elecraft Engineering

On Apr 8, 2012, at 9:18 PM, WA6KEK wrote:

> Thank you very much for the response Mike. I had a clear understaning going
> into this that the KPA was not going to send data to my rig. It was just not
> spelled out that the band buttons would be inop. It certainly makes sense
> that they would be.
> 73 Alan WA6KEK

Re: KPA 500 Band buttons inop while rig is connected to Aux port

WA6KEK
Jack,
Thank you for pointing that out. I completely overlooked that. I will make
the menu change when I get home.
73 Alan WA6KEK

Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless