KPA-500 Specs

Stephen Springer
I have been haunting the reflector for a couple of months looking for some
definitive figures on the linearity specs on the KPA-500.  The only things
I've found have been cert graphs for FCC certification.  These are OK but
not at the standard of a tube amplifier of equivalent power output.

I am surprised that Elecraft hasn't been more forthcoming on these specs.

Am I missing something or are these spec not important because most folks
are using solid state transceivers that are not necessarily  the cleanest
exciters to begin with?

Incidentally I did order the kit back in April, but am looking for a comfort
factor!

Thanks for any enlightenment.

Steve Springer K3NPK

Re: KPA-500 Specs

Don Wilhelm-4
  Stephen,

I don't have the data that you are requesting, but from your comment
about "solid state transceivers are not necessarily the cleanest
exciters", I would differ.  Solid state transceivers are cleaner than
any of the vacuum tube exciters that I am familiar with, and that
experience goes back to the mid 1950s.  The K3 is exceptionally clean
and the ARRL and Sherwood data support that.

I expect the KPA500 to be equally clean, although I do not have the data
available.  Elecraft has been a "good neighbor" for others on the ham
bands, and I expect nothing less with the KPA500.