KPA 500 and KAT 500

WB9JPH
CORRECTION:

I asked a question about running the K3 in my 2nd floor shack and putting the amp and tuner in the basement, HOWEVER, I didn't catch my typo in the original message.

I want to put the KAT 500 and KPA 500 in the basement and have the K3 in the 2nd floor shack.

How can I do this?

Any problems?

73
John
WB9JPH

Re: KPA 500 and KAT 500

Scott Manthe-2
John,
I guess my question is why would you want to? You're going to have coax
loss either way, and while you might get some benefit in having the
tuner and amp closer to the antenna, I'm not sure it'd be worth not
having the $2200 amp and $600 tuner in the shack.

73,
Scott, N9AA

On 5/27/12 12:36 AM, WB9JPH wrote:

> CORRECTION:
>
> I asked a question about running the K3 in my 2nd floor shack and putting the amp and tuner in the basement, HOWEVER, I didn't catch my typo in the original message.
>
> I want to put the KAT 500 and KPA 500 in the basement and have the K3 in the 2nd floor shack.
>
> How can I do this?
>
> Any problems?
>
> 73
> John
> WB9JPH

Re: KPA 500 and KAT 500

Guy, K2AV
Just guessing here, some elucidation on why you want to remote would be
helpful.

There are some number of reasons to run the KPA and KAT (near where the
coax comes into the house?) in the basement.  One is not having a long
ground attached to the amplifier, putting RF on a lot more of the house.
 Another is having amp at a distance from quirky non-ham things in the
shack.  Another is space where a K3 is only one thing in a multipurpose
desk, etc, etc.

Another advantage is to use cable like RG400 to leave the shack.  Much more
attractive and easier to deal with.  The loss is made up in the amplifier.

Running shielded CAT 5 cable for various connections will get the
communications from the K3 to the two units, and the cable of course.

An Ameritron AWM 35 power and swr meter comes with a display and a remote
unit.  And a 25 foot piece of CAT 5 to go between the two.  Several
companies make a two piece 1x6 switch.  This would allow a K3, a 3.5x5
meter display and a similar sized switch for the 1x6 to be all that was in
the desk.  Very compact, very neat.

73, Guy