KPA-500 from Orlando

Re: KPA-500 from Orlando

Jack Brindle
Another way is to add series diodes between the driver and the
amplifier. You will want to have pullups on the amplifier side.

Accidental powering is a major, but for the most part unrecognized,
problem with low-power equipment when one is not powered. We have to
provide isolation circuits to keep power from one system from
accidentally activating another. In your case it is the XCVR power
powering the amp's MCU. Microprocessors require amazingly small
amounts of power these days, and will quite readily power themselves
through their I/O pins, although it actually may end up destroying the
processor.

In your case, since the band data is one-way, adding the isolation
diodes on the amplifier side actually provides a good solution. Use a
schottky diode,like a 1N5711 for good results. And don't forget the
pullups on the amplifier side of the diodes.

Jack Brindle, W6FB

On Feb 15, 2011, at 4:47 PM, Phil & Debbie Salas wrote:

> "Wayne,  I have my THP HL-2.5kfx, is there a way to control both via
> the K3?
> I would
> like to select the device to use based on conditions without going
> through a
> lot of switching.  Bill K9YEQ"
>
> Unless the design has been changed recently, either the HL1.5 or the
> HL2.5
> (or maybe both - I can't remember) load down the band data lines
> when the
> amp is turned off.  If you have a stiff enough band data source
> (like a TTL
> driver), you can actually partially power-up the processor in the
> THP amp
> via the band data inputs when the amp is off.  So you may have to
> switch the
> band data lines between the KPA500 and the THP amp.  Or use band
> data for
> the THP amp, and the KPA500 RF sense for KPA500 band changing (the
> KPA500 RF
> sense works VERY well).
>
> Phil - AD5X

Re: KPA-500 from Orlando

Phil Salas
"Another way is to add series diodes between the driver and the amplifier.
You will want to have pullups on the amplifier side....  Jack Brindle, W6FB"

This is a good solution.  The HL2.5 has internal pull-up resistors so you
would just need the series diodes in the interface cable (anode towards the
HL2.5 amp).  The HL2.5 uses a DB15 connector, so it would be easy to add the
diodes inside the mating connector.  The HL1.5 does NOT have internal
pull-up resistors.  So if this idea is used with the HL1.5, pull-up
resistors must be added inside the amp or in the interface cable with a
means of connecting to a pull-up voltage source.  The HL1.5 uses a
240-degree 5-pin DIN, so there is not much room inside that connector.

Phil - AD5X

Re: KPA-500 from Orlando

Dave Perry N4QS
I have been thinking about a similar scenario in switching between two amps
when the new KPA500 comes available.  In my case I would like to use the
KPA500 most of the time and only revert to my vintage Drake L7 amp in the
rare instances when I really need 1.3 KW.  I am wondering if I can run the
KPA500 at 500 W through the bypass circuit of the L7 if the L7 is off or in
standby status.  The L7 manual doesn't mention any power limitations for the
bypass circuit.  It certainly handles 100 W with no problem.  Does anyone
have any thoughts on this?  Otherwise, I guess I will have to come up with
some type of a DTDP switching scheme to switch the K3 and antennas between
the two amps.  Another option would be to buy another K3 and go SO2R.

Dave, N4QS