KPA-500 fuse block door

k2zf50
Hi,

I just received my factory built KPA-500 amplifier. The fuses were not included with the amp so I went to Radio Shack and picked up two 3 AG 6 amp fuses for 240 v operation.
With the fuses installed the fuse block door will not close. Is this normal? With the fuses out of the fuse block the door closes perfectly but with the fuses installed I just can't close it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jim Douglas  K2ZF

Re: KPA-500 fuse block door

w0mu
You should have received a fuse package for both 220 and 110v fuses.
The door should close.

On 9/15/2011 8:39 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I just received my factory built KPA-500 amplifier. The fuses were not included with the amp so I went to Radio Shack and picked up two 3 AG 6 amp fuses for 240 v operation.
> With the fuses installed the fuse block door will not close. Is this normal? With the fuses out of the fuse block the door closes perfectly but with the fuses installed I just can't close it.
>

> Any suggestions?
>

> Thanks,
> Jim Douglas  K2ZF

J6/W0MU November 21 - December 1 2011 CQ WW DX CW

Re: KPA-500 fuse block door

Barry Simpson
Hi Jim

My recollection is that the fuses need to be very firmly seated otherwise
there is a problem as you indicate. I had a sismilar issue until I realised.

Regards

Barry Simpson  VK2BJ

On 16 September 2011 02:39, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I just received my factory built KPA-500 amplifier. The fuses were not
> included with the amp so I went to Radio Shack and picked up two 3 AG 6 amp
> fuses for 240 v operation.
> With the fuses installed the fuse block door will not close. Is this
> normal? With the fuses out of the fuse block the door closes perfectly but
> with the fuses installed I just can't close it.
>

> Any suggestions?
>

> Thanks,
> Jim Douglas  K2ZF

Re: KPA-500 fuse block door

k2zf50
Hi,

The Radio Shack fuses that I am using because Elecraft forgot to include them with my KPA-500 may be the reason the fuse block door is not closing. I have the fuse block seated correctly. There is a resistance to push the fuse block into the KPA-500 and I have done that correctly. I am going to call Elecraft and have them send me the fuses that were not included with my amplifier.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

73, Jim Douglas  K2ZF

You should have received a fuse package for both 220 and 110v fuses.
The door should close.

On 9/15/2011 8:39 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I just received my factory built KPA-500 amplifier. The fuses were not
included with the amp so I went to Radio Shack and picked up two 3 AG 6 amp
fuses for 240 v operation.
> With the fuses installed the fuse block door will not close. Is this normal?
With the fuses out of the fuse block the door closes perfectly but with the
fuses installed I just can't close it.

> Any suggestions?
>

> Thanks,
> Jim Douglas  K2ZF

J6/W0MU November 21 - December 1 2011 CQ WW DX CW

Re: KPA-500 fuse block door

k6rb
Jim,

The fuses would have been in two small brown envelopes in the same bag as
the line cord. Double check to make sure that they did, in fact, omit
packing them.

Rob K6RB

> Hi,
>

> The Radio Shack fuses that I am using because Elecraft forgot to include
> them with my KPA-500 may be the reason the fuse block door is not closing.
> I have the fuse block seated correctly. There is a resistance to push the
> fuse block into the KPA-500 and I have done that correctly. I am going to
> call Elecraft and have them send me the fuses that were not included with
> my amplifier.
>

> Thanks for everyone's suggestions.
>

> 73, Jim Douglas  K2ZF

Rob,

The line cord was not in a bag, maybe that is why I can't find the fuses. Maybe the radio shack fuses are a bit larger in diameter than the Elecraft fuses and that is why when the fuse block is inserted in the rear of the KPA-500 the fuse block door won't close.  The fuse block is seated properly, just like the picture in the manual, so I maybe I won't worry about the door?

Jim  K2ZF

The fuses would have been in two small brown envelopes in the same bag as
the line cord. Double check to make sure that they did, in fact, omit
packing them.

Rob K6RB

> Hi,
>

> The Radio Shack fuses that I am using because Elecraft forgot to include
> them with my KPA-500 may be the reason the fuse block door is not closing.
> I have the fuse block seated correctly. There is a resistance to push the
> fuse block into the KPA-500 and I have done that correctly. I am going to
> call Elecraft and have them send me the fuses that were not included with
> my amplifier.
>

> Thanks for everyone's suggestions.
>

> 73, Jim Douglas  K2ZF

Vic Rosenthal
When I was in Israel I learned a phrase which literally translated is "product as-if". A
product as-if is something that looks like what it is supposed to be, but actually can't
perform the function.

Everyone has had the experience of buying a product as-if and then discovering that not
only is it not usable, but it could not possibly be usable, given the design, materials,
tolerances, etc. For example, recently I've had PL259's that won't take solder, tools that
break the first time you try to use them, screws made of metal so soft that it's a
struggle not to destroy the slots, etc.

I don't want to pick on Radio Shack in particular, but they do carry a lot of them.
Luckily they will take things back for a refund if they are no good, but it's still /very/
annoying, especially with little stuff (and then they go right back on the shelf).

For various reasons that I won't go into, there are many more "products as-if" on the
shelves here in the US these days. It's just part of the generalized decline of civilization.

So maybe he bought some "fuses as-if."

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA

Re: KPA-500 fuse block door

Phil Salas
The spring under the amp-end of the fuses sort of pushes the fuse ends out a bit.  I simply squeezed the fuses as I pushed the assembly in place.  It did resist, but then snapped in place.

Phil - AD5X

Re: KPA-500 fuse block door

k2zf50

Hi Phil,

Thanks! That is exactly what my problem is and I will try your suggestion!!

73,

Jim Douglas  K2ZF