KPA 500

greenacres113-2
I know some  guys are reporting seeing them at hamfests. Maybe I've missed it  but is there an actual date they may be on the market? It's not the  end of the world, I'm  just wondering when
K9IL

Re: KPA 500

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
  We're shooting for first regular production in Feb. Field test
production is running now.

73, Eric
www.elecraft.com
---

On 10/18/2010 8:32 AM, r miles wrote:
> I know some  guys are reporting seeing them at hamfests. Maybe I've missed it  but is there an actual date they may be on the market? It's not the  end of the world, I'm  just wondering when
> K9IL

Re: KPA 500

wayne burdick
Hi Bob,

We're shooting for February. The amps are working beautifully, but we
need to ramp up for production, and some parts have longer lead times.
We'll be announcing pricing, etc., well before then.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Oct 18, 2010, at 8:32 AM, r miles wrote:

> I know some  guys are reporting seeing them at hamfests. Maybe I've
> missed it  but is there an actual date they may be on the market?
> It's not the  end of the world, I'm  just wondering when
> K9IL

Re: KPA 500

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604
So, when can we order one?

73, doug

   Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 09:24:19 -0700
   From: "Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft" <[hidden email]>

     We're shooting for first regular production in Feb. Field test
   production is running now.

   ---

   On 10/18/2010 8:32 AM, r miles wrote:
   > I know some  guys are reporting seeing them at hamfests. Maybe
   I've missed it  but is there an actual date they may be on the
   market? It's not the  end of the world, I'm  just wondering when

Re: KPA 500

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
  Not yet, but probably before year end.

We want to see our final production parts price quotes and production
parts lead times finalized before setting the price and order date.

We also have to complete the FCC part 97 self certification submittal
and get the subsequent approval. We are working on that now. That takes
30-60 days. For the FCC test data, there is nothing really difficult. We
just have to present test data showing that the amp:

1. Has no more than 15 dB of gain.

2. Does not amplify between 26 and 28 MHz.
(We use an internal freq counter for auto band switching to to handle
this requirement.)

3. Meets the normal part 97 spurious levels for harmonics etc, which it
easily exceeds.

Plus we submit a bunch of additional docs, including a preliminary
manual, block diagram, schematics etc. Lots of fun! :-)

We'll certainly post here when we open it up for orders :-)  We will not
do that until we are confident of both the cost and the production ship
date.

73, Eric
www.elecraft.com

On 10/18/2010 9:27 AM, Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 wrote:

> So, when can we order one?
> 73, doug
>
>     Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 09:24:19 -0700
>     From: "Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft"<[hidden email]>
>
>       We're shooting for first regular production in Feb. Field test
>     production is running now.

Re: KPA 500

Jim Brown-10
  On 10/18/2010 9:45 AM, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:
> We also have to complete the FCC part 97 self certification submittal
> and get the subsequent approval.

It's important to realize that FCC Rules require that this certification
be obtained before the amp can be OFFERED FOR SALE.  So Elecraft is not
being cagey or dragging their feet -- they MUST do this, and it must be
the actual design that they are building.

73, Jim K9YC

CE Marking - was: KPA 500

dj7mgq
Hi,

 > We also have to complete the FCC part 97 self certification submittal

I wonder what the CE Marking status is?

vy 73 de toby

Re: CE Marking - was: KPA 500

Laurent F6DEX
CE Marking is not required for HAM radio kits.

73, Laurent F6DEX
Laurent F6DEX

Re: CE Marking - was: KPA 500

David Cutter
But it is for the built version

David
G3UNA

> CE Marking is not required for HAM radio kits.
>
> 73, Laurent F6DEX

Re: CE Marking - was: KPA 500

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
Correct.
73, Eric
www.elecraft.com
====

On 10/22/2010 1:58 PM, David Cutter wrote:
> But it is for the built version
> David
> G3UNA
>
> --------
> CE Marking is not required for HAM radio kits.
>
> 73, Laurent F6DEX

Re: CE Marking - was: KPA 500

Brendan Minish
On Fri, 2010-10-22 at 21:58 +0100, David Cutter wrote:
> But it is for the built version

According to certain consumer device manufacturers it seems that CE  is
just a little sticker you buy on a big roll that you stick on when
shipping to Europe ;-)

Brendan EI6IZ

Re: CE Marking - was: KPA 500

Matt Zilmer
Not according to this one: Magellan Navigation.  And there are many
others that play by the rules.

matt W6NIA

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 23:39:51 +0100, you wrote:

>On Fri, 2010-10-22 at 21:58 +0100, David Cutter wrote:
>> But it is for the built version
>
>According to certain consumer device manufacturers it seems that CE  is
>just a little sticker you buy on a big roll that you stick on when
>shipping to Europe ;-)

Re: CE Marking - was: KPA 500

gm3sek
Brendan Minish wrote:
>On Fri, 2010-10-22 at 21:58 +0100, David Cutter wrote:
>> But it is for the built version
>
>According to certain consumer device manufacturers it seems that CE  is
>just a little sticker you buy on a big roll that you stick on when
>shipping to Europe ;-)

"Californian Export"

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

Re: CE Marking - was: KPA 500

Bob Nielsen-2

On Oct 22, 2010, at 11:54 PM, Ian White GM3SEK wrote:

> Brendan Minish wrote:
>> On Fri, 2010-10-22 at 21:58 +0100, David Cutter wrote:
>>> But it is for the built version
>>
>> According to certain consumer device manufacturers it seems that CE  is
>> just a little sticker you buy on a big roll that you stick on when
>> shipping to Europe ;-)
>>

> "Californian Export"

Based on most of the instances where I have seen the marking, "Chinese Electronics" :^)

Re: CE Marking - was: KPA 500

Brendan Minish
I am all in favour of the CE rules and CE mark system, It's just a pity
that in many EU member states market surveillance and enforcement is lax
(& under-resourced) as this allows the unscrupulous manufacturers to get
away with cutting corners to the detriment of consumers (& radio
amateurs) and hurts companies that invest the engineering time and
resources to ensure that their products are compliant with the safety
and EMC requirements

I am glad that magellan do things right, I have seen (serous) issues
with strong interference to marine VHF by some marine chart plotter
products produced by another prominent North American Company.

Marine VHF is of course FM and as a result most users won't notice the
problem that is rendering their VHF 'deaf' when the plotter is on..

On Fri, 2010-10-22 at 16:43 -0700, Matt Zilmer wrote:

> Not according to this one: Magellan Navigation.  And there are many
> others that play by the rules.
>
> matt W6NIA
>
> On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 23:39:51 +0100, you wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 2010-10-22 at 21:58 +0100, David Cutter wrote:
> >> But it is for the built version
> >
> >According to certain consumer device manufacturers it seems that CE  is
> >just a little sticker you buy on a big roll that you stick on when
> >shipping to Europe ;-)

Brendan EI6IZ

[QRO] Re: KPA 500

W5UXH
I would be interested in knowing if the KPA-500 will work QRQ / QSK (to at least 70 wpm) with the K3 in CW+ mode, where the KEY OUT to RF out timing is fixed at approximately 4 to 5 msecs?  Also, does the KPA-500 QSK use all solid state switching (no relays)?  Anyone have any information on these details?

Chuck, W5UXH

wayne burdick wrote