KPA-500 vs THP

Re: KPA-500 vs THP

Ken Chandler
Hello Jack et al
Thanks for your input.
Just would like to compare it with my SPE amp.
I can hook it up with 2 Radios (SO2R) situation, the SPE has a dedicated connector for so2r,

The down side for me with the the SPE is the relays, they are extremely noisy, clack clack in QSK.
secondly it's just come back from Rome, Italy, for a Mod to the relays for QSK.
I blew up the relays last year during IOTA contest.
So I'm looking at the kpa500 as a possible replacement as I only use it on half power (400w legal in UK)
So I was interested in what the intended full spec was as I've been seriously looking at Icom amps as I have used them on CW contests in Cyprus with C4i contest station.
So yes, I know what I'm looking for but will compromise!!
The inbuilt  ATU on the SPE (3 - 1) amp is  good, but I don't hardly ever use it as all my antenna's are SteppIR.

Ken..G0ORH

Sent from my iPhone

On 25 Jan 2011, at 00:01, Jack Brindle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Rest assured this is the case. At least two contesters are on the design/development team.
>
> You won't need many connections, however. Basically all you will need is RF in, ANT out and PA Key in. There are other connections available, of course. It works _very_ well with the K3.
>
> Are you looking for anything in particular?
>
> Jack Brindle, W6FB
>
> On Jan 24, 2011, at 10:31 AM, Ken Chandler wrote:
>
>> I'm more interested in how the KPA 500 handles a full blown 48hr CW contest  with full QSK.
>> What connections are on
>> the rear panel, etc.
>> I just hope someone from the contesting brotherhood has it and given it a really good workout!!
>>

>> Ken..G0ORH  k2, K3, P3
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>

>> On 24 Jan 2011, at 18:04, Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> The KPA500 will do full QSK at over 80 WPM with the K3 in QRQ mode.
>>>
>>> Yes, it uses PIN-diode T/R switching.
>>>
>>> Wayne
>>> N6KR

>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Re: KPA-500 vs THP

Igor Sokolov-2
> Yes, good exercise. Except ICPW1, all the prices are WITHOUT antenna
> tuning
> unit.
>
> Based on that, the price per watt for SPE is say $3.9 per watt but with
> built-in
> ATU. THP will be sure out of my consideration.
>

> cheers,
>

> Johnny VR2XMC

In addition SPE understands any make of TRCVR not only Icom. What I
specially like is that the amp follows TX frequency getting the information
from CAT system but then it dowble checks it with own RF sense and frequency
counter before switchin to TX.
I just wonder if KAT-500 is going to be integrated into KPA500 or will it be
in a separate box?

73, Igor UA9CDC

KPA-500 vs THP

Johnny Siu
Hello Igor,

Really have no idea about KAT500.  Same as you, I would like KPA500+KAT500 in
one box.  This arrangement will give better transportation convenience.
 cheers,

Johnny VR2XMC

________________________________
寄件人﹕ Igor Sokolov <[hidden email]>
收件人﹕ Johnny Siu <[hidden email]>; Phil Hystad <[hidden email]>
副本(CC) Wes Stewart <[hidden email]>; Elecraft <[hidden email]>
傳送日期﹕ 2011/1/25 (二) 8:47:23 PM
主題: Re: [Elecraft] Re: KPA-500 vs THP

> Yes, good exercise. Except ICPW1, all the prices are WITHOUT antenna tuning
> unit.
>
> Based on that, the price per watt for SPE is say $3.9 per watt but with
>built-in
> ATU. THP will be sure out of my consideration.
>

> cheers,
>

> Johnny VR2XMC

In addition SPE understands any make of TRCVR not only Icom. What I specially
like is that the amp follows TX frequency getting the information from CAT
system but then it dowble checks it with own RF sense and frequency counter
before switchin to TX.
I just wonder if KAT-500 is going to be integrated into KPA500 or will it be in
a separate box?

73, Igor UA9CDC

Re: KPA-500 vs THP

k4tmc

 A lot of us want the KAT500 as a remote matching unit that can be used near the antenna versus a shack-bound unit.

73,
Henry - K4TMC

Really have no idea about KAT500.  Same as you, I would like KPA500+KAT500 in

one box.  This arrangement will give better transportation convenience.

 cheers,

Johnny VR2XMC

________________________________

寄件人﹕ Igor Sokolov <[hidden email]>

收件人﹕ Johnny Siu <[hidden email]>; Phil Hystad <[hidden email]>

副本(CC) Wes Stewart <[hidden email]>; Elecraft <[hidden email]>

傳送日期﹕ 2011/1/25 (二) 8:47:23 PM

主題: Re: [Elecraft] Re: KPA-500 vs THP

> Yes, good exercise. Except ICPW1, all the prices are WITHOUT antenna tuning

> unit.

> Based on that, the price per watt for SPE is say $3.9 per watt but with

>built-in

> ATU. THP will be sure out of my consideration.

> cheers,

> Johnny VR2XMC

In addition SPE understands any make of TRCVR not only Icom. What I specially

like is that the amp follows TX frequency getting the information from CAT

system but then it dowble checks it with own RF sense and frequency counter

before switchin to TX.

I just wonder if KAT-500 is going to be integrated into KPA500 or will it be in

a separate box?

73, Igor UA9CDC

Re: KPA-500 vs THP

Gary Gregory
Henry,

Absolutely!...exactly what I want...:-)

Remote;y installed at the base of my antennas will be excellent.

Gary

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 12:19 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  A lot of us want the KAT500 as a remote matching unit that can be used near the antenna versus a shack-bound unit.
>
> 73,
> Henry - K4TMC

Gary
VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
http://www.qsl.net/vk4fd/
K3 #679
For everything else there's Mastercard!!!

Re: KPA-500 vs THP

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604
I've seen the KPA-500 at Visalia and have been following it closely (I
still want #22) and have just been on a DXpedition (ZK2A and VK9NN) with
a couple of the THP amps-  That just reinforced my desire for the KPA-500.
And if I'd had my Elecraft gear, I'd have been on as DU1/N6TQS and
DU1/N6TQS/DU8.

73,doug