KPA-500 watt meter vs. Palstar

k2zf50

Hi,

My KPA-500 watt meter and my Palstar watt meter read about the same at the higher power readings. But at the 100 watt and lower ranges there is a significant difference. My question is which is the more correct reading at the lower ranges, the Elecraft or Palstar. If I want to calibrate my K3 which one would be more accurate? Being that the Elecraft is a digital display would that one be more accurate?

Thanks,
Jim Douglas  K2ZF

Re: KPA-500 watt meter vs. Palstar

k2zf50
Hi Ray,

Thanks or your response. I have found that on 20 meters my K3 displays a high current warning above 80 watts displayed on the K3. Other bands I can transmit at 100 watts and no high current warning. I believe that is because the watt meter I have been using is not accurate and the K3 may be putting out in excess at this power level displayed on the K3 meter and therefore the high current warning. That is why I was asking which watt meter, the Palstar or the KPA-500 would be more accurate. I understand that 80 watts or 110 watts on the receiving end is not noticeable but I need to know why the high current warning at 80 watts on the K3? Is it the watt meter I am using to calibrate the K3?

Thanks,

Jim Douglas  K2ZF

Re: KPA-500 watt meter vs. Palstar

Grant Youngman
If you've run the TX gain calibration, and that worked properly, it sounds more like you have an actual load problem.  Which would cause high current.

Is the high current warning happening both with a known good 50 ohm load connected to the K3 and with the antenna?

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 18, 2011, at 8:45 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi Ray,
>

> Thanks or your response. I have found that on 20 meters my K3 displays a high current warning above 80 watts displayed on the K3. Other bands I can transmit at 100 watts and no high current warning. I believe that is because the watt meter I have been using is not accurate and the K3 may be putting out in excess at this power level displayed on the K3 meter and therefore the high current warning.

Re: KPA-500 watt meter vs. Palstar

k2zf50
The high current warning on 20 meters happens with either a dummy load or my antenna's through an antenna tuner. It happens only on 20 meters and over 80 watts. If I set the K3 for more than 80 watts the output of the K3 goes into oscillation evident on the K3 watt meter. Lower than 80 watts everything is OK. The TX gain calibration is good.

Thanks,

Jim  K2ZF

If you've run the TX gain calibration, and that worked properly, it sounds more
like you have an actual load problem.  Which would cause high current.

Is the high current warning happening both with a known good 50 ohm load
connected to the K3 and with the antenna?

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 18, 2011, at 8:45 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi Ray,
>

> Thanks or your response. I have found that on 20 meters my K3 displays a high
current warning above 80 watts displayed on the K3. Other bands I can transmit
at 100 watts and no high current warning. I believe that is because the watt
meter I have been using is not accurate and the K3 may be putting out in excess
at this power level displayed on the K3 meter and therefore the high current
warning.

Re: KPA-500 watt meter vs. Palstar

w0mu
Sounds like RF.  Are all the pl259's and other cabling tight etc?

We were having some strange problems with our Fire radio at the station
and somehow the connector on the back was nearly off.  Screwing it back
on solved a bunch of strange oddities that were happening in the comm room.

On 9/18/2011 8:37 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> The high current warning on 20 meters happens with either a dummy load or my antenna's through an antenna tuner. It happens only on 20 meters and over 80 watts. If I set the K3 for more than 80 watts the output of the K3 goes into oscillation evident on the K3 watt meter. Lower than 80 watts everything is OK. The TX gain calibration is good.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Jim  K2ZF

J6/W0MU November 21 - December 1 2011 CQ WW DX CW

Re: KPA-500 watt meter vs. Palstar

k2zf50
All connections are tight. I have substituted coax to address that concern. Its funny it happens only on 20 meters into a dummy load or antenna and tuner.

Sounds like RF.  Are all the pl259's and other cabling tight etc?

We were having some strange problems with our Fire radio at the station
and somehow the connector on the back was nearly off.  Screwing it back
on solved a bunch of strange oddities that were happening in the comm room.

On 9/18/2011 8:37 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> The high current warning on 20 meters happens with either a dummy load or my
antenna's through an antenna tuner. It happens only on 20 meters and over 80
watts. If I set the K3 for more than 80 watts the output of the K3 goes into
oscillation evident on the K3 watt meter. Lower than 80 watts everything is OK.
The TX gain calibration is good.

> Thanks,
>
> Jim  K2ZF

Tony Estep
On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 10:25 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ... it happens only on 20 meters into a dummy load...

=============
Maybe you can put a scope across the dummy load and calibrate your power
output that way. That has worked for me.

Tony KT0NY

--
http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352

Re: KPA-500 watt meter vs. Palstar

Jim,

Being one not to trust any instrument until it has proven its worth (and
calibration), I would not trust either until calibrated.

OK, that brings up the question of how to do a meaningful calibration.
I connect to a known good (precision) 50 ohm dummy load, and read the RF
voltage at the dummy load with my oscilloscope equipped with an RF
Probe.  A coax TEE adapter placed at the dummy load will give you access
to the center conductor.  Make certain the 'scope and probe are rated
for greater than 5 times the frequency at which you are doing the
measurement.

A quick and easy formula is to measure the peak to peak RF voltage,
square it and divide by 400.
Quicker and more accurate than doing conversion to RMS and then
calculating - a lot of terms cancel out if you want to attempt to derive
my formula yourself.

Note that many analog wattmeters are only spec'ed for 20% of the full
scale reading.  On a 200 watt scale, that means it can be off by 40
watts at any point on the dial.  Even the much revered Bird wattmeter is
only to be trusted to 5% of the full scale reading, and that is only
after lab calibration - so with a 100 watt slug, even the Bird can be in
error by as much as 5 watts at any point on the scale.  The precision
dummy load and the 'scope can do 5% or better at the level being
measured - i.e. at 5 watts, you may have a 0.25 watt error, and at 50
watts you may have a 2.5 watt error, but that is much better than a
typical analog wattmeter.

On 9/18/2011 8:58 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>

> My KPA-500 watt meter and my Palstar watt meter read about the same at the higher power readings. But at the 100 watt and lower ranges there is a significant difference. My question is which is the more correct reading at the lower ranges, the Elecraft or Palstar. If I want to calibrate my K3 which one would be more accurate? Being that the Elecraft is a digital display would that one be more accurate?
>

> Thanks,
> Jim Douglas  K2ZF

Re: KPA-500 watt meter vs. Palstar

k6dgw
On 9/18/2011 10:57 AM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Being one not to trust any instrument until it has proven its worth (and
> calibration), I would not trust either until calibrated.

Calibration sticker on it or not, in the final analysis, the only place
a meter can be known to be accurate [unless not working at all], is when
it reads zero.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011
- www.cqp.org