KPA100 Middle Side Screw Alteration

Unifiedtx
I wonder if anyone has considered drilling out a hole in the middle side
screw location on the KPA-100 big enough to force in an externally  splined
insert that has a 4-40 internal thread.  The external spline would  make the insert
grab the heat sink firmly so it would not turn with the  screw.  Does anyone
know where such an insert could be found, and has  anyone done this?  Roy
Morris  W4WFB

RE: KPA100 Middle Side Screw Alteration

Don Wilhelm-3
Roy,

McMaster-Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/ has self locking Threaded Inserts -
their PN 90248A016 is 4-40 threaded ID and 6-32 threaded OD - 10 per
package.

OTOH, Elecraft offers #5-40 taptite screws for those who have stripped the
threads - free on request.

G3VVT

In a message dated 06/02/05 23:23:53 GMT Standard Time, [hidden email]
writes:

McMaster-Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/ has self locking Threaded  Inserts -
their PN 90248A016 is 4-40 threaded ID and 6-32 threaded OD - 10  per
package.

-------------------------------

Note that you also need a correct sized installation tool to install  these
inserts.
We successfully used larger versions of the threaded inserts to install GE
Mastr II radios inside the cab of GMC and similar pickup cabs used in  extreme
environments.

Bob, G3VVT

RE: KPA100 Middle Side Screw Alteration

Don Wilhelm-3
Bob and all,

A special tool is not required with the inserts I specified.  They can be
turned into a hole with a bolt and a lock nut (2 jammed nuts will do).  Yes,
special insertion tools are available for high volume applications.