KPA500 10 meter behavior

K5SM
I put my KPA500 on 10 today for the first time and noticed a rather
unexpected behavior. Often, on the first character of transmission, the
K3 drive power apparently spikes, driving the KPA500 to more than 700
watts. This seems to stabilize following that first dit or two, but I
have to reduce drive to below 12 w before that behavior stops. Seems the
100 watt module in the K3 is behaving poorly. Anyone else noticed this?
Doesn't seem to be a problem on other bands. (SWR is 1.3:1).

73,

Bob K5SM

Re: KPA500 10 meter behavior

Klaus Koppendorfer
yes kpa-500 serial 230 has exactly the same behavior

Re: KPA500 10 meter behavior

bobgarceau
No problem on 10 meters on my #165 KPA500
W1EQ, Bob

yes kpa-500 serial 230 has exactly the same behavior

Re: K3/KPA500 10 meter behavior

K5SM
Actually, I think my original message was misleading. The problem is
really the K3 with which I drive the KPA500, causing the overdrive
condition. When first transmitting, instead of putting out the set power
(20 watts), my K3 generates significantly more (60 watts according to
the display on the KPA500 in standby). My KPA500 only requires about 20
watts to drive it to 500 watts on 10. Consequently, until the K3 settles
down (a matter of a second or so), it is overdriving the
amp...significantly.

73,

Bob K5SM

On 8/8/2011 2:42 PM, Robert Garceau wrote:

> No problem on 10 meters on my #165 KPA500
> W1EQ, Bob

wayne burdick
Administrator
Bob,

This can usually be corrected (at the K3) by re-doing the power
calibration steps, or by manually setting CONFIG:TXGN HP to a somewhat
lower value. This adjusts the open-loop gain on a per-band basis, and
should correct the overshoot. To change the TXGN HP value you have to
first set CONFIG:TX ALC to OFF. Further details in the K3 owner's
manual. If this doesn't do it, please contact K3 support.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Aug 8, 2011, at 1:14 PM, Robert Redmon wrote:

> Actually, I think my original message was misleading. The problem is
> really the K3 with which I drive the KPA500, causing the overdrive
> condition. When first transmitting, instead of putting out the set
> power
> (20 watts), my K3 generates significantly more (60 watts according to
> the display on the KPA500 in standby). My KPA500 only requires about
> 20
> watts to drive it to 500 watts on 10. Consequently, until the K3
> settles
> down (a matter of a second or so), it is overdriving the
> amp...significantly.
>
> 73,
>
> Bob K5SM
>
> On 8/8/2011 2:42 PM, Robert Garceau wrote:
>> No problem on 10 meters on my #165 KPA500
>> W1EQ, Bob

Re: KPA500 10 meter behavior

John Klewer

Mine does this on several bands......

On Mon Aug  8 12:42 , "Robert Garceau"  sent: