KPA500 AUX input

Ralph Parker
I ask this question in advance of the amp actually arriving, so I can't try
it myself to see if it works. Maybe it's an 'Eric' question anyway.

I currently use the AUX output from the K3 to drive my 'Top Ten' type band
decoder (actually, it's a W9XT) to drive the antenna selection relays .
Having an early K3, the pull-up resistors are in the decoder, not the K3.

The question, should anyone venture an educated guess:
Can I drive the KPA500's AUX input in parallel with my existing decoder
using a Y cord, or should I isolate the K3 from both the KPA500 and W9XT
with diodes?

Ralph, VE7XF

Re: KPA500 AUX input

Guy, K2AV
Running two separate sinks off the same source is always a crap shoot
unless you have analyzed the circuitry of the sinks and the source and
specifically determined that they are compatible in all states, which
must include all combinations of power on and power off states in all
three devices. And you have to be correct in your analysis -- physics
is no respecter of persons. There are no rules here other than to
actually run them in parallel without isolation is the lucky
circumstance.

It will be easier to do the isolation to start with than figure out
the facts of your particular combo, particularly since the most likely
outcome is that you need to do the isolation.

73, Guy.

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 8:10 PM, Ralph Parker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I ask this question in advance of the amp actually arriving, so I can't try
> it myself to see if it works. Maybe it's an 'Eric' question anyway.
>
> I currently use the AUX output from the K3 to drive my 'Top Ten' type band
> decoder (actually, it's a W9XT) to drive the antenna selection relays .
> Having an early K3, the pull-up resistors are in the decoder, not the K3.
>
> The question, should anyone venture an educated guess:
> Can I drive the KPA500's AUX input in parallel with my existing decoder
> using a Y cord, or should I isolate the K3 from both the KPA500 and W9XT
> with diodes?
>
> Ralph, VE7XF

Re: KPA500 AUX input

Richard Squire - HB9ANM
Hi Guy and Ralph

Yesterday, I sent an e-mail to Gary at Elecraft support with that very same question...
I am using a Unified Microsystems BCD-10 band decoder which has opto-isolated inputs so it should not be a problem. I don't know W9XT's Top Ten configuration though...
Let's see what Gary says – will forward his answer to you.
My K3 S/N 586 has the new KIO3 with the pull-up resistors and it works flawlessly with the decoder.

73
Richard - HB9ANM
Guy, K2AV wrote
It will be easier to do the isolation to start with than figure out
the facts of your particular combo, particularly since the most likely
outcome is that you need to do the isolation.

73, Guy.

> The question, should anyone venture an educated guess:
> Can I drive the KPA500's AUX input in parallel with my existing decoder
> using a Y cord, or should I isolate the K3 from both the KPA500 and W9XT
> with diodes?
>
> Ralph, VE7XF

Richard - HB9ANM

Re: KPA500 AUX input

Phil Salas
The KPA500 Band Data inputs do require the pull-up resistor mod on the K3.
However, if your Top Ten decoder has pull-ups to 5VDC, then you should be
able to use the Top Ten as your pull-up source as long as the Top Ten is
turned on (if the Top Ten is off, then there will be no pull-up and the
KPA500 won't respond to the K3 band data input without the K3 pull-up mod).
You'll need a true DB15HD splitter cable so as to connect both in parallel.
The only reason to diode-isolate the Top Ten is if the Top Ten loads down
the band data output from the K3 when the Top Ten is turned off (I don't
know if this is the case).

Phil - AD5X

"... I currently use the AUX output from the K3 to drive my 'Top Ten' type
band decoder (actually, it's a W9XT) to drive the antenna selection relays.
Having an early K3, the pull-up resistors are in the decoder, not the K3.

The question, should anyone venture an educated guess: Can I drive the
KPA500's AUX input in parallel with my existing decoder using a Y cord, or
should I isolate the K3 from both the KPA500 and W9XT with diodes?  Ralph,
VE7XF"

Re: KPA500 AUX input

Guy, K2AV
I think where you are getting to is dumping the burden of
understanding every possible piece of peripheral gear on Elecraft.
(And blaming them if they don't, or give you some errant advice?)

It's fine if they want to answer, but in the end, making ANY
transceiver, a K3 or a Yaesu 5000, or ..., work with a given PC and a
given operating system and drivers and peripheral gear is the OWNER'S
problem.

Elecraft is responsible for what programs they distribute and drivers
for stuff they sell, but after that, it's *US* that have the controls.

Personally I want Elecraft spending their time on THEIR stuff.
Debugging other manufacturer's software and hardware is on the road
that leads to commercial failure.  The street sign on that road is
"NOBODY WINS LANE".

73, Guy.

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 10:05 AM, Richard Squire - HB9ANM
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Guy and Ralph
>
> Yesterday, I sent an e-mail to Gary at Elecraft support with that very same
> question...
> I am using a Unified Microsystems BCD-10 band decoder which has
> opto-isolated inputs so it should not be a problem. I don't know W9XT's Top
> Ten configuration though...
> Let's see what Gary says – will forward his answer to you.
> My K3 S/N 586 has the new KIO3 with the pull-up resistors and it works
> flawlessly with the decoder.
>
> 73
> Richard - HB9ANM
>
> Guy, K2AV wrote:
>>

>> It will be easier to do the isolation to start with than figure out
>> the facts of your particular combo, particularly since the most likely
>> outcome is that you need to do the isolation.
>>
>> 73, Guy.
>>
>>> The question, should anyone venture an educated guess:
>>> Can I drive the KPA500's AUX input in parallel with my existing decoder
>>> using a Y cord, or should I isolate the K3 from both the KPA500 and W9XT
>>> with diodes?
>>>
>>> Ralph, VE7XF

>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

> -----
> Richard - HB9ANM

Re: KPA500 AUX input

Jack Brindle
Phil is essentially correct. It should work just fine.

The KPA500 has protective diodes on its band inputs to eliminate
potential problems with external devices supplying power into the
KPA's microcontroller when it is powered off. These diodes will also
block the KPA's +5V from getting out.

I haven't tried it, but I would expect that an unmodified original K3
would work just fine with the KPA in this situation. The required
pullups are on the the KPA side, and you indicate that the W9XT device
has its own pullups, so the requisite logic states for all devices
should be in great shape.

One word of caution: if the pullups in the decoder go to any voltage
higher than +5V, be sure to add protective schottky diodes in the
decoder. This might be a good idea anyway in case you add additional
devices. 1N5711 diodes will work just fine. Cathode towards the K3,
Anode towards the internal decoder logic.

Jack Brindle, W6FB

On Apr 25, 2011, at 8:58 AM, Phil & Debbie Salas wrote:

> The KPA500 Band Data inputs do require the pull-up resistor mod on
> the K3.
> However, if your Top Ten decoder has pull-ups to 5VDC, then you
> should be
> able to use the Top Ten as your pull-up source as long as the Top
> Ten is
> turned on (if the Top Ten is off, then there will be no pull-up and
> the
> KPA500 won't respond to the K3 band data input without the K3 pull-
> up mod).
> You'll need a true DB15HD splitter cable so as to connect both in
> parallel.
> The only reason to diode-isolate the Top Ten is if the Top Ten loads
> down
> the band data output from the K3 when the Top Ten is turned off (I
> don't
> know if this is the case).
>
> Phil - AD5X
>
> "... I currently use the AUX output from the K3 to drive my 'Top
> Ten' type
> band decoder (actually, it's a W9XT) to drive the antenna selection
> relays.
> Having an early K3, the pull-up resistors are in the decoder, not
> the K3.
>
> The question, should anyone venture an educated guess: Can I drive the
> KPA500's AUX input in parallel with my existing decoder using a Y
> cord, or
> should I isolate the K3 from both the KPA500 and W9XT with diodes?
> Ralph,
> VE7XF"

Re: KPA500 AUX input

Jack Brindle
Oops. I need to correct one thing. The +5V from the KPA can be
transferred out. The diodes allow voltage out, but not in. Thus you
may see +5V at the band data inputs.

If the possibility exists for "accidental powering" of other devices
on the bused connection, then appropriate measures should be taken as
described in the last paragraph of my email. Usually this is not the
case - I doubt the W9XT decoder will see these kinds of problems.

Jack Brindle, W6FB