KPA500 Assembly Question

Jim Bennett
I Just started assembling my KPA500 serial number 0585 this evening. All was going OK until I got to the point where I mount the Z-bracket to the PA/LPF heat sink. The book sez to use 4-40 5/16" black flat head screws. Using this size screw does NOT pull the Z-bracket tight against the heat sink. I've measured these screws three times and I am certain I'm using 5/16" screws. If I use a 3/16" screw, it works fine. Also, I have verified that I've positioned the PA/LPF properly. So, is the documentation wrong, or is this Z-bracket supposed to be wobbly and not tight against the heat sink?

Thanks, Jim / W6JHB

Re: KPA500 Assembly Question

Robert Dorchuck W6VY
I had the same problem (and I think several others have also).  Gary told me to use the shorter screws so it would be snug.  They really need 1/4"  screws or deeper holes.  Mine was serial 370.

Bob  W6VY

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2011 01:31:28 -0800
From: Jim Bennett <[hidden email]>
Subject: [Elecraft] KPA500 Assembly Question
To: [hidden email]

I Just started assembling my KPA500 serial number 0585 this evening. All was going OK until I got to the point where I mount the Z-bracket to the PA/LPF heat sink. The book sez to use 4-40 5/16" black flat head screws. Using this size screw does NOT pull the Z-bracket tight against the heat sink. I've measured these screws three times and I am certain I'm using 5/16" screws. If I use a 3/16" screw, it works fine. Also, I have verified that I've positioned the PA/LPF properly. So, is the documentation wrong, or is this Z-bracket supposed to be wobbly and not tight against the heat sink?

Thanks, Jim / W6JHB

Re: KPA500 Assembly Question

Dave Johnson
The assembly manual is wrong, I notified Elecraft a few days ago of the
same issue. You should fnd there are enough smaller screws to not run short
when you use them for the Z bracket to heatsink assembly.

73  Dave, G4AON
KPA500 #573

Re: KPA500 Assembly Question

Jim Bennett
Sorry about this, guys - this post went out days and days ago - why it is just now showing up is beyond me.. AND, the problem is fixed.