KPA500 Heat when powered off

Ron Durie SIL.org
I noticed when I covered my KPA500 with a towel, the next morning It feels
slightly warm on the bottom and top over the Transformer.
I thought that was curious since it had been off all night.

I turned the power switch off on the rear panel and the heat went totally away.

I wondered if there are circuits running even with the front panel power switch
off.

I checked the schematics and T3; BRIDGE; U2; U1; U4; and other circuits are live
with the front panel power switch off.
This is normal and to be expected given the design.

I have concluded that the switch on the rear panel is important for removing
power totally from the KPA500.
This is good to know when there are storms in the area, etc.

73's  Ron Durie
[hidden email]
www.durie.us

Re: KPA500 Heat when powered off

Don Wilhelm-4
Ron,

The KPA500 has a POWER ON/OFF input.  In order for that to function,
there must be some part of the KPA500 active, and those active circuits
will generate some heat, however slight that may be.  Your towel
concentrated that heat and made it obvious.  If you were to cover your
"instant-on by remote" TV in the same manner, you would see the same
effect - something has to be running to obtain that "on by remote"
function, and that will generate some heat.  Yes, the rear panel switch
turns all of those circuits off (but you cannot turn it on remotely).

On 7/30/2011 8:51 PM, Ron Durie SIL.org wrote:

> I noticed when I covered my KPA500 with a towel, the next morning It feels
> slightly warm on the bottom and top over the Transformer.
> I thought that was curious since it had been off all night.
>
> I turned the power switch off on the rear panel and the heat went totally away.
>
> I wondered if there are circuits running even with the front panel power switch
> off.
>
> I checked the schematics and T3; BRIDGE; U2; U1; U4; and other circuits are live
> with the front panel power switch off.
> This is normal and to be expected given the design.
>
> I have concluded that the switch on the rear panel is important for removing
> power totally from the KPA500.
> This is good to know when there are storms in the area, etc.

Re: KPA500 Heat when powered off

Ron Durie SIL.org
Thanks Don,
That helps to further explain the design criteria and makes perfect sense.

Ron Durie
IT BUYER JAARS INC
704-843-6011