KPA500/KAT500

Kjeld Holm
Dear All,

One of those "stupid" questions but I ask it anyway. I think the answer is
Yes but I would like to be sure before deciding on what equipment to save up
for.

If/when I get my KPA500/KAT500 and need to switch between more antennas than
the KPA500/KAT500 has connectors for then the KPA500/KAT500 will see two or
more different antennas at the same connector at different points in time.
The different antennas could for different bands or for the same band.

How will  the tuner react? Will I have to retune every time I switch from
antenna to another on the same connector?

Best regards

OZ1CCM, Kjeld

Re: KPA500/KAT500

Don Wilhelm-4
Kjeld,

I would think the KAT500 will behave similar to the KAT3 (or the K2
equivalent the KAT100).
So the answer would be YES.
The tuning is remember per band (band segment) and per antenna connector.
On any one band, if you change the antenna associated with a particular
connector, then the tuning will be different (unless both antenna
present exactly the same impedance).

For resonant antennas, there should also be the BYPASS, which would
allow the use of one resonant antenna while leaving the tuned settings
in place for another non-resonant antenna.  On the K3, it is easy to
switch between BYPASS and non-bypass.

On 8/19/2011 7:38 AM, Kjeld Holm wrote:

> Dear All,
>

> One of those "stupid" questions but I ask it anyway. I think the answer is
> Yes but I would like to be sure before deciding on what equipment to save up
> for.
>

> If/when I get my KPA500/KAT500 and need to switch between more antennas than
> the KPA500/KAT500 has connectors for then the KPA500/KAT500 will see two or
> more different antennas at the same connector at different points in time.
> The different antennas could for different bands or for the same band.
>

> How will  the tuner react? Will I have to retune every time I switch from
> antenna to another on the same connector?
>

> Best regards
>
> OZ1CCM, Kjeld

Re: KPA500/KAT500

Phil Salas
"I would think the KAT500 will behave similar to the KAT3 (or the K2
equivalent the KAT100).  So the answer would be YES.
The tuning is remember per band (band segment) and per antenna connector.
On any one band, if you change the antenna associated with a particular
connector, then the tuning will be different (unless both antenna
present exactly the same impedance)."

My MFJ-998 has four memory banks per connector (two output connectors).  By
tapping the ANT button, you select ANT1 or ANT2 outputs.  If you press and
hold, you then cycle through the four  memory banks on the given antenna
connector.

Phil - AD5X