KPA500 - KPA-500 and the KPAK3AUX Cable - lessons learned

KPA500 - KPA-500 and the KPAK3AUX Cable - lessons learned

ARRL - N6MQL
Pete,

If you like, I can make you up some professionally made, Molded Double Shielded (braid&  foil) Dual Ferrite cables of almost ANY common (3', 6', 10' 25' etc) length to suite your shack configuration.  If you've already resolved the problem, and are happy with where your equipment is placed, than I will be happy to extend (no pun intended) the opportunity to anyone else that's interested in buying a longer KPAK3AUX cable (with or without the Y adapter for SteppIR Boxes etc).  Feel free to Email me off the reflector for more information.  73,
Michael Aretsky
N6MQL
[hidden email]

"I know the instructions for the KPA-500 say not to use a standard SVGA
cable.  The special KPAK3AUX cable is the way to go.  But that cable is too
short for the arrangement I had for my station so I thought I could use a
standard SVGA expansion cable (female connector on one end, male on the
other).
What I didn't fully digest is that the wiring is incompatible!  I thought
the difference was merely the removal of a few pins from a standard SVGA
cable.
Nope, that doesn't work!  So if your station requires a longer cable than
the KPAK3AUX you can either purchase two cables and put them in series or
you can make up your own.  Don't use a standard SVGA cable at all.
In my case, I just rearranged the equipment.

Pete, W1RM"

Re: KPA500 - KPA-500 and the KPAK3AUX Cable - lessons learned

Andy Faber
Pete,
  In my experience, a standard extension cable does work, provided all 15
pins are connected through. Cables marketed as VGA extender cables, however,
often don't have all 15 pins connected.
  The Elecraft cable doesn't either, but they are a different set.  Using a
normal extension cable with all pins connected does have the consequence
that the KPA turns on automatically when the K3 turns on, but then cannot be
turned off with the front panel switch unless the K3 is turned off.  That
may or may not be thought of as desirable behavior.
  73, andy ae6y