[KPA500] KPA500 questions

Phil Hystad-3
Finally I am getting around to seriously consider getting the KPA500.  But, a couple of questions:

(1)  How long is the KPAK3AUX cable?  From one diagram (image) on the web site it does not look much longer then 1.5 feet.  Is the short length required for timing issues?  With the way my shack is set up right now, I could not place the KPA500 right next to the K3.

(2)  The difference in cost from kit to factory built is $400.  Does this rather high cost reflect the complexity of the "building" process or merely the cost of the amp (at $2000).  I did the K3 build in what I would consider average time of about 8 hours.  How does the KPA500 compare to the K3 in complexity and build time.

(3)  The PC serial interface is direct to the PC (Mac in my case) via a serial to USB cable, correct?  I mean, it does not interact with other equipment (serially connected) such as the K3 or P3, true?

Thanks for your help.

73, phil, K7PEH

Re: [KPA500] KPA500 questions

Dick Dievendorff
1) The KPAK3AUX cable is one meter long.  There are no special timing
requirements that require it to be that short. If you want a longer cable,
be sure to start with a cable that has all 15 pins connected "straight
through", not an SVGA extension cable that omits some pins and internally
bridges others together.
2) It takes most users about 4 hours to build the amplifier. There aren't as
many steps as the K3. It's not particularly complex, but the tasks are
different. It might help to review the assembly manual to see what's
involved.
3) The PC interface is direct to the KPA500. It is not daisy chained with
other equipment (K3 and/or P3).  I use an ABCD switch box to direct my
single USB to Serial adapter to K3/P3, or KPA500, or W2/XG3 serial data
cable. The serial interface is required for KPA500 firmware load,
configuration save/restore, fault table display, and it may be used to
remotely operate the KPA500 (using the KPA Utility or some other remote
control program).

73 de Dick, K6KR

Re: [KPA500] KPA500 questions

Phil Hystad-3
Dick,

Thanks for the quick response and also thanks to Jim and Dave who answered off the list.

Questions answered.

phil

On Dec 28, 2011, at 9:42 AM, Dick Dievendorff wrote:

> 1) The KPAK3AUX cable is one meter long.  There are no special timing
> requirements that require it to be that short. If you want a longer cable,
> be sure to start with a cable that has all 15 pins connected "straight
> through", not an SVGA extension cable that omits some pins and internally
> bridges others together.
> 2) It takes most users about 4 hours to build the amplifier. There aren't as
> many steps as the K3. It's not particularly complex, but the tasks are
> different. It might help to review the assembly manual to see what's
> involved.
> 3) The PC interface is direct to the KPA500. It is not daisy chained with
> other equipment (K3 and/or P3).  I use an ABCD switch box to direct my
> single USB to Serial adapter to K3/P3, or KPA500, or W2/XG3 serial data
> cable. The serial interface is required for KPA500 firmware load,
> configuration save/restore, fault table display, and it may be used to
> remotely operate the KPA500 (using the KPA Utility or some other remote
> control program).
>
> 73 de Dick, K6KR

Re: [KPA500] KPA500 questions

Tony Estep
On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 11:33 AM, Phil Hystad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ...The difference in cost from kit to factory built is $400.  Does this rather high cost reflect the complexity of the "building" process...
=====
I'd say get the kit, Phil. You can build it between dinner and
bedtime, and it's fun. And of course then you'll know all about its
innards -- not to mention saving 400 bux.

73,
Tony KT0NY

--
http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352