KPA500 Oper/Stby beep

mike
I am not finding where to turn off the beep that sounds when changing the KPA500 status from standby to operate (and back). Sometimes it gets very 'buzzy' sounding and a I would like to just turn it off. Anyone else have this happen?

..mike AI6II

Re: KPA500 Oper/Stby beep

Jack Brindle
Are you sure this is coming from the KPA500?

The only beep the KPA500 emits is when a hard fault occurs.

Jack Brindle, W6FB
Elecraft Engineering

On Jul 2, 2011, at 9:05 AM, ai6ii wrote:

> I am not finding where to turn off the beep that sounds when changing the
> KPA500 status from standby to operate (and back). Sometimes it gets very
> 'buzzy' sounding and a I would like to just turn it off. Anyone else have
> this happen?
>
> ..mike AI6II

Re: KPA500 Oper/Stby beep

mike
I guess I did not describe it well. I am listening to the K3 audio. The K3 is connected to the KPA500 via the Elecraft Auxbus cable. When I hit the Oper/Stby button on the KPA500 to toggle on or off, I hear a tone. Usually it is a clear bell like tone. Sometimes that tone gets very 'buzzy' sounding although I cannot tell you when or how at this point. If the tone comes from the K3, as I most likely does, I want to turn it off. Since it is initiated by the button on the KPA500, I wondered if that was where I would make the change. I have already set the SW Tone to Off on the K3 configuration, but it does not effect the KPA500 Oper/Stby tone.

It might be better to try and find out what causes the 'buzzy' sound, but for now I would be happy just to eliminate the beep's initiation.

..mike AI6II
Jack Brindle wrote
Are you sure this is coming from the KPA500?

The only beep the KPA500 emits is when a hard fault occurs.

Jack Brindle, W6FB
Elecraft Engineering

On Jul 2, 2011, at 9:05 AM, ai6ii wrote:

> I am not finding where to turn off the beep that sounds when changing the
> KPA500 status from standby to operate (and back). Sometimes it gets very
> 'buzzy' sounding and a I would like to just turn it off. Anyone else have
> this happen?
>
> ..mike AI6II

Re: KPA500 Oper/Stby beep

mike
Hookay, I figured out what I am responding to. It turns out the 'buzzy' beep only happens when the K3 is in SSB mode (not a mode I use all that often) and Noise Reduction is on. It almost sounds like an overloaded audio circuit, or maybe like the trailing hash that you see/hear in the movies when the police officer un-keys his mic..."that's roger, over.. kesssssh!" Unpleasant to hear, but not more than an annoyance. I still would like to silence the beep when I switch the Oper/Stby button on the KPA500. Is there a way?
.. mike AI6II