KPA500 Running Hot?

N4CW
When I operated the OL-OK RTTY DX contest, I ran the KPA at 300 Watts
output. The fan would generally
go up three steps when I was running 'em, and the temperature got into the
60's. The fan was a little loud, but tolerable with earphones on. But
today, I  had occasion to need the amp to complete a QSO with a DX station on 20.
I ran  150 Watts output and my transmissions were no more than 3 minutes
long. Yet,  every time I was transmitting a minute or so, the fan would kick
in, and it  stepped up three or four times by the time I was finsished. Now
THAT was loud!  Plus, the top rear of the amp was quite warm. Exhaust from
the fan was warm,  too!

I didn't have the presence of mind to check the temperature today.

Any ideas? Has anybody else had this experience?

Bert, N4CW