KPA500 Serial# 443 ON THE AIR

Jim Sheldon
After returning from the Wichita hamfest, I cleared the desk and made a place for the KPA500.  It's now up and running.  First QSO was on 20 meter RTTY, 500 watts out into my Cushcraft A3S which is nicely resonant on 20, 15 and 10 so the KAT500 wasn't necessary.  I also found that my fan dipole for 40, 30 and 17 meters is also resonant 40 and 17.  No need for the amp on 30 with the 200 watt limit there.  My big Butternut vertical is resonant right at 1825 on 160, and gives me about 10 KHz (5 either side) before it goes into high SWR alarm.  It gives me about 30 KHz on 80 where it's set up for the bottom end and it actually covers the whole 40 meter band while staying within 1.5:1.  I still want the auto tuner, but I'm close enough on all bands that I can wait for it. LOL!

Jim - W0EB

PS, there was a tremendous amount of interest in the KPA500.  Fun to watch 'em jump back when they grabbed the key (without asking) and with the K3 in test mode and the KPA500 in demo mode (I didn't even have any RF cable from the K3 to the amp so no possibility of a problem) and the amp showed 500 watts out and a 1:1 SWR.  They all though they had just keyed up on top of the CW station I had tuned in.  They didn't want to believe that the amp was just "Faking It".