KPA500 and KAT500 Ports

WD6DBM
Elecrafters, Hear My Plea:

The K3 has two tx antenna ports available.  It seems logical to me that the KPA500 would have two (output) as well. But it doesn't. I would like to see the KAT500 have two antenna ports (unbalanced) to make up for this. Running the 6m output to another coax makes sense--most (all?) band decoders and relay boxes don't handle 6m, and the lack of a second output port on the KPA500 makes it difficult to manage the 6m capability of the K3 cleanly.  The KRC2 will handle the band data, but does not have a compatible relay box, manual operation, or lights to tell you what it is doing.

Right now my K3 sends HF to ANT1, that goes to an HF amp and to a TopTen band decoder and relay box. Six meters goes to ANT2 and a separate 6m amp and 6m antenna.

This gives me fully auto bandswitching on HF and 6m, save for 60m where the TopTen decoder does not recognize 0000 as a valid address.

With my already ordered KPA500
(selling both tube amps), I will have to manually switch 6m. I don't like this not because I am lazy, but the older I get the more stoopid I get and its just a matter of time before I tx into a near-infinite SWR. Knowing me, I'll do it repeatedly until something blows. Maybe multiple somethings.

I'll have to rely on the KPA500 and K3 saving themselves.  Not good.

In my squandered pre-K3 life, i put key lockout relays and a sequencer for 2m EME in my system to make it failsafe and STILL blowed up the masthead preamp more times than I can count.

In my opinion, the KAT500 needs two unbalanced outputs, bandmapped,  for nice tight integration with the K3, to keep things as elegant as possible. I have no opinion on balanced output(s).

No flames please. This is just my opinion--I could be wrong.

73 Eric WD6DBM

K1, KX1, K2, K3, P3, XG3, all mini modules, Elecraft Kool-Aid I-V push STAT!

KPA500 still a mere glimmer at Elecraft

Sent from my &$@!? iPhone

Re: KPA500 and KAT500 Ports

Cookie
You know that Ameritron, Array Solutions and some others have remote antenna
switches available at reasonable prices.  Since these things take space, it is
nice that they can be remote mounted, even outside in some cases.  It seems a
better solution to me than to add a kilobuck to the KPA500 price and make it the
size of a small refrigerator when the requirements vary from person to person
and the chance of pleasing more than a small portion of the users is small.  I
prefer the small box that is possible to take on a DXpedition or to Field Day
and just endure the horrible pain of changing the coax when you change bands.
The main thing that discourages me from buying an eight pack from Array is that
I don't have enough antennas to keep it from being lonesome.

 Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ & Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart

________________________________

Re: KPA500 and KAT500 Ports

alsopb
The other thing that seems to be missing.  The K3 ought to be switching
the antenna switchbox, not the computer or some other device.

The reason is obvious, the proper antenna will always be connected
quickly.  The same cannot be said for other approaches.

I used to use computer switching with a transceiver that had no BCD
output via a logging program.  Pouncing on a spot and transmitting often
resulted in the wrong antenna still being attached and then hot
switching of the correct on in line.  Not nice with an amp attached.

If some other slower device has to be used, some kind of inhibit signal
should be applied to the K3 until switching or switching + tuning is
complete.

73 de Brian/K3KO

On 7/12/2011 15:01, WILLIS COOKE wrote:

> You know that Ameritron, Array Solutions and some others have remote antenna
> switches available at reasonable prices.  Since these things take space, it is
> nice that they can be remote mounted, even outside in some cases.  It seems a
> better solution to me than to add a kilobuck to the KPA500 price and make it the
> size of a small refrigerator when the requirements vary from person to person
> and the chance of pleasing more than a small portion of the users is small.  I
> prefer the small box that is possible to take on a DXpedition or to Field Day
> and just endure the horrible pain of changing the coax when you change bands.
> The main thing that discourages me from buying an eight pack from Array is that
> I don't have enough antennas to keep it from being lonesome.
>
>   Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
> K5EWJ&  Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: KPA500 and KAT500 Ports

George Danner
I was under the impression that the KAT500's form factor was P3 size.
Since I already have antenna switching the way it needs to be with still
about 30% growth built in, I would prefer the tuner be small enough to
"stack" onto my P3.
I doubt that could happen if it included a high power RF routing system.

George
AI4VZ

. . . . better solution to me than to add a kilobuck to the KPA500 price and
make it the
size of a small refrigerator . . .

Re: KPA500 and KAT500 Ports

Phil Salas
"The other thing that seems to be missing.  The K3 ought to be switching
the antenna switchbox, not the computer or some other device.  The reason is
obvious, the proper antenna will always be connected quickly.  The same
cannot be said for other approaches."

Take a look at the Ameritron RCS-12C controller (see the "Reviews" section
at www.ad5x.com).  This is very easy to program, handles up to 8 different
antennas, and you can even program multiple antennas on each band (it
remembers the last antenna used on each band).  It reads the BCD data from
the K3 (I documented a K3 cable in my review).

Phil - AD5X

Re: KPA500 and KAT500 Ports

Eric NO3M
Another very reasonable switch for the "kit" builder:
http://home.comcast.net/~kk1l/kk1l_2x6switch/

I trunk three of those from an old Sixpack for up to 18 antennas
(still have 4 unused slots!) and they've worked flawlessly.
Total cost of PCB, parts, and LMB Heeger aluminum box was perhaps
around $145.

- eric NO3M

On 07/12/11 11:01, WILLIS COOKE wrote:

> You know that Ameritron, Array Solutions and some others have remote antenna
> switches available at reasonable prices.  Since these things take space, it is
> nice that they can be remote mounted, even outside in some cases.  It seems a
> better solution to me than to add a kilobuck to the KPA500 price and make it the
> size of a small refrigerator when the requirements vary from person to person
> and the chance of pleasing more than a small portion of the users is small.  I
> prefer the small box that is possible to take on a DXpedition or to Field Day
> and just endure the horrible pain of changing the coax when you change bands.
> The main thing that discourages me from buying an eight pack from Array is that
> I don't have enough antennas to keep it from being lonesome.
>
>   Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
> K5EWJ&  Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart
>

> ________________________________

Re: KPA500 and KAT500 Ports

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

 > It reads the BCD data from the K3 (I documented a K3 cable in my
 > review).

Of course it doesn't appear to work in parallel with the KPA-500
(both devices connected to the BCD data on the K3) according to early
reports on one of the Elecraft lists.  I suspect that's because of
different voltage and logic levels ...

Both the Elecraft KRC-2 and microHAM Station Master work just fine to
control any of the commonly available remote antenna switches - with
all modern radios and amplifiers.

Station Master can even provide "in band" switching (switch taps on
a vertical matching network or loaded yagi) and amplifier PTT delays
for transceivers like some Icom models that drop PTT while still
making RF.

73,

    ... Joe Subich, W4TV
        microHAM America, LLC.
        http://www.microHAM-USA.com

On 7/12/2011 11:29 AM, Phil & Debbie Salas wrote:

> "The other thing that seems to be missing.  The K3 ought to be switching
> the antenna switchbox, not the computer or some other device.  The reason is
> obvious, the proper antenna will always be connected quickly.  The same
> cannot be said for other approaches."
>
> Take a look at the Ameritron RCS-12C controller (see the "Reviews" section
> at www.ad5x.com).  This is very easy to program, handles up to 8 different
> antennas, and you can even program multiple antennas on each band (it
> remembers the last antenna used on each band).  It reads the BCD data from
> the K3 (I documented a K3 cable in my review).
>
> Phil - AD5X

KPA500 and KAT500 Ports

Johnny Siu
Hello Eric and others,

Business is business.  While KPA500+KAT500 should first look after the elecrafters, they should be designed in a way to attract other non-elecraft radio users.  In the circumstances,  2 exciters input + some 2-3 antenna outputs in KAT500 should be attractive enough to many radio users. Or, I would say this requirement is simply basic and has already been available for other reputable linear amplifiers.

If so unfortunate that KAT500 only has one RF input + one antenna output, I am afraid that I have to consider other alternatives.

I can add whatever after market switches to provide the extra antenna selection.  However, it is just simply not convenient and another mess of cabling around the shack.

TNX & 73,

Johnny VR2XMC

從︰ Eric Tichansky NO3M <[hidden email]>
收件人︰ [hidden email]
傳送日期︰ 2011年07月13日 (週三) 12:04 AM
主題︰ Re: [Elecraft] KPA500 and KAT500 Ports

Another very reasonable switch for the "kit" builder:
http://home.comcast.net/~kk1l/kk1l_2x6switch/

I trunk three of those from an old Sixpack for up to 18 antennas
(still have 4 unused slots!) and they've worked flawlessly.
Total cost of PCB, parts, and LMB Heeger aluminum box was perhaps
around $145.

- eric NO3M

On 07/12/11 11:01, WILLIS COOKE wrote:

> You know that Ameritron, Array Solutions and some others have remote antenna
> switches available at reasonable prices.  Since these things take space, it is
> nice that they can be remote mounted, even outside in some cases.  It seems a
> better solution to me than to add a kilobuck to the KPA500 price and make it the
> size of a small refrigerator when the requirements vary from person to person
> and the chance of pleasing more than a small portion of the users is small.  I
> prefer the small box that is possible to take on a DXpedition or to Field Day
> and just endure the horrible pain of changing the coax when you change bands.
> The main thing that discourages me from buying an eight pack from Array is that
> I don't have enough antennas to keep it from being lonesome.
>
>  Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
> K5EWJ&  Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart
>

> ________________________________

Re: KPA500 and KAT500 Ports

Dick Dickinson
It's been said that the KPA500 might be either desktop or remote.

If this is the case, I would suppose a similar, add-on antenna switch could
be offered.

73,

Dick - KA5KKT

  _____

The other thing that seems to be missing.  The K3 ought to be switching

the antenna switchbox, not the computer or some other device.

The reason is obvious, the proper antenna will always be connected

quickly.  The same cannot be said for other approaches.

I used to use computer switching with a transceiver that had no BCD

output via a logging program.  Pouncing on a spot and transmitting often

resulted in the wrong antenna still being attached and then hot

switching of the correct on in line.  Not nice with an amp attached.

If some other slower device has to be used, some kind of inhibit signal

should be applied to the K3 until switching or switching + tuning is

complete.

73 de Brian/K3KO

Re: KPA500 and KAT500 Ports

Brendan Minish
Every time this comes up everyone seems to forget about the KRC2, it
speaks auxbus leaving the BCD outputs available for other things and is
a very flexible device
It does need 6m support to be properly sorted out but other than that it
does a superb job of controlling just about any remote antenna switch
you can come up with.

On Tue, 2011-07-12 at 12:30 -0400, Edward Dickinson III wrote:

> It's been said that the KPA500 might be either desktop or remote.
>

> If this is the case, I would suppose a similar, add-on antenna switch could
> be offered.
>

> 73,
>
> Dick - KA5KKT
>

>   _____
>
> The other thing that seems to be missing.  The K3 ought to be switching
>
> the antenna switchbox, not the computer or some other device.
>

> The reason is obvious, the proper antenna will always be connected
>
> quickly.  The same cannot be said for other approaches.
>

> I used to use computer switching with a transceiver that had no BCD
>
> output via a logging program.  Pouncing on a spot and transmitting often
>
> resulted in the wrong antenna still being attached and then hot
>
> switching of the correct on in line.  Not nice with an amp attached.
>

> If some other slower device has to be used, some kind of inhibit signal
>
> should be applied to the K3 until switching or switching + tuning is
>
> complete.
>

> 73 de Brian/K3KO

Brendan EI6IZ

Re: KPA500 and KAT500 Ports

Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy
IMHO it is a pity that the KPA500 does not have two output ports (well
isolated), one to connect to an antenna, or a remote ATU, and /or antenna
selector switches -  the second output port to connect to a dummy load.  I
have been considering various linears capable of 500W - 1KW for use in the
not too distant future.

Over the years I have found it very useful to be able to switch on the fly
the output of a linear (and of an exciter) to a dummy load as a check should
some gremlin appear during the heat of battle.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD

Re: KPA500 and KAT500 Ports

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
The KAT500 as designed currently has two antenna outputs. The second one
can be configured as balanced or unbalanced.

More as we get closer to release.

73, Eric

---
www.elecraft.com

On 7/12/2011 9:24 AM, Johnny Siu wrote:

> Hello Eric and others,
>
> Business is business.  While KPA500+KAT500 should first look after the elecrafters, they should be designed in a way to attract other non-elecraft radio users.  In the circumstances,  2 exciters input + some 2-3 antenna outputs in KAT500 should be attractive enough to many radio users. Or, I would say this requirement is simply basic and has already been available for other reputable linear amplifiers.
>
> If so unfortunate that KAT500 only has one RF input + one antenna output, I am afraid that I have to consider other alternatives.
>
> I can add whatever after market switches to provide the extra antenna selection.  However, it is just simply not convenient and another mess of cabling around the shack.
>
> TNX&  73,
>

> Johnny VR2XMC
>
> 從︰ Eric Tichansky NO3M<[hidden email]>
> 收件人︰ [hidden email]
> 傳送日期︰ 2011年07月13日 (週三) 12:04 AM
> 主題︰ Re: [Elecraft] KPA500 and KAT500 Ports
>
> Another very reasonable switch for the "kit" builder:
> http://home.comcast.net/~kk1l/kk1l_2x6switch/
>
> I trunk three of those from an old Sixpack for up to 18 antennas
> (still have 4 unused slots!) and they've worked flawlessly.
> Total cost of PCB, parts, and LMB Heeger aluminum box was perhaps
> around $145.
>
> - eric NO3M
>
> On 07/12/11 11:01, WILLIS COOKE wrote:
>> You know that Ameritron, Array Solutions and some others have remote antenna
>> switches available at reasonable prices.  Since these things take space, it is
>> nice that they can be remote mounted, even outside in some cases.  It seems a
>> better solution to me than to add a kilobuck to the KPA500 price and make it the
>> size of a small refrigerator when the requirements vary from person to person
>> and the chance of pleasing more than a small portion of the users is small.  I
>> prefer the small box that is possible to take on a DXpedition or to Field Day
>> and just endure the horrible pain of changing the coax when you change bands.
>> The main thing that discourages me from buying an eight pack from Array is that
>> I don't have enough antennas to keep it from being lonesome.
>>
>>    Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
>> K5EWJ&   Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart
>>

>> ________________________________

Re: KPA500 and KAT500 Ports

Gary Gregory
Well I don't know too many hams with only two or less antennas. Reading
Eric's response it appears as though the KAT-500 will NOT do the job for me
and I have wasted 6 months waiting time. I was lead to believe the KAT-500
would have 3 antenna outputs minimum.

I guess not everyone is in the loop.

Gary

On 13 July 2011 04:31, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft <[hidden email]>wrote:

> The KAT500 as designed currently has two antenna outputs. The second one
> can be configured as balanced or unbalanced.
>
> More as we get closer to release.
>
> 73, Eric
>
> ---
> www.elecraft.com
>

> On 7/12/2011 9:24 AM, Johnny Siu wrote:
> > Hello Eric and others,
> >
> > Business is business.  While KPA500+KAT500 should first look after the
> elecrafters, they should be designed in a way to attract other non-elecraft
> radio users.  In the circumstances,  2 exciters input + some 2-3 antenna
> outputs in KAT500 should be attractive enough to many radio users. Or, I
> would say this requirement is simply basic and has already been available
> for other reputable linear amplifiers.
> >
> > If so unfortunate that KAT500 only has one RF input + one antenna output,
> I am afraid that I have to consider other alternatives.
> >
> > I can add whatever after market switches to provide the extra antenna
> selection.  However, it is just simply not convenient and another mess of
> cabling around the shack.
> >
> > TNX&  73,
> >

> > Johnny VR2XMC
> >
> > 從︰ Eric Tichansky NO3M<[hidden email]>
> > 收件人︰ [hidden email]
> > 傳送日期︰ 2011年07月13日 (週三) 12:04 AM
> > 主題︰ Re: [Elecraft] KPA500 and KAT500 Ports
> >
> > Another very reasonable switch for the "kit" builder:
> > http://home.comcast.net/~kk1l/kk1l_2x6switch/
> >
> > I trunk three of those from an old Sixpack for up to 18 antennas
> > (still have 4 unused slots!) and they've worked flawlessly.
> > Total cost of PCB, parts, and LMB Heeger aluminum box was perhaps
> > around $145.
> >
> > - eric NO3M
> >
> > On 07/12/11 11:01, WILLIS COOKE wrote:
> >> You know that Ameritron, Array Solutions and some others have remote
> antenna
> >> switches available at reasonable prices.  Since these things take space,
> it is
> >> nice that they can be remote mounted, even outside in some cases.  It
> seems a
> >> better solution to me than to add a kilobuck to the KPA500 price and
> make it the
> >> size of a small refrigerator when the requirements vary from person to
> person
> >> and the chance of pleasing more than a small portion of the users is
> small.  I
> >> prefer the small box that is possible to take on a DXpedition or to
> Field Day
> >> and just endure the horrible pain of changing the coax when you change
> bands.
> >> The main thing that discourages me from buying an eight pack from Array
> is that
> >> I don't have enough antennas to keep it from being lonesome.
> >>
> >>    Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
> >> K5EWJ&   Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart
> >>

> >> ________________________________

VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment
K3 #679, KPA-500 #018
Living the dream!!!

Re: KPA500 and KAT500 Ports

chas
On 12/07/11 19:31, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:
> The KAT500 as designed currently has two antenna outputs. The second one
> can be configured as balanced or unbalanced.
>
> More as we get closer to release.

Eric, I guess that your last line meant more _information_ as we get
closer to release.
Unfortunately there is a small degree of ambiguity.
Some readers may be keen to interpret "more" as meaning more inputs/outputs.
I hope the reality is that we all know what you meant :-)

Charles - M0BIN

Re: KPA500 and KAT500 Ports

N7US
Maybe I'm atypical, but I only need one, as I use a remote switch on my
tower.

The extra three on my Alpha 9500 are wasted for me.

Jim N7US

Well I don't know too many hams with only two or less antennas. Reading
Eric's response it appears as though the KAT-500 will NOT do the job for me
and I have wasted 6 months waiting time. I was lead to believe the KAT-500
would have 3 antenna outputs minimum.

I guess not everyone is in the loop.

Gary

Re: KPA500 and KAT500 Ports

Gary Gregory
Jim,

I am a portable station and use three antennas,  a tri-band yagi, a double
extended zepp and a low band wire antenna that can vary depending on my
location. The KAT-500 in the remote version would have allowed me to mount
it in the trailer and have the feedlines terminated there.

I was told that the KAT-500 would handle 3 antennas, one of which could
handle a balanced feedline that appears to be not the case.

Whilst there are many options for remote antenna switching, I am portable so
to continue to add extra hardware becomes prohibitive.

The obvious solution for me is to look at hardware that will provide
multiple antennas, auto-tuning and 400+W output.....

Gary

On 13 July 2011 05:54, Jim McDonald <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maybe I'm atypical, but I only need one, as I use a remote switch on my
> tower.
>
> The extra three on my Alpha 9500 are wasted for me.
>
> Jim N7US

VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment
K3 #679, KPA-500 #018
Living the dream!!!

Re: KPA500 and KAT500 Ports

Dave Perry N4QS
I have four antennas but use a remote antenna switch at the tower.  This allows me to have one 300' run of heliax into the shack.  So I only need one antenna output at present.

If you already have three or more coax runs coming into the shack, check out the antenna switch from Top Ten Devices or similar products from other manufacturers.  They even offer a band decoder that will automatically switch to the correct antenna -- as do others.

Dave, N4QS

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

> [...]

> seems a
> >> better solution to me than to add a kilobuck to the KPA500 price and
> make it the
> >> size of a small refrigerator when the requirements vary from person to
> person
> >> and the chance of pleasing more than a small portion of the users is
> small.  I
> >> prefer the small box that is possible to take on a DXpedition or to
> Field Day
> >> and just endure the horrible pain of changing the coax when you change
> bands.
> >> The main thing that discourages me from buying an eight pack from Array
> is that
> >> I don't have enough antennas to keep it from being lonesome.
> >>
> >>    Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
> >> K5EWJ&   Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart

VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment
K3 #679, KPA-500 #018
Living the dream!!!

Re: KPA500 and KAT500 Ports

Phil LaMarche-2
I've had a DX Engineering remote switch mounted on the tower that has operated without failure for over 5 years.  One coax line into the shack to another switch that places the coax at the rig of choice.  Easy and a pleasure to operate.

Phil

Philip LaMarche

LaMarche Enterprises, Inc

[hidden email]
www.LaMarcheEnterprises.com

727-944-3226
727-937-8834 Fax
727-510-5038 Cell
 www.w9dvm.com
K3 # 1605
KPA500 # 029

 CCA 98-00827
CRA 1701
W9DVM

--

VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment

Re: KPA500 and KAT500 Ports

ab2tc
Hi,

One, two or three antenna outputs makes no difference to me either. I use an inexpensive 6-way MFJ switch remotely where the cables from my wire antennas come down in the woods behind the house and a single low-loss coax to the house. I currently use all 6 ports. The control is with a 100' CAT5 cable and a matvhing rotary switch also by MFJ. I don't mind the manual switching. Works for me and has at least 3 CNY winters on it. I am ooking forward to see the details on the KAT500.

AB2TC - Knut

Phil LaMarche-2 wrote
I've had a DX Engineering remote switch mounted on the tower that has operated without failure for over 5 years.  One coax line into the shack to another switch that places the coax at the rig of choice.  Easy and a pleasure to operate.

Phil

Philip LaMarche

LaMarche Enterprises, Inc

[hidden email]
www.LaMarcheEnterprises.com
<snip>

Re: KPA500 and KAT500 Ports

Craig Smith
I certainly understand the impracticality in terms of cost and size of designing the basic KAT500 with a large number of output ports.  My personal wish is that an optional external Elecraft unit will eventually be available that will allow for port expansion based on the user's desire for number and configuration.  It should be waterproof (or easily made so) and controlled by the same bus as the external KAT500.

73 Craig AC0DS