KPA500 audio muffled?

Joe Word
Chuck,

I had muffled audio reports while using a Tokyo Hi Power 1.2Kfx amp.
It has coming from RF getting into the amp. THP wrote it off, saying
nothing they could (would) do about it because I was on the second
floor. But... I now have a KPA-500 and have no problems on any band at
any power level.

Just a thought!

Joe  N9VX

I have gotten a few reports of sounding like my audio is muffled as compared
to running the K3 alone. It is true that with several listeners in different
states, there is not a consensus of opinion on that. Some of the guys think
it sounds just fine, and some say they can hear a slight muffled sound with
the KPA turned on. The point of comparing it to K3 only and K3 with KPA500
is that the mic is not in the equation. The report is clearly that the amp
sounds muffled. Not unreadable, just slightly muffled.
I have a bias current of 0.4A...about the only thing I can think of to
check. I think there was some discussion of setting the bias current here,
but I can't find it again. What is the range of bias current for best
linearity? I don't see any help in the manual.

-----
Chuck, KE9UW

Re: KPA500 audio muffled?

John Lemay
Chuck

I agree with Joe's diagnosis. Try an experiment:-

Run 100w from the K3 alone and get a report. Then turn back the power so
that K3 plus amplifier is producing 100w. See if the report is now OK, or
muffled.

If the report is OK, it could be RF feedback which only occurs at high
power. If the report is muffled you might have an amplifier problem.

John G4ZTR

database 6632 (20111115) __________

http://www.eset.com

database 6632 (20111115) __________