KPA500 cables needed

Randy Maurer
Need help!

I just finished my Elecraft KPA500. Went together like a charm, just like
the many Heathkits of my bygone era in amateur radio. Problem is I don't
have the eyesight to make up the connecting cables from the KPA500 to the
FT-897. Wrote Elecraft in the hopes someone had the foresight to offer
premade cables for the major brands out there. Got no reply as of yet?

I am more than willing to compensate someone to make me a couple of cables
so I have a spare.

Randy [hidden email]
Honorary Crewmember
USS Nimitz CVN-68

Re: KPA500 cables needed

Randy Maurer
http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/KPA500-cable-td6480957.html

Seems others are also looking for cables.....

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 7:35 PM, Randy Maurer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Need help!
>
> I just finished my Elecraft KPA500. Went together like a charm, just like
> the many Heathkits of my bygone era in amateur radio. Problem is I don't
> have the eyesight to make up the connecting cables from the KPA500 to the
> FT-897. Wrote Elecraft in the hopes someone had the foresight to offer
> premade cables for the major brands out there. Got no reply as of yet?
>
> I am more than willing to compensate someone to make me a couple of cables
> so I have a spare.
>
> Randy [hidden email]
> Honorary Crewmember
> USS Nimitz CVN-68

Re: KPA500 cables needed

Don Wilhelm-4
Randy,

Those posts are all looking for information about the KPA500 to K3 cable
- and that can be accommodated by purchasing the cable from Elecraft or
by building your own.

Your question involves a non-Elecraft transceiver, and those cables are
not sold by Elecraft - they might be in the future, but not at this
time.  You will either have to build one for your transceiver and KPA500
combo or have it built for you by someone who might volunteer.

You *can* operate with your transceiver without the cable.  Just connect
the KPA500 to your transceiver and connect a Key-out (transceiver) cable
to the KPA500 key-in.  The KPA500 will quickly detect the band and
switch accordingly.

On 8/9/2011 8:24 PM, Randy Maurer wrote:

> http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/KPA500-cable-td6480957.html
>
> Seems others are also looking for cables.....
>
> On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 7:35 PM, Randy Maurer<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Need help!
>>
>> I just finished my Elecraft KPA500. Went together like a charm, just like
>> the many Heathkits of my bygone era in amateur radio. Problem is I don't
>> have the eyesight to make up the connecting cables from the KPA500 to the
>> FT-897. Wrote Elecraft in the hopes someone had the foresight to offer
>> premade cables for the major brands out there. Got no reply as of yet?
>>
>> I am more than willing to compensate someone to make me a couple of cables
>> so I have a spare.
>>
>> Randy [hidden email]
>> Honorary Crewmember
>> USS Nimitz CVN-68

Re: KPA500 cables needed

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2
On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 12:57 AM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Randy,
>
> Those posts are all looking for information about the KPA500 to K3 cable
> - and that can be accommodated by purchasing the cable from Elecraft or
> by building your own.
>
> Your question involves a non-Elecraft transceiver, and those cables are
> not sold by Elecraft - they might be in the future, but not at this
> time.  You will either have to build one for your transceiver and KPA500
> combo or have it built for you by someone who might volunteer.
>
> You *can* operate with your transceiver without the cable.  Just connect
> the KPA500 to your transceiver and connect a Key-out (transceiver) cable
> to the KPA500 key-in.  The KPA500 will quickly detect the band and
> switch accordingly.

... except the FT897D probably doesn't have a convenient "key out"
jack - it's probably a pin on a mini-DIN connector, hence the need for
a special (fiddly to make) cable.

    ~iain / N6ML

Re: KPA500 cables needed

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
Also make sure the 897 keyout line is a relay or open collector
connection to ground during keying. Not something that provides a voltage.

73, Eric   WA6HHQ

---
www.elecraft.com

On 8/9/2011 6:10 PM, iain macdonnell - N6ML wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 12:57 AM, Don Wilhelm<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Randy,
>>
>> Those posts are all looking for information about the KPA500 to K3 cable
>> - and that can be accommodated by purchasing the cable from Elecraft or
>> by building your own.
>>
>> Your question involves a non-Elecraft transceiver, and those cables are
>> not sold by Elecraft - they might be in the future, but not at this
>> time.  You will either have to build one for your transceiver and KPA500
>> combo or have it built for you by someone who might volunteer.
>>
>> You *can* operate with your transceiver without the cable.  Just connect
>> the KPA500 to your transceiver and connect a Key-out (transceiver) cable
>> to the KPA500 key-in.  The KPA500 will quickly detect the band and
>> switch accordingly.
> ... except the FT897D probably doesn't have a convenient "key out"
> jack - it's probably a pin on a mini-DIN connector, hence the need for
> a special (fiddly to make) cable.
>
>      ~iain / N6ML

Re: KPA500 cables needed

Yaesu seems to do each transceiver model a bit differently, so a cable
that will work with one Yaesu, may not work with another, even if the
connector physically fits.

What more can I say than - know the characteristics and pinout of
whatever you are connecting to the KPA500.  It can work, but there is
not a universal cable for all.

On 8/9/2011 9:10 PM, iain macdonnell - N6ML wrote:

> You *can* operate with your transceiver without the cable.  Just connect
> the KPA500 to your transceiver and connect a Key-out (transceiver) cable
> to the KPA500 key-in.  The KPA500 will quickly detect the band and
> switch accordingly.
> ... except the FT897D probably doesn't have a convenient "key out"
> jack - it's probably a pin on a mini-DIN connector, hence the need for
> a special (fiddly to make) cable.
>
>      ~iain / N6ML

Re: KPA500 cables needed

Bob Nielsen-2
The FT-897 uses an 8-pin mini-Din for this purpose.  I recommend getting a prewired cable, cutting off one end and attaching a male RCA plug to the appropriate wires.  It's a lot easier than trying to solder wires to a mini-DIN.  I found this out when trying to rewire the microphone plug on a FT-430 many years ago.  Here's a suitable cable:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10215&cs_id=1021501&p_id=522&seq=1&format=2

Bob, N7XY

On Aug 9, 2011, at 6:10 PM, iain macdonnell - N6ML wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 12:57 AM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Randy,
>>
>> Those posts are all looking for information about the KPA500 to K3 cable
>> - and that can be accommodated by purchasing the cable from Elecraft or
>> by building your own.
>>
>> Your question involves a non-Elecraft transceiver, and those cables are
>> not sold by Elecraft - they might be in the future, but not at this
>> time.  You will either have to build one for your transceiver and KPA500
>> combo or have it built for you by someone who might volunteer.
>>
>> You *can* operate with your transceiver without the cable.  Just connect
>> the KPA500 to your transceiver and connect a Key-out (transceiver) cable
>> to the KPA500 key-in.  The KPA500 will quickly detect the band and
>> switch accordingly.
>
> ... except the FT897D probably doesn't have a convenient "key out"
> jack - it's probably a pin on a mini-DIN connector, hence the need for
> a special (fiddly to make) cable.
>
>    ~iain / N6ML

_____
N7XY DX Cluster Node - telnet to n7xy.net, port 7300

Re: KPA500 cables needed

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

The FT-817/857/897 can not provide BCD "band data" at the same time it
is being used with CAT (computer) control.  The same mini DIN8 jack is
used for both functions on a switchable basis.

*IF* you are willing to give up CAT, the connections are given in the
KPA-500 manual.  If you need CAT, you will need to use a mini DIN8 "Y"
cable to pull pin 2 (TX GND/PTT Out) and pin 3 (ground) for KPA PTT.
TX GND is an open collector signal.

The FT-897 has an "extra" TX GND signal on the tip of the ACC jack.
A cable with stereo 3.5mm plug to RCA plug can be used to connect
the ACC jack to the KPA PA Key jack ... an off the shelf 3.5mm stereo
to 2 x RCA cable can be used for ALC and PA Key if desired.

No connection is necessary to the KPA-500 AUX jack if RF sensing is
used for band switching.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 8/9/2011 9:53 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Yaesu seems to do each transceiver model a bit differently, so a cable
> that will work with one Yaesu, may not work with another, even if the
> connector physically fits.
>
> What more can I say than - know the characteristics and pinout of
> whatever you are connecting to the KPA500.  It can work, but there is
> not a universal cable for all.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 8/9/2011 9:10 PM, iain macdonnell - N6ML wrote:
>> You *can* operate with your transceiver without the cable.  Just connect
>> the KPA500 to your transceiver and connect a Key-out (transceiver) cable
>> to the KPA500 key-in.  The KPA500 will quickly detect the band and
>> switch accordingly.
>> ... except the FT897D probably doesn't have a convenient "key out"
>> jack - it's probably a pin on a mini-DIN connector, hence the need for
>> a special (fiddly to make) cable.
>>
>>       ~iain / N6ML

Re: KPA500 cables needed

Phil Salas
"The FT-897 has an "extra" TX GND signal on the tip of the ACC jack.
A cable with stereo 3.5mm plug to RCA plug can be used to connect
the ACC jack to the KPA PA Key jack ... an off the shelf 3.5mm stereo
to 2 x RCA cable can be used for ALC and PA Key if desired."

That ACC jack tip is for an INPUT to the FT-857/897.  I.e., grounding this
input puts the radio into a CW transmit mode for tuning an external tuner.
The ring is ALC.  You must use the miniDIN8 connector for amp keying.

Phil - AD5X

Re: KPA500 cables needed

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

> That ACC jack tip is for an INPUT to the FT-857/897. I.e., grounding
> this input puts the radio into a CW transmit mode for tuning an
> external tuner.

Not according to the FT-897 Operating Manual, page 18 (Rear Panel
Connections).  This may be yet another case of blatantly incorrect
data in Yaesu's manuals but I referred directly to the manual before
posting the information.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 8/10/2011 7:04 AM, Phil & Debbie Salas wrote:

> "The FT-897 has an "extra" TX GND signal on the tip of the ACC jack.
> A cable with stereo 3.5mm plug to RCA plug can be used to connect
> the ACC jack to the KPA PA Key jack ... an off the shelf 3.5mm stereo
> to 2 x RCA cable can be used for ALC and PA Key if desired."
>
> That ACC jack tip is for an INPUT to the FT-857/897.  I.e., grounding this
> input puts the radio into a CW transmit mode for tuning an external tuner.
> The ring is ALC.  You must use the miniDIN8 connector for amp keying.
>
> Phil - AD5X

Re: KPA500 cables needed

Phil Salas
I did get the tip and ring reversed.  I.e. TIP is ALC and RING is Tx Req.
However, the Tx Req IS an INPUT to the radio.  From the manual:

"This 3.5-mm 3-pin jack accepts external ALC (Automatic
Level Control) voltage from a linear amplifier on the tip
connection, and accepts a "Transmit Request" command
on the ring connection. The main shaft is the ground return.
The "TX Request" connection, when shorted to ground,
puts the FT-897D into the transmit mode, and sends out
a steady CW carrier, for linear amplifier or manual antenna
tuner adjustment."

Phil - AD5X

>> That ACC jack tip is for an INPUT to the FT-857/897. I.e., grounding
>> this input puts the radio into a CW transmit mode for tuning an
>> external tuner.
>
> Not according to the FT-897 Operating Manual, page 18 (Rear Panel
> Connections).  This may be yet another case of blatantly incorrect
> data in Yaesu's manuals but I referred directly to the manual before
> posting the information.
>
> 73,
>
>    ... Joe, W4TV
>
> On 8/10/2011 7:04 AM, Phil & Debbie Salas wrote:
>> "The FT-897 has an "extra" TX GND signal on the tip of the ACC jack.
>> A cable with stereo 3.5mm plug to RCA plug can be used to connect
>> the ACC jack to the KPA PA Key jack ... an off the shelf 3.5mm stereo
>> to 2 x RCA cable can be used for ALC and PA Key if desired."
>>
>> That ACC jack tip is for an INPUT to the FT-857/897.  I.e., grounding
>> this
>> input puts the radio into a CW transmit mode for tuning an external
>> tuner.
>> The ring is ALC.  You must use the miniDIN8 connector for amp keying.
>>
>> Phil - AD5X

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: KPA500 cables needed

AB3EN
Have you thought about a breakout board for the DB15 (VGA) connector. Check out this site http://www.winfordeng.com/products/brksd15hd.php This gives you easy access to the various pins for custom cables.
73
Dan AB3EN

Dan AB3EN