KPA500 fusing and cable-colouring

Paul Ormandy ZL4PW
Hi all,

Started assembling the KPA500 last night and noticed the use of fuses for the AC supply.

Unlike other parts of the world, we don't have individually fused socket outlets or plugs so I'll
incorporate a small enclosure with flush fuse holders.

Now, do I need to fuse both phase and neutral, and what are the correct colours? In New Zealand and
Australia (and most of the Commonwealth) we use red for phase and black for neutral.

Cheers,

Paul

--

Paul Ormandy, ZL4PW, Oamaru, New Zealand
http://www.zl4pw.orconhosting.net.nz/

Re: KPA500 fusing and cable-colouring

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2
Hi Paul,

The AC input module in the KPA500 has a place for you to put the fuses
- no need to build your own ;)

73,

    ~iain / N6ML

P.S. See also http://www.elecraft.com/manual/KPA500_fuse_install.pdf

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 8:26 PM, iain macdonnell - N6ML <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> The AC input module in the KPA500 has a place for you to put the fuses
> - no need to build your own ;)
>
> 73,
>
>    ~iain / N6ML
>

> On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 8:20 PM, Paul Ormandy ZL4PW <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Started assembling the KPA500 last night and noticed the use of fuses for the AC supply.
>>
>> Unlike other parts of the world, we don't have individually fused socket outlets or plugs so I'll
>> incorporate a small enclosure with flush fuse holders.
>>
>> Now, do I need to fuse both phase and neutral, and what are the correct colours? In New Zealand and
>> Australia (and most of the Commonwealth) we use red for phase and black for neutral.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Paul
>>

>> --
>>
>> Paul Ormandy, ZL4PW, Oamaru, New Zealand
>> http://www.zl4pw.orconhosting.net.nz/
>> www.radiodx.com

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: KPA500 fusing and cable-colouring

Matt Maguire
Actually, in Australia, the official colours are now brown for active (phase) and blue for neutral. It used to be red and black many years ago, but then they standardised on these new colours for some reason.

/Matt VK2ACL

On 03/09/2011, at 6:20 AM, Paul Ormandy ZL4PW <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Started assembling the KPA500 last night and noticed the use of fuses for the AC supply.
>
> Unlike other parts of the world, we don't have individually fused socket outlets or plugs so I'll
> incorporate a small enclosure with flush fuse holders.
>
> Now, do I need to fuse both phase and neutral, and what are the correct colours? In New Zealand and
> Australia (and most of the Commonwealth) we use red for phase and black for neutral.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Paul
>

> --
>
> Paul Ormandy, ZL4PW, Oamaru, New Zealand
> http://www.zl4pw.orconhosting.net.nz/
> www.radiodx.com

Re: KPA500 fusing and cable-colouring

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2
Presumably adopted this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60446

    ~iain / N6ML

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 8:53 PM, Matt Maguire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Actually, in Australia, the official colours are now brown for active (phase) and blue for neutral. It used to be red and black many years ago, but then they standardised on these new colours for some reason.
>
> /Matt VK2ACL
>

> On 03/09/2011, at 6:20 AM, Paul Ormandy ZL4PW <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Started assembling the KPA500 last night and noticed the use of fuses for the AC supply.
>>
>> Unlike other parts of the world, we don't have individually fused socket outlets or plugs so I'll
>> incorporate a small enclosure with flush fuse holders.
>>
>> Now, do I need to fuse both phase and neutral, and what are the correct colours? In New Zealand and
>> Australia (and most of the Commonwealth) we use red for phase and black for neutral.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Paul
>>

>> --
>>
>> Paul Ormandy, ZL4PW, Oamaru, New Zealand
>> http://www.zl4pw.orconhosting.net.nz/
>> www.radiodx.com

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: KPA500 fusing and cable-colouring

k6dgw
On 9/2/2011 1:53 PM, Matt Maguire wrote:
> Actually, in Australia, the official colours are now brown for active
> (phase) and blue for neutral. It used to be red and black many years
> ago, but then they standardised on these new colours for some
> reason.

Fuses are in the KPA500 nifty power receptacle on the back panel.  I run
my KPA500 on 120VAC and it works just fine.  Admittedly it's on a
separate circuit, I had a couple of them run into the shack during a
remodel about 10 years ago, but it runs fine on 120V.

And here in what began as a colonial empire, once electricity had been
invented, the author of the NEC decreed green for safety ground [earth],
white for neutral not to be confused with green, black for "hot" [phase,
active, "the donttouchit wire"] if it's 120 VAC RMS, and red if it's 240
VAC RMS.  Orange, yellow, violet, gray, and mauve apparently are not
used anywhere in the world?

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011
- www.cqp.org