KPA500 hi swr error

K5SM
I put up a 40 meter vertical with elevated ground plane today. The swr
is 1:1 at the bottom of the band (where I operate). For some reason,
after sending a few characters, the KPA 500 suddenly shows high swr and
faults. After resetting, the cycle begins again. I have an analog
swr/watt meter following the KPA500, and it does not show the swr
change. It has also done this on my 80 meter antenna. What is going on?

Bob

--
Robert Redmon K5SM
AMA 58073

Re: KPA500 hi swr error

Matt Zilmer
Something in the antenna or feedline connection might be arcing.

73,
matt W6NIA

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 18:41:06 -0500, you wrote:

>I put up a 40 meter vertical with elevated ground plane today. The swr
>is 1:1 at the bottom of the band (where I operate). For some reason,
>after sending a few characters, the KPA 500 suddenly shows high swr and
>faults. After resetting, the cycle begins again. I have an analog
>swr/watt meter following the KPA500, and it does not show the swr
>change. It has also done this on my 80 meter antenna. What is going on?
>
>Bob

Re: KPA500 hi swr error

Phil Salas
Does it work OK at 100 watts?  I had a similar problem several years ago with a different amplifier.  Everything worked well up to about 300-watts, then the amp would trip out.  Turned out to be a bad UHF elbow that arc'd at high power.

Phil - AD5X

Something in the antenna or feedline connection might be arcing.

73,
matt W6NIA

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 18:41:06 -0500, you wrote:

>I put up a 40 meter vertical with elevated ground plane today. The swr
>is 1:1 at the bottom of the band (where I operate). For some reason,
>after sending a few characters, the KPA 500 suddenly shows high swr and
>faults. After resetting, the cycle begins again. I have an analog
>swr/watt meter following the KPA500, and it does not show the swr
>change. It has also done this on my 80 meter antenna. What is going on?
>
>Bob

Re: KPA500 hi swr error

Cookie
I have had some arcing at 500 watts with my Radio Works 160 meter Carolina Windom which did not happen at lower power and other frequencies.  I suspect it is power and SWR related.

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ & Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart