KPA500 on 120 V vs 240 V

inventor61 .
I got a new K line from Santa (N1GMR) and built the K3 (loaded) and P3 in 1
day.  Works perfectly.

The KPA500 I had to assemble the next day. ;-)

The amp came from W6 with a 120 V line cord, so, I used that and plugged
into one of the three 20A 120 V circuits I have here in the shack.
Independent breaker.
12 AWG.  The PA made full power easily, ~76 V on the drains.

However, I did notice a bit of ceiling light flicker.  The
color-temp-controlled halogens are on a Lutron dimmer and *any* voltage
delta will show up on these bulbs.

So, I went to Stay On Line and bought their part #4833, a hospital-grade
NEMA 6-15 to IEC60320 cable, 3' long.  Cost was $9.  This plugs into my 240
V outlet.

Now, the same amp at the same drive level puts out a smidgen more peak
power (~30W on the calibrated LP-100; unloaded HV 76.5 V, ~63 V loaded).
And, what is better, no ceiling light flicker, even with my very sensitive
ambient lighting.

If you do the same thing, don't forget to flip the line voltage selector
and change the fuses!!

This story is brought to you by Georg Ohm and Leon Thevenin.  I stand on
the shoulders of giants.

Happy New Year to all.  I will try to be on for SKN.  2011 Elecraft K3
keyed by a 1942 Lionel J-38 operated by a 1961 Jackson Wise Acre, Serial
#1.  Life's good.

Steve KZ1X/4

Re: KPA500 on 120 V vs 240 V

Terry Schieler
KZ1X/4 wrote:

"So, I went to Stay On Line and bought their part #4833, a hospital-grade
NEMA 6-15 to IEC60320 cable, 3' long.  Cost was $9.  This plugs into my 240
V outlet."

If you are like me and require a longer version of this shielded power cord, the Stay-On-Line part number for the
6 foot version is #4834. ($13.00)

73,

Terry, W0FM

Re: KPA500 on 120 V vs 240 V

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
We also sell a 220V cable for he KPA500. :-)

73, Eric

www.elecraft.com

On 12/28/2011 2:47 PM, Terry Schieler wrote:

> KZ1X/4 wrote:
>
> "So, I went to Stay On Line and bought their part #4833, a hospital-grade
> NEMA 6-15 to IEC60320 cable, 3' long.  Cost was $9.  This plugs into my 240
> V outlet."
>

> If you are like me and require a longer version of this shielded power cord, the Stay-On-Line part number for the
> 6 foot version is #4834. ($13.00)
>
> 73,
>
> Terry, W0FM

Re: KPA500 on 120 V vs 240 V

Terry Schieler
A little birdie told me that Elecraft sells 220V cables too!  ;o)

Terry, W0FM

We also sell a 220V cable for he KPA500. :-)

73, Eric

www.elecraft.com

On 12/28/2011 2:47 PM, Terry Schieler wrote:

> KZ1X/4 wrote:
>
> "So, I went to Stay On Line and bought their part #4833, a hospital-grade
> NEMA 6-15 to IEC60320 cable, 3' long.  Cost was $9.  This plugs into my 240
> V outlet."
>

> If you are like me and require a longer version of this shielded power cord, the Stay-On-Line part number for the
> 6 foot version is #4834. ($13.00)
>
> 73,
>
> Terry, W0FM

Re: KPA500 on 120 V vs 240 V

inventor61 .
Well, what do you know ... Elecraft has the 240 V cord option on the price
list.

I had not seen that item before.  Is it new?

What is the length of this cord?

And in case I wasn't clear on my initial posting ... if you want a KPA500
but don't have a 240 V outlet, don't worry.
This amp works splendidly on a 120 V line.  25 or 30 watts drive easily
yields 500W out, the thing is loafing.

The main reason I use the 240 V line is because I already have the outlet
from my old tube amp.  Might as well.
Frees up the 120 V outlet for another wall wart or something.