KPA500 on RTTY

bobgarceau
Has anybody pushed the 500 limit on RTTY with the KPA500?

Especially in a contest.

I noticed that the fan does accelerate when using HP on RTTY.

Just wondering how the amp would hold up under 400-500 watts running on
RTTY.

Bob, W1EQ

Re: KPA500 on RTTY

Ed Muns, W0YK
Yes, the KPA500 runs cool at 500 watts all day long in a RTTY contest, as
designed.

Ed - W0YK

Bob, W1EQ, asked:
> Has anybody pushed the 500 limit on RTTY with the KPA500?
>
> Especially in a contest.
>
> I noticed that the fan does accelerate when using HP on RTTY.
>
> Just wondering how the amp would hold up under 400-500 watts
> running on RTTY.

Re: KPA500 on RTTY

Richard Squire - HB9ANM
Yes, Bob, the fan will accelerate during an RTTY contest (or during long transmissions in CW/SSB for that matter...) - this is normal.
If you set fan speed to 1 or 2 to start with (instead of NOR), you will notice temperature rise will be substantially reduced - and much slower. Good thing for the final transistors! This, by the way, was also recommended by Eric at Elecraft some time ago.

73
bobgarceau wrote
I noticed that the fan does accelerate when using HP on RTTY.

Bob, W1EQ
Richard - HB9ANM

Re: KPA500 on RTTY

Jim Brown-10
Good advice.  I run my KPA500 with all the lights lit in all modes,
including very aggressive RTTY contesting  As noted, the fan speeds up
with constant CQing, but never approaches maximum speed.  I also run it
this way for various WSJT modes, with the same performance. The
wattmeter, which I have not calibrated on the HF bands, says I'm getting
650-700 watts. The amp is quite well protected.

73, Jim K9YC