KPA500 questions

Dave Perry N4QS
To all,

I've now had my KPA500 for almost three weeks.  I really love it -- especially how well it interfaces to the K3 and makes changing bands so easy.  I used it yesterday to make about 120 QSOs in the DL-DX RTTY contest.  I was running it at 400 watts instead of a full 500 just to be conservative as I continue to break it in.  I have also used it quite a bit on 6M and even worked EU three times from Western KY using just a dipole.

I do notice a few clicks and pings coming from the amp.  These normally occur after the fan has kicked on and off or when the Temp is dropping back down into the high 40's C.  I assume that these clicks and pings are the normal operation of certain relays inside the amp.  The pings occur less frequently, but are quite noticeable.

The temp of the finals in the amp tend to be around 39C in standby.  Once I begin operating at full power the temp rises quickly to the mid 50s C.  I think I have seen it as high as 56C.  The fan normally comes on at slow speed at around 48C and then kicks into medium or high speed at 55C.  The fans are very quite, but noticeable through my Heil headset.

The amp operates flawlessly otherwise, but I wanted to put this out to the group to make sure that the clicks and pings are normal.  I have only been running the amp at 250W on 6m.  I try not to exceed 30 W of drive power on any band.

I am most interested if the occasional clicks and pings are normal.

Thanks,

Dave, N4QS

Dave Perry, N4QS
3600 Savoy Circle